Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Canon time

Design Spotlight: Canon AE-D Mirrorless Camera System Concept | Gear Patrol

Maybe this has been posted before - I don't know. Exciting trends to come.

05-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not too hard to see the influence the Fuji X100 has had on camera design. I'm all for better looking cameras, and innovative features, we're lucky there is so much activity in the camera world.

Regards!
05-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why would a camera company give its customers what they want? That would be silly, wouldn't it?
05-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bleah.

First off, this appears to just be a concept made up by a designer. Nothing at all relating it to any actual Canon products.

Second, it appears to be more about design than making an actually useful camera. The aperture dial on the lens is IMO done wrong since "A" mode is next to wide open, whereas you would generally want it on the other end so to speak. Twist it "all the way" and it is wide open, like on the X100. Second, if the idea is that the shutter speed dial doubles as an ISO dial (ala older SLRs), well, I would rather be able to easily change it while looking through the viewfinder than fiddling with that. And where are buttons for zooming into images during review?

Blah, looks like some poorly thought out crap that is supposed to look "retro" and "cool".

05-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Indeed, it is a concept made by the designer David Riesenberg:

David Riesenberg

"Actually, this camera represents more of a fantasy rather than vision. Personally, I don’t actually see Canon going this route since it will probably be quite expensive. While pros and enthusiasts may welcome it, the bulk of the profit is in the sub 1K vicinity. Nonetheless, there is a market for such a system and that is something that I constantly kept in mind while working on the project. I wanted to conceive and design a product that could find its roots in reality. Both product/marketing wise and technical wise."