Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weddings and other hires

I've recent been getting asked by friends, colleagues, family, people I don't know to shoot their weddings, family cards, etc. This has caused a shift in my photography skill direction to portraiture. In fact i have become addicted to it.

However I'm starting to find that my K5 is really only giving me best results with my fa77 and m28 lenses.

I recently came into a nikkor 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 and a d50. The lenses in question are FF. So of course I'm now thinking of adding an D800 to my collection.

But its a hell of lot of camera. If I'm primarily shooting in daylight or studio conditions would a used D700 be suitable? Or is the extra oomph of the 800 be a better choice.

I'd still keep my Pentax rig as I don't think a heavy as hell FF could replace my compact K5 rig for my usual shooting... but you never know until you go there

I should add that I have a need for a backup as i am constantly over running the buffer of my k5.

I shoot 100% manual 90% of the time so AF is not a concern anymore for me.

Last edited by Wired; 05-20-2012 at 11:19 PM.
05-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know if you like live view when manually focussing, but the D800's implementation of LV is 100% better than the D700. If that's not too important, then it might be worthwhile to get the D700 and a quality lens. If you're shooting weddings, something like the 24-70mm f2.8 would be good to have. But, I'm no pro and this is coming from a guy who wanted the D800 because it was the latest and the greatest, not because it was "right" for me.
05-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You see, that's something that matters, just as much as FF is a wanted feature - weight is important.
Your DA 40 and Tamron 90 make great portrait lenses too. Not as fast as the FA 77, but still capable enough for weddings on the K-5.
But the D700 and D800 are fine cameras. As for which would do for you - it would be both - you just have to decide how much you're happy to invest into it.
As mentioned, LV is awesome on the D800, but the D700 is a VERY capable camera.
05-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I shoot 100% manual 90% of the time so AF is not a concern anymore for me.

I shoot ninety percent manual one hundred percent of the time.

Before investing into the Nikon market; why not consider renting both a Nikon body and at least two lens. Also strongly weigh the lighting options

05-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I shoot ninety percent manual one hundred percent of the time.

Before investing into the Nikon market; why not consider renting both a Nikon body and at least two lens. Also strongly weigh the lighting options
Going to definatley be renting before purchasing. I'll probably rent both a D800/E and a Canon 5D MKII (if available) with a fast 50 and fast 85 to see which I prefer. I think I'm leaning towards Nikon already having handled a 5D in the past and not liked the setup. Canon's just feel so very strange to me.

Or if that 600D shows up.... since I'm pretty much all manual having no screw drive (if rumors are true) would not be a huge issue for me.
05-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually have trouble composing in live view for some reason. Unless I'm running the Q. But I can't seem to gel with LV on my K5 for some reason.

I think it will come down to budget and market offerings over the next two months. If the unicorn pentax FF gets an announcement ill probably rent until its release which is another viable option