Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
The Mikro Nikkor 105 VR is incredibly sharp from anything I've seen and read, it is definitely high on my list after a UWA and the 70-200.
I own the 105 VR. It's really a very good lens, razor sharp and besides macro it's really great for close-ups and portraiture. You can't be wrong by getting that lens.

06-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
When I finally get mine, I will put a Pentax strap on it. Thats how much I dislike it .

I am apparently the only one who ordered the E version in my city, from a chain in Canada. The way Nikon is handling this distribution system is embarrassing. Then, the way the big chains are handling the problem is even worse. I have NO idea how much longer before its delivered, and I have now pre-ordered from 2 places as of this month...Next month I will prob pre-order from a third place...this is not what customers should be doing, lol.

Worse, I know I will like my K5 better for its handling (I have small hands), shape (Its sexier), shutter sound (apparently its as quiet as an M9?), weight.
Well I have to admit, the K-5 felt better in the hand, the buttons were more logically laid out and as usual Pentax's menu system is laid out better.. The K-5's shutter is quieter, but it's not like the D800 is as load as an old D3 or even a new Fuji X-Pro 100. I wanted the D800e, but I didn't want the wait, and I figure that extra money can go to glass... sure is hard to beat the D800's AF and Resolution!
06-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 123ben Quote
I own the 105 VR. It's really a very good lens, razor sharp and besides macro it's really great for close-ups and portraiture. You can't be wrong by getting that lens.
Well that was my thoughts as well.. instead of getting an 85mm 1.8G, I'll get the 105 VR.
06-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Is that D800 with grip?
Yes it is.

06-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Alright guys....(deep breath)

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. They called me in. My D800e is here. Let the comparison begin! By the way, how would the 85 1.4G compare to the 70-200 VR2 at the 85mm range?
06-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Okay guys. Unboxing a few minutes ago.

- The 70-200 alone is longer than my pentax with 50-135 on it.
- The weight is...atrocious
- I know my AF was slow in the 50-135..but this thing, twice the length, thrice the weight is so much faster in auto focusing. Thrice or so.
- I like the colour rendering more on the nikon preview image, but who knows what the real image looks like...i dont have a CF card reader yet. lol. I think. Will hunt in a bit.
- I am not sure i like the button placements, but they look manageable to me, and seems pretty intuitive. The only difference is since I have to be pumping lead to hold this camera, switching buttons in this camera is a chore, no matter where they are placed.

I think it will make a great backup to my pentax
06-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
- I like the colour rendering more on the nikon preview image, but who knows what the real image looks like...i dont have a CF card reader yet. lol. I think. Will hunt in a bit.
Plug the camera right into your computer with the included cable. I never use a CF card reader

Have fun!

06-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

If weight and overall size were an issue, why would you buy the D800e + 70-200?? The reviews posts specs of dimensions and weight of damn near anything you can think of.. I'll gladly send you my 24-120 as straight across trade for your 70-200 to save you that cumbersome beast of a lens... lol..

After shooting with it your new setup you will not worry about the size or weight for the amazing IQ!

My big decision is what CF card to get.. right now I'm just shooting with an SDHC!!
06-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

oo thats right. Thanks J. I have had too many boxes today, I didnt think of that

@chex ahaha, nice try But I will keep the cumbersome beast . I do know how big/heavy it was gonna be - but holding it just makes me appreciate my K5 more. I can't deny the AF speed (the main reason I bought it for),

06-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Alright guys. Here is a new saying I just made up. I want to be famous, so please quote me

Re: Nikon D800e. Amazing AF. I thought my camera front focuses - but you have a speck of dust on your glasses,

06-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #41
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My D800e finally arrived at the store yesterday. So far most time I have spent getting to know it but from the few pictures I have taken it's simply breathtaking piece of camera. I keep looking at the pictures on the computer screen, zooming in and the detail does not seem to end.
06-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Hm...

Did a little test shot to compare AF...i am not sure if I am more impressed about the D800 or depressed about K5 AF. And I am also not sure whether I just raised my standard and its unfair. I need to test the K5 against something like a Canon 7D...something more in the same class, I think.

To be fair, I did not do a tripod, controlled test. It was uncontrolled, as far as two strobes and a model go.

To be very fair, real life shooting isnt controlled.

hmm. Amazingly not a happy camper with my situation. LOL.
06-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Nikon has been miles ahead of Pentax in speed of AF since film days. If Pentax being slower depresses you, you bought the wrong system.
06-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Actually it was the accuracy. Both files looked fine in small preview...but on magnification to the eyeballs, its clear that both camera focuses a little more to the eyebrow/eyelid - but Pentax's one was more off.

I need to see the files in computer first. I am so used to stopping down with Pentax.

- I would never purposefully shoot below 5.6 when shooting model - i am too scared to go open up the files and finding all of them front focuses or back focuses.
- I also microadjust the AF afterwards, always. Sometimes I miss the moment, but I chalk it up to ...well, normal.

The particular lens /camera combo i have for nikon was working well. I shot 1 stop above 2.8, and didnt need to micro adjust. I am not sure I can at this point with a nikon lens, havent even looked into it. Again, given that some people are complaining to the accuracy of the left bank of Nikon's AF...i may just be lucky with my version.

Now to be honest, I dont know if my particular pentax camera / lens could use adjustment. I am not sure. I want to send it to Pentax. How do I go about this? You know, sending the camera and lens together and they make them go well together.

Either way, I am not a happy camper with the gap between the cameras I own...not the system itself. I am still a huge advocate of a camera being a tool. On the other hand, its a very limited usage. When I do wedding family formal shot come Wednesday, I will be stopping down on both cameras as I need to take family pictures. Then everything will be just fine.

Edit: I am NOT sure whether it is more off because it is more off, or because the Nikon one has so much more resolution that it LOOKS less off.
06-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Edit: I am NOT sure whether it is more off because it is more off, or because the Nikon one has so much more resolution that it LOOKS less off.
That would be over-thinking... you gotta go for the best picture with the equipment you have. There are descriptions on the site that tell you how to adjust the lens to the camera if you think the focus is off. I've never needed it so I don't know much about it, just that it can be done.