Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Banned

Canon mirrorless with Four Thirds sized sensor?

QuoteQuote:
Canon released the Q1 earnings call and included some info about the future strategy. Canon says that they will launch compact cameras “offering the image qualities that approaches SLR cameras, with improved design and network connectivity features“. This sounds like they are close to launch the interchangeable mirrorless system. And that word” approaches” may give us the hint that they will use the Four Thirds sized sensor of the Canon G1X.
43 Rumors | Blog | (UPDATED) Big rumors from competition: Canon mirrorless with Four Thirds sized sensor?

05-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Should be interesting to watch what comes out this year.
05-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Banned

Note that the G1X does not use a MFT sized sensor. Its sensor is slightly larger than an MFT sensor: crop factor is 1.85x. Size is 14x18.7mm vs 13x17.3mm for MFT sensors. Close, but not the same.
05-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IMO, its another pointless late addition to the MILC market which is already rather well served with m4/3 and APS-C.

As with Nikon, Canon is finding it hard to introduce a camera that will cannibalize their DSLR sales.
Neither do they want m4/3 to benefit by releasing a m4/3 camera, so they introduce their own sensor format.
It would have stirred the pot a bit 2yrs ago, but I think the window has closed for new sensor format for MILC (except FF MILC)

05-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
IMO, its another pointless late addition to the MILC market which is already rather well served with m4/3 and APS-C.
Are you referring to the G1X or to this rumored future camera?

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
As with Nikon, Canon is finding it hard to introduce a camera that will cannibalize their DSLR sales.
Neither do they want m4/3 to benefit by releasing a m4/3 camera, so they introduce their own sensor format.
It would have stirred the pot a bit 2yrs ago, but I think the window has closed for new sensor format for MILC (except FF MILC)
I think Canon and Nikon can afford to enter the MILC market late. If Canon produces a micro-EF mount, maintaining compatibility with their EF lenses, I can bet that most Canon DSLR users will prefer the system just for that. I would even expect them to have a camera like this mostly designed so they can put it in production quickly if they find that they need to. So I wouldn't write them off just yet. But if they don't do anything for a couple of years, I expect it will become hard for them to catch up to the MFT ecosystem. To some extent, I think Canon was smarter to not commit to any system at all so far - I mean, compared to Nikon's introduction of the 1. It is going to be very interesting to see what these guys will be doing.