Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Switchback!

I've about made up my mind that it's time to come back from the dark side and into the Pentax light.

I've shot w/ Canon over the last couple of years and while I have some really nice gear, it's just not the same as when I shot w/ Pentax before. I started out w/ a 40D, then went to a 5D, but I'm still not happier than I was when I had my Pentax. The Canon is a bit too bulky for my taste and the autofocus is not that great. If I wanted to stick w/ FF, there's no way I can afford to upgrade to the 5DIII. Overall, I was happier with the IQ I was getting w/ my Pentax than the Canon FF.

One of the factors in my decision is the K5. Not only is it a good deal smaller than the 5D, the AF has been improved and is supposed to be a good bit better than the K20 I used to have. I'd also like to have my kit be small enough to fit into my Crumpler 5M$ bag; that is possible w/ the K5 and 3 smallish lenses--a wide walkaround zoom, a telezoom, and a macro.

One of my other hobbies is knitting and there is a quote in the knitting world that says "Knitting is spoze to be fun!" When I apply it to my photography, I had more fun w/ the Pentax than I've had w/ the Canon (not that Canon has been horrible or anything). The Pentax is just more fun to use.

I'm on vacation now and get home on Saturday and I plan on listing my Canon gear for sale shortly after that. Right now, I'm really tempted just to pull out the plastic and hit the "order" button so I can start making this happen now.

Glad to be back (almost).

Heather

05-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I've about made up my mind that it's time to come back from the dark side and into the Pentax light.

I've shot w/ Canon over the last couple of years and while I have some really nice gear, it's just not the same as when I shot w/ Pentax before. I started out w/ a 40D, then went to a 5D, but I'm still not happier than I was when I had my Pentax. The Canon is a bit too bulky for my taste and the autofocus is not that great. If I wanted to stick w/ FF, there's no way I can afford to upgrade to the 5DIII. Overall, I was happier with the IQ I was getting w/ my Pentax than the Canon FF.

One of the factors in my decision is the K5. Not only is it a good deal smaller than the 5D, the AF has been improved and is supposed to be a good bit better than the K20 I used to have. I'd also like to have my kit be small enough to fit into my Crumpler 5M$ bag; that is possible w/ the K5 and 3 smallish lenses--a wide walkaround zoom, a telezoom, and a macro.

One of my other hobbies is knitting and there is a quote in the knitting world that says "Knitting is spoze to be fun!" When I apply it to my photography, I had more fun w/ the Pentax than I've had w/ the Canon (not that Canon has been horrible or anything). The Pentax is just more fun to use.

I'm on vacation now and get home on Saturday and I plan on listing my Canon gear for sale shortly after that. Right now, I'm really tempted just to pull out the plastic and hit the "order" button so I can start making this happen now.

Glad to be back (almost).

Heather

*blink.* Heather! That was good timing for me to be skimming forum headers. Welcome back.
05-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey Heather, welcome back! I remember you from the heady days of 2008
05-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good to have you back! I had listed your very handsome blog in my favorites under Pentax sites before you went to the "dark side" and fortunately I never removed it. Prophetic? Dunno. Probably just my librarian intuition.

I visited your "new" blog for the first time in a while. Kudos to your Burgess Falls shot. Really fine.

Knitting, spinning .... when will you break into weaving? My mother knitted, sewed and, when they moved to West Virginia when my father returned to teaching, bought a 4 headle floor loom, and wove some lovely things. old traditional patterns. I wish she'd given me a call before she sold it.

When are you going to break the news of your return to the Pentax fold to the Canon folk out there? I don't know how well they handle apostasy....

05-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome back, Heather. A lot has changed with the K-5 since your last Pentax. I hope you'll post your thoughts.
05-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've already listed most of my Canon gear up for sale. I've managed to sell a few small things already, but I'm hoping that the long weekend will bring more sales, particularly of the bigger-ticket items.

As it turns out, my 5D already has a new home--with my Dad. Since Mom didn't want him to spend any money to make the 5D happen for him, I got his 100 L macro and I'm going to sell that. He's planning on selling his 50D and passing the $$$ along to Mom, which will make her quite happy.

If you happen to know anybody who's looking for some Canon gear, send them my way. I've got most everything listed on the For Sale board.

Heather
05-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome back Heather.

You were missed.

Tom G

05-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ordered my K5 this morning! :-D
05-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you were using a K10 or K20 when you made the switch you will notice a big difference.

Tom G
05-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was using the K20 at the time I switched, so I'm looking forward to having a smaller, even better camera w/ the K5. I did some rough math and I'm figuring that the K5/Sigma 17-70 will be at least a half-pound lighter than the 5D/24-105L.

I'm just waiting until tomorrow night at 9:45 when B&H reopens their online ordering so I can pick up the Sigma 17-70.

Edit...I saw a FA100/2.8 macro at KEH that I had to have, so I just ordered it.

Heather

Last edited by heatherslightbox; 05-27-2012 at 07:13 PM.
05-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

Welcome back. I remember when you left. I thought you would be back!
05-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Welcome back. I remember when you left. I thought you would be back!

Now that I think about it, I think that all along there was some small kernel inside of me that had that feeling.

Pentax just fits me, not only as a photographer, but a person. Not only do I love shooting w/ Pentax, I love Pentaxians, as well. As I read the posts welcoming me back, it brings tears to my eyes (in a good way of course).

Now, if my Pentax gear would just hurry up and get here...

♥ Heather
05-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's here!!

Battery is charging. Just waiting on some lenses to get here.