Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That would be over-thinking... you gotta go for the best picture with the equipment you have. There are descriptions on the site that tell you how to adjust the lens to the camera if you think the focus is off. I've never needed it so I don't know much about it, just that it can be done.
You are right ... And practical I guess I need to do it. If you mean lens correction , I know how to do it, I just didn't really like doing a different setting for each lens I own. I'd have to start carrying cheat sheet with me. But getting keepers would be more important

06-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
I am so used to stopping down with Pentax.
Actually AF accuracy is a strength of the K-5. It is not the fastest and can struggle with low light, but the AF accuracy is fine (better than other brands, according to a test published a while ago).

After having performed an AF adjustment on my K100D, the camera focused very reliably, even when shooting at f/1.8 or similar.

Last edited by Class A; 06-30-2012 at 12:42 AM.
06-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I'd have to start carrying cheat sheet with me. But getting keepers would be more important
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if it was a Pentax lens, it would remember the adjustment for the lens once made and set the correction for you when you mount the lens on the camera. Or was I dreaming?
06-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I found the K-5's focus accuracy fine after adjusting in the Custom Settings menu.. the DA 18-135 and FA 43 I mainly used were bang on every time after adjustment.. just tracking the kids sure was harder than with the D800's amazing 3D and constant tracking AF.. easy for chasing the kids playing with the bubbles.. can't wait to see what else it can do with a better lens!

Attached Images

06-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #50
Veteran Member

@class A : I am going to try and setup my AF - fine adjustment setting. I just need to get a controlled setup to do it.
@norm : I dont think so, but I maybe wrong - will find out either way soon
06-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Darknezz, tuning in the FA 43 Ltd f1.8 I found was as easy as setting it on a tripot pointing down close to 45 decree's at the table and shooting text from a magazine page, adjusting and reshooting. I don't see needing too much control to get the AF accuracy tuned decently.
06-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Actually AF accuracy is a strength of the K-5. It is not the fastest and can struggle with low light, but the AF accuracy is fine (better than other brands, according to a test a while ago).

After having performed an AF adjustment on my K100D, the camera focused very reliably, even when shooting at f/1.8 or similar.
It's definitely not the case for me with my K-5 vs my D700. YMMV, though.

06-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
D800's amazing 3D and constant tracking AF
That is an area Pentax has completely ignored. The issue is, can you put a system like that in a camera that at the end of it's life cycle will be selling for $1000. The other question is, if Pentax ever does come out with an FF, will they ever be able to match that. I don't have or shoot kids much... but if I did, that would certainly be an issue. But then, if I had kids I'd have even less money than I have now.

QuoteQuote:
It's definitely not the case for me with my K-5 vs my D700. YMMV, though.
Your $1000 camera doesn't do what your $2000 camera does... gee what a surprise.
06-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Darknezz, tuning in the FA 43 Ltd f1.8 I found was as easy as setting it on a tripot pointing down close to 45 decree's at the table and shooting text from a magazine page, adjusting and reshooting.
@D4rknezz: Don't do that. Please check out the AF adjustment hints I linked to earlier.

@Chex: If it worked for you, it is a small miracle. One of the crucial aspects of adjusting the AF is to make sure that you know what the camera focuses on. Text on a magazine page will be far too ambiguous, even if it is a rather empty page.
06-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #55
Veteran Member

true, it may have been a miracle.. but it sure worked for me.. of course it didn't work as well with the 18-135 WR.. but I also only used it in poor weather and didn't put a lot of effort in to it.
07-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
@D4rknezz: Don't do that. Please check out the AF adjustment hints I linked to earlier.

@Chex: If it worked for you, it is a small miracle. One of the crucial aspects of adjusting the AF is to make sure that you know what the camera focuses on. Text on a magazine page will be far too ambiguous, even if it is a rather empty page.
Thanks @Class A , no worries, I'm slotting some time this weekend to do this properly.

On an update from D800..i put the creative lighting flash system as a fill light yesterday, and came away with these images in JPEG. I am not inspired by the on hot shoe flash - it flattens skin tone. I feel that I have turned off any kind of processing from within the camera, but i think there must be some left.

The edges of her arm is very curious...like someone took a grey brush and stroke around it. Very flat person indeed - not impressed, guys. (Click through to see large image...)

And

On the other hand...off camera strobe result (retouched result) :

Somehow for some reason I like Pentax's flash better with its plus and negatives...at least its on me. Now let me go back to the manual and figure out what this nikon flash is doing.
07-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Your $1000 camera doesn't do what your $2000 camera does... gee what a surprise.
My $1600 camera vs. my $2200 camera, to be exact.

Still, Class A's post made no mention of price differentials.