Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

whoaa, cool site! Thanks for the link.

05-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by privateryan Quote
I'm looking for a film camera I can carry in my pocket. Something lalong the lines of an Olympus Xa. I find I'm missing to many shots because my K20 is just to big to take with me everywhere. Got a kid on the way so my price range is only around $100. Suggestions?
Well, the Minolta TC-1, as rocked by Seal, is my pocketable dream camera... but considerably over US$100...

For $100 here in Hong Kong, you can get a Minolta Prod 20's. Beautiful camera, but a tad slow. They only made 20,000 of them, and they were Japan-only, so they seem to fetch higher prices in the US.

Cheaper, the Pentax Efino:

MINOLTA efina T?APS Film Camera? | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and the Pentax Espio:

PENTAX ESPIO 90MC?35mm Film Camera? | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

or the Espio Mini:

????????: ?????--PENTAX ESPIO MINI??
05-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Would you consider APS?

I still have my one of these... tiny! Smaller than a credit card when compacted. I must dig it out and have a play.

Fujifilm Tiara ix 1010 - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

Rare Fujifilm Tiara 1010ix APS Film Camera by TheGeekBoutique

Fujifilm Fotonex 1000ix MRC small luxury film camera | eBay
05-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've a bunch of small ones, but not all are small or rounded enough to fit in many pockets.

I've used a Yashica T4 for some twenty years, drove over it with a Toyota, and it still does the job. There are other variants, usually the older versions (e.g. T3) are cheaper because they aren't as celebrated on the net, as the T4 is likely going to go above your budget.

There are nice Olympus clamshell models, I can't keep track of them (and for me, unnecessary due to the Yashica), though a friend gave me one and it is very nice indeed. Again, pocket friendly. I think they are variously called MJU or Stylus Epic or Stylus. I do like these, and there are plenty to choose from.

05-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well for cheap most of the AF pocketable zoom cameras from the 90's are dirt cheap. I have a stylus zoom, a canon sureshot 120 and a pentax WR90 - all bought for $5 each at a value village. All functionally decent walkabout cameras. for more serious and better iq (minus the zoom convenience) I have an XA and am looking for a stylus. I had forgotten about the PC35AF, used to sell them great little camera.
problem with all the zoom models mentioned bloody ex[pensive batteries, but other than that they are good little cameras (the Stylus is my default weather resistant and tiny)
05-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
Banned

Pentax Espio Mini

Mini review – The Pentax Espio Mini | Japan Camera Hunter

05-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The Pentax Espio Mini
Sold in the USA with gold metallic finish (YECH!) as Pentax UC-1...

Chris

05-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Olympus XA is unique in that it is the only lightweight (plastic) "capsule" design 35mm with rangefinder.
Due to its tiny dimensions the extremely short-base rangefinder is neither real accurate nor easy to use.

After 30 years I gave away my XA because I found it too "fiddly" to operate easily and quickly.
In my experience scale focus, zone focus or autofocus models are usually easier to use.
The semi-wide angle lens (~35mm) lens typically found on these has great depth-of-field.

IMO a good lightweight pocket 35mm camera is absolutely indispensible.
I use them far more often than my Pentax SLRs. In fact I always carry one.
Whenever I buy a jacket I even make sure it has an inside chest pocket.
This type of camera is near and dear to my heart - quite literally!

I use a Contax T rangefinder and Minox 35ML, Olympus XA2, and Ricoh FF-1s scale-focus models
as well as Konica Big Mini, Olympus Stylus/Stylus Epic and Pentax Espio Mini/UC-1 autofocus cameras.

Also recommended but probably too large, and heavier due to their metal construction:
Petri Color 35 and Konica C35v scale-focus cameras
Konica C35, Ricoh 500G and Olympus 35RC rangefinder cameras

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-18-2012 at 05:07 PM.
05-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

my konica c35 is a nice little cam but not pocketable
05-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
Banned

other than the really tiny guys such as the rollei 35 or the arguably much better Petri Color 35, I'm not sure any camera is truly 'pocketable' unless you have big pockets. and with a 100 price range you are pushing the limits, i think of whats available. given your stated criteria. I think the best bang for your buck would be an olympus 35 RC. however, my personal 'pocket' camera is the very rugged Ricoh GR1. a cult camera in japan, and for good reason. but a little more expensive and a little less pocketable. also the fuji Klasse series is nice. I would recommend the wonderful Contax T2, but I think its to far above your budget.

but I think you should give the Olmypus 35 RC a heavy look. its a superb little camera. the RD is arguably better, but at a higher cost and a bit larger and heavier, so the RC is the better choice. but I think, personally, using an older camera such as that, to gain the portability isn't the best move. you make quite a number of sacrifices and you could run into frustrations in everyday use. so as a general recommendation, I have to say the Ricoh GR1 series. either an S or a V model. or maybe a Yashica T4 Super, with excellent Zeiss lens.
05-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Pentax 105R Date.
35-105 zoom...HEAPS of features...bought ours S/H nearly 20 yrs ago...still going strong.....originally bought it for wifey to use in an overseas trip (she knows NOTHING about photography!)...she took 10 rolls X 36 exp...not even one failure!
Still going strong!
Cheers, Pickles.
05-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Pentax 105R Date.
35-105 zoom...HEAPS of features...bought ours S/H nearly 20 yrs ago...still going strong.....originally bought it for wifey to use in an overseas trip (she knows NOTHING about photography!)...she took 10 rolls X 36 exp...not even one failure!
Still going strong!
Cheers, Pickles.
most of the zoom P/S from that era are quite good within their limitations. I have a canon sureshot zoom 115QD and a Pentax Zoom 90WR both excellent little cameras (that i would gladly use over a digital P/S since i can manipulate DOF much easier on 35mm)
05-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite a few of the cameras so far recommended in this thread are by no stretch of the imagination pocketable.
Unless of course you still wear cargo pants...

Chris
05-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Quite a few of the cameras so far recommended in this thread are by no stretch of the imagination pocketable.
Unless of course you still wear cargo pants...
Still?!?!? Almost always!

But yeah, more than a few of these might require a belt pouch, at least. Or an under-arm holster.

And some very-compact 135s might have been fine for Kodacolor printed on textured paper, but might not be too great by modern standards. Like my Vivitar IC-400, and those 4-pix-per-shot Lomos, etc. Many are available in thrift shops for a buck or two, and might even be worth that much, maybe.