Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I missed this the first time around - sorry what?

On what planet is a f0.95 slower than an f1.8?
There are a gazzilion posts that explain equivalence, I don't want to rehash them.

05-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
There are a gazzilion posts that explain equivalence.
Which is why I'm puzzled that people still think lenses will be magically slower on Micro Four Thirds...

Have you never noticed that the only variables you need when using a handheld light meter are aperture, shutter and iso?
05-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which is why I'm puzzled that people still think lenses will be magically slower on Micro Four Thirds...

Have you never noticed that the only variables you need when using a handheld light meter are aperture, shutter and iso?
Likely people are getting exposure and total sensor light collection confused.
05-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Not sure what you mean by 'beat it'? The reviews so far seem to think it's very sharp from wide open, and the OMD sensor is awful close to the K-5 in performance... Stick them together and you'll have a pretty high-performance kit...

These are the current fixed f2.8 zooms for APS, and their prices on B&H:

Pentax DA* 16-50/f2.8 SDM - $1499USD
Canon EF-S 17-55/f2.8 IS USM - $1179USD
Nikon 17-55/f2.8G - $1449USD
Sony 16-50/f2.8 DT - $800USD

That puts the Lumix 12-35mm about ball-park, assuming that the Amazon pre-order price will be the normal street-price, which it probably won't.

I'm not sure what you'd expect to pay for a fixed f2.8 with weather-sealing, metal build, in-built IS and outstanding optical quality?
Perhaps half of what I'd pay for one that was suitable for FF. The Panasonic LX5 has an equivalent of a 24-90 f/2.0 - f/3.3 lens on it, but it doesn't cost what that same lens would cost on FF. Why not? Because the much smaller sensor means the optics are far cheaper to produce. Exactly the same applies to APS-C and 4/3ds, but most of the time Panasonic & Olympus do not seem to realise this.

05-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'd never give up my FA31 though. Of course the other reason it costs so much is its a FF wide angle lens with a fast aperture, these are not cheap anyway..
Are you actually using the FA 31 on a digital FF camera?
05-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Likely people are getting exposure and total sensor light collection confused.
twitch just means that the 17/0.95 is the equivalent of a 35/1.9 lens on FF. The FA31 being 1.8 makes it faster (ignoring actual light transmission factors).
05-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The Panasonic LX5 has an equivalent of a 24-90 f/2.0 - f/3.3 lens on it, but it doesn't cost what that same lens would cost on FF. Why not? Because the much smaller sensor means the optics are far cheaper to produce.
Another way of looking at it is that the FF equivalent of the LX5 lens is f/8.6-f/14.19. You get what you pay for

05-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
twitch just means that the 17/0.95 is the equivalent of a 35/1.9 lens on FF. The FA31 being 1.8 makes it faster (ignoring actual light transmission factors).
No, f/0.95 is f/0.95 regardless of what camera it is mounted on.

Here you go, maybe you can go argue with the wiki editors to see if your point of view is accepted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_speed

Or Canon.
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/lenses/lens_speed.do

You can't just arbitrarily redefine the meaning of "lens speed" to fit your needs. There is a pretty well accepted definition for it, and that is that the aperture and focal length is what determines it, not the sensor size...

Last edited by pingflood; 05-23-2012 at 12:28 AM.
05-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I have always thought comparing everything to a full frame camera is a bit silly (it is also Ironic that I called it a full frame camera...as if a M4/3 camera is only part of a frame ). Just think about it. I could compare your full frame camera to a medium format camera, or large format camera, and show that a full frame camera does not provide enough control over depth of field. This difference may be important to some, but not to others. For me the comparison between full frame and M4/3 is irrelevant (full frame is out of the size range I desire and out of my price range). I am more interested in the comparison between M4/3 and APS-C (which I hear is fairly negligible... particularly if you are in the habit of cropping to a 4/3 aspect ratio).

I understand that a full frame makes a good benchmark for comparison, but a full frame camera is not necessarily the end-all of camera formats.
05-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Very pricey for a f2.8 zoom that covers 24-70mm equivalent, though these are never cheap for any OEM lens.
Personally, m4/3 needs to be cheap/fast/small as a 2nd "forgetable" system. I will stick to my 14/20/45 for now.
The 20 and 45mm are at least 1 stop faster and gives a bit more of that DOF control that m4/3 has less of.

I agree somewhat with an opinion given above that for the cost of the lens, f2.8 light gathering ability aside, its almost like a 18-55 kit lens on K5 when if comes to DOF options/control.
05-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Lots of small image circle lenses command high prices. M4/3s isn't a value system, though many of us would like it to be, it is a compact one. That said, I would rather have primes.
05-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Lots of small image circle lenses command high prices. M4/3s isn't a value system, though many of us would like it to be, it is a compact one. That said, I would rather have primes.
There is value to be had. The GF3 was recently sold on amazon with a 14/2.5 prime for $314. A high quality prime on a large sensor compact at that price, I would say that is value.

Doesn't mean all the gear is cheap. But even the 20/1.7 which is outstanding is pretty affordable.
05-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #28
Veteran Member

There is value to be had. The GF3 was recently sold on amazon with a 14/2.5 prime for $314. A high quality prime on a large sensor compact at that price, I would say that is value.

Doesn't mean all the gear is cheap. But even the 20/1.7 which is outstanding is pretty affordable.
Agreed, I didn't say it was a premium system either. Just like there are deals to be had from all the major DSLR makers, you can get deals for m4/3 too, but they also have pricey premium lenses. That GF3 deal was pretty amazing. I should have got my mom that instead of the $200 Olympus EP-1 + 14-42 kit.
05-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
Banned

No, f/0.95 is f/0.95 regardless of what camera it is mounted on.
You are talking about lens speed and twitch is talking about lens equivalence. So there is nothing to argue here, just try to understand what other parties are talking about.
05-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
You are talking about lens speed and twitch is talking about lens equivalence. So there is nothing to argue here, just try to understand what other parties are talking about.
You both are using the terms "slower" and "faster" which is plain misleading and incorrect. Lens speed is well defined. Saying that a lens is "slower" or "faster" because of DOF differences is just weird.