Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
But, the NEX is just so damn easy, small, light. No charm, i know, it's a utilitarian box. But a damn good one. Now I have beautiful lenses for it too and its MF support makes using them a charm. The only reason I have kept justifying keeping Pentax has been AF especially with birding... Besides the allure of VF is not so great - I find I am much better at composing a shot looking at a screen.
Over the past six months I've sold most of my Pentax gear and haven't looked back. I still have a K-x and a few K-mount lenses gathering dust, so I may as well unload them too. Like you I found the NEX to be pure joy, and the articulating screen to be a god send - especially for composing from a variety of angles and heights. Like you I have found it much easier to compose on the screen with two eyes instead of one eye in an OVF. Moreover I get better results using Pentax M lenses with the NEX than I do with a Katzeye in my DSLR.

04-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Contax RF mount not SLR mount (the Contax S is an m42x1 mount)
2 different things

Contax RF is 34.85
Leica Screw (LTM) is 28.8

Jupiter 9 comes in both AFAIK

Zeiss RF use Leica M mount - 27.95

all these will work on a nex or m4/3
Good tip, I didn't know they had 2 mounts. It looks like you can get a few deals in Contax RF mount. The Zeiss lenses I was referring to were the Contax/Yashica mount lenses that they made for those cameras.
04-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Good tip, I didn't know they had 2 mounts. It looks like you can get a few deals in Contax RF mount. The Zeiss lenses I was referring to were the Contax/Yashica mount lenses that they made for those cameras.
Contax also has a Medium format mount, and the G mount 2 of the nicest camera systems ever built IMO and still very pricey even used and obsolete
04-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The most liberating thing about buying into a MILC system at this point is, if you don't mind manual focus, you can be basically mount agnostic. Good glass (FF with an aperture ring) will move anywhere, and if Pentax comes out with something you like, buy it and lose nothing. If someone else does, buy it, and you've gotta buy lenses for the new body, and the new stuff, plus all the old stuff you don't want to part with is still useful on the the MILC.

04-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Keep what you have right now and use it to record your family...don't add anything no matter how much you read on this forum "XYZ are the best". Your system is paid for selling and moving to another one will only start another round of buying spree which you don't/won't need if you keep current system...switching costs money in the long run as you will at some point have to add to get back to where you sold off....does that make any sense to you?

Keep your current set up as it's already been paid for...your new self-assignment is to document your family's growth, there is a reason those lenses are 'legacy/legendary"

avoid GBA/LBA from this point on to pay off your mortgage...unless you're in a really tough financial spot then by all means sell but don't start buying into another system.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh/blunt but paying bills has priority over any hobby.
04-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
Banned

If a FF Nex-9 comes out I will be interested but I will still keep my Pentax stuff and use my FF Pentax lenses on it with adapter.
04-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
Banned

Samyang lenses, designed for e-mount, with auto focus, are in development.
I saw the NX versions today and somehow they are larger and heavier than the K mount ones. Perhaps the extra mount material they added - they seem to have just recycled the SLR designs. If the NEX versions are anything like that, they're not going to be as compelling as they were for DSLRs. If they do attempt autofocus, I expect it will drive their prices higher and make other options more tempting.

04-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I saw the NX versions today and somehow they are larger and heavier than the K mount ones. Perhaps the extra mount material they added - they seem to have just recycled the SLR designs. If the NEX versions are anything like that, they're not going to be as compelling as they were for DSLRs. If they do attempt autofocus, I expect it will drive their prices higher and make other options more tempting.
That is unfortunate that they did that for the NX, and it doesn't bode well for the NEX. Hopefully they are new designs. I can see a lens of that size working out ok for the NX10 and NX20 though as those are DSLR styled and gripped, but not for the NX100 or 200. I figured the cost would go up, but considering there isn't a lot of AF options, and the NEX lens lineup is s sparse overall, they could still be attractive.
04-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #24
Banned

That is unfortunate that they did that for the NX
Yes, but on the bright side, the NX is getting a Samsung 85/1.4 that sounds pretty interesting.
04-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Keep what you have right now and use it to record your family...don't add anything no matter how much you read on this forum "XYZ are the best". Your system is paid for selling and moving to another one will only start another round of buying spree which you don't/won't need if you keep current system...switching costs money in the long run as you will at some point have to add to get back to where you sold off....does that make any sense to you?

Keep your current set up as it's already been paid for...your new self-assignment is to document your family's growth, there is a reason those lenses are 'legacy/legendary"

avoid GBA/LBA from this point on to pay off your mortgage...unless you're in a really tough financial spot then by all means sell but don't start buying into another system.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh/blunt but paying bills has priority over any hobby.
Best advice is right there. Buying into another system to save money is going backwards... soon you will want that new Zeiss lens. Then you want the zoom ..then this then that. You already got awesome compact glass. One of the smallest Dslr bodies out there.

I'd you needs to sell a few parts to make your ends meet that's cool. But to sell to rebuy.... backwards thinking. I was gonna go to Nikon...but realized I'd be way more broke.
05-01-2012, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #26
Inactive Account

@ Daniel

Do what you have to do, with your family and their economic interest as the main priority. The gear is not your priority and should never be so.

I just sold of my Pentax gear- K-7, DA15, FA31, FA43, FA77, *ist.

I did this with my young family as my first and main priority. And for some other reasons.
Im blessed with a beautiful son, soon to be 2 yo. The switch was long overdue to me, should have done it earlier.
I went from 90% nature photo to 90% family photo in 1,5 year.

Im not poor, but i could not see myself being so selfish to store those lenses for later. I'd rather put them straight into my family's best interests.
Doing things, going somewhere on vacation... pay of that old furniture loan or whatever...
To me, the switch gave me a bunch of money. From half of them i bought a used camera and one lens. The rest i put straight into the family.

And from that "half of the money bunch" i got myself a camera and lens that gives me more photographic joy than before for the 90% family stuff and
the rest 10% that i sometimes find time to do, well.... its good enough for that to.

For some people this does not make sense, well... if they dont understand its their problem. Personally im more happy now with photography.
If i was alone, if i did not have a family with young kids, things would look different.

Last edited by the swede; 05-01-2012 at 12:36 AM.
05-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I bought a 5N about 7-8 months ago as well as the viewfinder and other accessories for traveling. I have kept every single piece of my Pentax related gear. I am still anticipating the next big thing from Pentax.

I never understood the "leaving insert brand name here" mentality unless you are simply fed up and in that case, why look back?

Jason
05-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is a lot of good advice, a lot of wisdom on many levels here - thank you folks!

My problem is simply that LBA has got the better of me and I have a ridiculously lavish lens collection that we as a family cannot afford to keep (we have gone backwards with our loan repayments). Nor is my skill a match for it, though I do generally appreciate what better lenses offer. Collecting lenses is very enticing partly because often you can get your money back in the event of selling them. But my motto now is less is more, so I will try to downsize to about a quarter of my current collection (which should still leave me with plenty).

Getting a NEX was opening the floodgates precisely because I could now try all those lenses I had lusted after - Leica Summilux 50 ASPH - the king of 50mm, Minolta 58/1.2 - the king of bokeh, Canon 55/1.2 Aspherical - the king of sharpness, Cine lenses like the Schneider 50/0.95, Switars, the great Cosina Zeiss and Voigtlander, the tiny Perar that makes the whole system pocketable.... So many lenses, so little time (and even less money)!

Time to focus on getting the family budget back in black!
05-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I see this type of post fairly often.....not a problem for me to see someone leave or switch brands. If you have found something that makes you shoot more, enjoy it more, and bring you new pleasure, it has to be right for you.

Since I got my little "Toy Camera", the X10, back in November, 95% of all my shooting has been with it, and to this day I still get a thrill out of using it. Even though it often rivals my K5 in results, and sometimes exceeds it, particular for night shooting.....the K5 still has a place in my needs......like the coming wedding I will shoot in two weeks.

I like to see a happy shooter, excited, anxious to shoot, with a big smile on his face.........his brand or model matters little if he fits in that mold!

Best Regards!
05-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #30
Inactive Account

I admit that i was very brand "aware" at one point and couldnt see myself having another brand, especially one of the big ones, just because... no god reason at all.
Today i dont give a rats.. I actually sat the other day and thought of how i could redesign the front molding of my camera and replace the lettering with "Volvo"