Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony pancake zoom for NEX

At least that is what the rumors are...a 16-50 pancake G series zoom...

sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR5) Hot! the new G lens zoom is a pancake!!!

For NEX users who appreciate the small footprint, this is certainly good news.

Jason

05-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't particularly like zooms, but if this thing will be good enough wide open (distortion, CA, sharpness) I'll buy it.
05-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I didn't buy the kit lens so this is interesting to me.
05-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It's not really a pancake, it's a collapsible lens like the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42 mm f/3,5-5,6 OIS.

05-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If such a thing has decent image quality, NEX would finally be an interesting system, as opposed to a disappointing system with some cool bodies that are nice for legacy glass.

Go for it, Sony.
05-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, a collapsible lens with half decent image quality would make many happy. My main gripe with the NEX (and the reason I did not buy a NEX-7) is the lack of high quality as well as compact lenses. The only real "compact" is the 16/2.8, and it appears to be a quite poor performer on the NEX-7 body. The Sigma 30 looks pretty small and quite good, but I have been burned by Sigma multiple times and now refuse to purchase any of their gear.
05-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The NEX is the king of adapted lenses. Give it a try and you'll give up on AF for most applications. You can buy a set of Contax Zeiss G lenses for less than $1500(28, 45, 90). Pair those with a NEX 5N and you have a great system for about $2k.

05-26-2012, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
If such a thing has decent image quality, NEX would finally be an interesting system, as opposed to a disappointing system with some cool bodies that are nice for legacy glass.

Go for it, Sony.
I don't find the system disappointing at all, legacy glass or not. My little 5N is a performer, that's for sure.

Jason
05-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The NEX is the king of adapted lenses. Give it a try and you'll give up on AF for most applications. You can buy a set of Contax Zeiss G lenses for less than $1500(28, 45, 90). Pair those with a NEX 5N and you have a great system for about $2k.
How well does manual focus work when you are chasing toddlers around? I know there are a lot of other things the NEX system does well, but it feels a little weak in that area. Maybe this zoom will get it more legs.
05-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
How well does manual focus work when you are chasing toddlers around? I know there are a lot of other things the NEX system does well, but it feels a little weak in that area. Maybe this zoom will get it more legs.
It works very well. I think you would be surprised. I sold off a bunch of my manual glass and my k20d with katzeye because I couldn't keep up with my daughter, but it turns out I just needed a NEX. Works well on dogs too. One guy joked with me when I asked how well it works for birding, and he said it is about as fast as SDM.
05-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
One guy joked with me when I asked how well it works for birding, and he said it is about as fast as SDM.
I lied... it's faster than SDM.
05-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the link. Very disappointed if 5.6 at the long end.
Was hoping for a 3.5-4.5, or 4 through. interested by the range of 16-50mm (being dying to replace my 16-45mm Pentax).

I must have a great copy of the sony kit lens - best kit I've ever had by a long way. Quite happy with it.
05-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I don't find the system disappointing at all, legacy glass or not. My little 5N is a performer, that's for sure.

Jason
Undeniably, the 5n (and the rest) are great with legacy glass or perhaps the 50mm or 24mm. I stand by my statement that NEX as a system (no legacy glass included) is a bit ho-hum at the moment; a couple good primes and a handful of other mediocre lenses, plus maybe a flash and a mic... the NEX bodies are great, but within the system, they lack good glass to do the bodies justice. The concept the system promises, in theory, is high performance in a very compact package. The bodies do quite well on that count, but the lenses do not deliver. A lens that's both small AND a good performer would change that. It's great that they work so well with legacy glass and I've often considered one for that exact reason, but most of the best legacy glass options aren't terribly compact on the NEX either, functionally speaking. Sony needs to come through with lenses that deliver on the system's potential. It deserves to be more than a friendly platform for old lenses.
10-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any NEX owners have this lens yet? I am curious how it compares to the normal 18-55 kit lens...I need something small and versatile for this days when only the smallest set up will do. Experiences welcomed.

Jason
11-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a review from ephotozine.com and it scored as "recommended" with its fair share of pros and cons, as with any lens.

Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens Review

The Sony E16-50mm standard zoom kit lens performs well for its price.
Sony E16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Pros
Good build quality
Compact when collapsed
Lightweight
Effective optical stabilisation
Well priced

Sony E16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Cons
Collapsible design adds a delay between switching on the camera and being able to taken an image
Loss of contrast when shooting into the light

By the way, the new Sony E mount 35/1.8 scored as "highly recommended". Review in link below:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-e-35mm-f-1-8-oss-lens-review-20665