Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Medium Format Film after D800

I've been wanting to try a medium format film rangefinder for a while. Since the D800 came out, I've noticed an increase in the number of MF cameras on the market. It seems people are dumping them, but the prices are still high.

Does it even make sense to get a MF rangefinder? Has anyone got one and thought it was not worth the hassle and film expense after all?

The new GF670W wide angle costs as much as a D800. Wouldn't it make more sense to follow the shaving products model and make the money through film? I guess MF film is expensive anyways so it doesn't matter?

06-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Personally, the MP for film vs digital is over.
However, for prints and/or normal viewing, MF film is as relevant as ever (ie. picture making)
Prints are nice, sharp and colors are very nice (it can get a bit more dicey for digital prints from my experience (limited), esp the color part)
Neither is it expensive at all compare to any FF camera except for a 2nd hand 5D.

For me I've found relevance and justification of its running costs in film for portraits (esp. family)
Landscape, and other stuff, I prefer digital.

Film plus development to negatives in a lab costs about $8.4 ($4 film+4.4 dev) for me.
AFAIK, its even cheaper to develop B&W at home. (Probably $0.50 per roll or less)
Digitize with my DSLR+100mm macro, good enough for viewing and the web.

Divide the cost ($8.4) over the cost of a DSLR which typically have 1-3yr lifespans before the next best thing and its still quite cheap.
06-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

From an economic / logical pov, I'm not sure any of this makes sense

But from a hobby, let's enjoy ourselves, pov: I think it makes great sense to mess with 120 cameras. Even if your wish is for contemporary RF cameras (let's say the '80s to now) there are several to choose from - you don't have to choose a brand new one, and with most used ones your 'rent' should you sell it later will be much less than buying the latest digital and then selling it in 3 years.

And yes, running film through the camera is not all that expensive. Home dev + scan or photography of the film is even cheaper like pinholecam says.
06-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I still shoot a MF rangefinder as well as others. I shoot film because I want to more so than if it makes economic sense. And I think in the end that is what it comes down to for most people.

I don't exclusively shoot film like most people and really my film costs are not that much in the overall scheme. So if you're just curious about it and want to snap some on occasion, Nesster's advise about shopping around for a used camera is the way to go.

06-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the thoughts. It looks like I'll have to learn how to self meter with one of those huge Fujis. I want the Mamiya RF, but it's just too much still. I looked at old folders, but want something made after 1980 with a bright finder.
06-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If 6x4.5 suffices, Fuji has smaller RF's including a folding one... (To be honest here, I'm jealous and living vicariously though you here... I've gone the vintage / variety route and piled cameras high and wide... and spent just as much if not more than if i'd gone for one of the Fujis for example - or a 35mm Leica for that matter)
06-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
If 6x4.5 suffices, Fuji has smaller RF's including a folding one... (To be honest here, I'm jealous and living vicariously though you here... I've gone the vintage / variety route and piled cameras high and wide... and spent just as much if not more than if i'd gone for one of the Fujis for example - or a 35mm Leica for that matter)
I'm hoping for 6x7 or 6x9. That way scanning will be easier. Hopefully I can find something inexpensive. The one deal I saw on the auction site was pulled. The classic "item is no longer available". I feel auctions should go both ways. If you have to commit to buying it, the seller should have to commit to selling it. Or lose some stars if you cancel auctions too often. Most times I see the same "item no longer available" relisted several days later.