Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are All Adapters Created Equal? (Pentax-->M 4/3)

I've been interested in the mirrorless M 4/3 cameras for their small size and ability to adapt lenses from many other systems. I didn't want to spend too much, so I went ahead and brought a used G1 for under $150, just hoping to get a feel of what all this mirrorless hype is all about.

My question is, what adapter should I get if I want to use manual Pentax A and M lenses? There's tons on Ebay, but the prices vary even though on the descriptions of most mention things like being made out of metal and having the ability to focus to infinity. Anyone here that could give me a little bit of guidance?

And one more question, I saw someone, I think it was Flickr, but I couldn't find the link, mentioned using DA lenses on their M 4/3 and having control over the aperture? Is this possible if DA/DA* lenses don't have an aperture ring?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for my stupid questions, but I know absolutely nothing on the topic of M 4/3...

06-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I used the ones from RainbowImaging on eBay, the kind that allow for aperture control with DA lenses. Overall, they were great value for money (something like $20-25 shipped), IMO.
06-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I used the ones from RainbowImaging on eBay, the kind that allow for aperture control with DA lenses. Overall, they were great value for money (something like $20-25 shipped), IMO.
I will take a look at those, thank you!
06-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, Julie,
I agree , don't spend any money on M43 bodies or the expensive lenses because the bodies are real cheap, lack a vf, mine is a bit noisy at even iso 800, and also the M43 is an ideal/fun format for adapting the legacy 35 mm and ap-c lenses from many brands.
I have been making homebrew adaptors for M43 to Pentax-K and Pentax-110. But they have no facility for aperture control. maybe you can see my posts with shots on Pentax auto 110, M43, and the "homebrew" threads.
i think some adaptors are available with ap control for off M43 brand but not sure. Anyway I have used the Pentax DA 18~55mm with the ap lever held at about f/5.6 with heatshink tube, it works fairly well!
But I particularly like the Pentax-110 1:2.8 18mm
(repost)
https://www.box.com/s/2c50027b4ffaab6eb0e2

https://www.box.com/s/f7b4205014069b6b453a

Last edited by wombat2go; 06-29-2012 at 04:16 PM.
06-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi, Julie,
I agree , don't spend any money on M43 bodies or the expensive lenses because the bodies are real cheap, lack a vf, mine is a bit noisy at even iso 800, and also the M43 is an ideal/fun format for adapting the legacy 35 mm and ap-c lenses from many brands.
I have been making homebrew adaptors for M43 to Pentax-K and Pentax-110. But they have no facility for aperture control. maybe you can see my posts with shots on Pentax auto 110, M43, and the "homebrew" threads.
i think some adaptors are available with ap control for off M43 brand but not sure. Anyway I have used the Pentax DA 18~55mm with the ap lever held at about f/5.6 with heatshink tube, it works fairly well!
But I particularly like the Pentax-110 1:2.8 18mm
(repost)
https://www.box.com/s/2c50027b4ffaab6eb0e2

https://www.box.com/s/f7b4205014069b6b453a
The lack of VF was what was keeping me from buying an Olympus Pen (I think PL-1 was the one I was looking at). The Panasonic G1 has a VF but it is an electronic one- I'm normally not a fan of those, but I've read that the one on the G1 isn't that bad... Plus it has one of those swivel screens that the cheaper Olympuses I was looking at didn't have. Of course I'm not expecting it to replace my DSLR, it's more like a fun replacement for my point and shoot.

Nice work! I'll take a look at those homebrew threads.

Thanks!
06-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
And one more question, I saw someone, I think it was Flickr, but I couldn't find the link, mentioned using DA lenses on their M 4/3 and having control over the aperture? Is this possible if DA/DA* lenses don't have an aperture ring?
Yes, there is a simple adapter that allows you to control aperture on DA lenses - it basically allows you to move the aperture flange. You can check how the metering changed to deduce the aperture you have selected. I.e. if the lens is f/4 and you get 1/1000 and you rotate the ring and exposure goes to 1/500, you know you are at f/5.6.
07-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Yes, there is a simple adapter that allows you to control aperture on DA lenses - it basically allows you to move the aperture flange. You can check how the metering changed to deduce the aperture you have selected. I.e. if the lens is f/4 and you get 1/1000 and you rotate the ring and exposure goes to 1/500, you know you are at f/5.6.
Thanks, I went ahead and brought that adapter for DA lenses that wolfbones mentioned from rainbowimaging.

Camera should be here tomorrow and adapter a little bit later in the week, looking forward to playing around with it.