Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Five of the best top rated compacts at ISO 100

Very interesting analysis...

Nothing Special: Fuji X10 vs Olympus XZ-1 vs Panasonic LX5 vs Canon G12 – How close are they at 100 ISO?

Last edited by JHD; 07-02-2012 at 11:43 AM.
07-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The XZ-1 is the one I'd choose anyway. Where did this come from in the review?
"Caveat: Olympus do not have a world class JPEG engine."

WTF? Yes they do. Famed for it.
07-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Where is the 5th camera tested?

Jason
07-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
JHD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Where is the 5th camera tested?
I really don't know how to answer that. Go figure... Obviously I didn't!

07-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
The XZ-1 is the one I'd choose anyway. Where did this come from in the review?
"Caveat: Olympus do not have a world class JPEG engine."

WTF? Yes they do. Famed for it.
Without knowing much about it, I just picked up a XZ-1 because the price was right - $300.
Wanting to learn a little more about it and how well it fairs against the competition, I discovered the above comparo...

Anyhow last night I took a few shots of my niece from out of town, and I have to say, the XZ-1 is a bl@@dy fantastic camera!
Here's two samples - note in the excitement having a new toy I got a little careless with the EV - but I just had to see what the lens could do at f1.8.

And here is a crop at 100%....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by JHD; 07-02-2012 at 09:41 PM.
07-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
Banned

For pocket size cameras I like my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 because of 20x 24-480mm eqiv OIS zoom, GPS w/maps and 1080p60 HD video or Pentax Q that works great with all of my K-mount lenses and fast C-mount lenses. If I need better image quality I just shoot with my K-01 that kills the cameras tested here.

Last edited by jogiba; 07-03-2012 at 06:00 AM.
07-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am betting the Sony RX100 trumps them all, even the Q.

Jason

07-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
JHD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I am betting the Sony RX100 trumps them all, even the Q.
I had a Q but promptly returned it the next day. It's a fun camera but LCD was practically useless in day light, never mind direct sun. I wasn't particularly impressed with the IQ either.

I was surprised that the X-10 didn't do better. Considering how much it costs, it should have done better and come out on top, but it didn't. No doubt the RX-100 will trump them all, and it should at $650.
07-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I find the ISO comparisons deceiving. A lot has to do with what lens is in front of the sensor.

A situation requiring a Canon S100 at the long end shooting at ISO1600 (@F5.9) would only require a Oly XZ-1 to be at ISO400 - actually less - (@F2.5).

I know that I'm taking an extreme example, and that at the wide end things get much more even, but it demonstrates that taking ISO comparisons at their word is only providing part of the story.
07-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
JHD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Moreover most folks who know what they are doing would rather shoot at the lowest possible ISO.
07-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
JHD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Two more from the XZ-1...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
07-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, what I see is that there are a lot of very nice small cameras out there......all with different strengths....and weaknesses. I appreciate your analysis here, but there is more to any camera than ISO 100. ...Next can you do a comparison on the OVF of all five cameras? See what I mean?

For me, and I concede we are all different, a camera must start with a solid and well made Professional Grade body with the dials and controls you would expect such a camera to have, and located where they are best utilized for fast and easy use. My X10 fills this requirement with ease. I seldom notice the ISO setting with the X10...it is never going to deliver what my K5 delivers, and I don't expect it to....neither will the other small cameras compared here.

After about 8 months with the X10, I still find it amazing in its abilities, more than adequate in its IQ, and a delight to hold its little solid and well constructed little body every time I pick it up...which is very, very, often! If you are using a camera as often as the opportunity arises, and are finding great satisfaction in doing so....you have the right camera for you. I have the right one, there is not the slightest doubt in my mind!

Is it the best? Yep! It is for me! Love it more every day! Hope you all find the same happiness in whatever you choose!

From our recent short vacation trip......even Mrs Rupert loves the X10.......as we were whizzing past Big D at 70 mph, she snapped this one on Sunday....works for me!
[IMG] [/IMG]

In my recent wedding shoot, where Mrs Rupert tagged along as a second shooter, even though she had never used the X10 for more than a few shots, 5 of the brides 10 most treasured shots were from Mrs Rupert and the X10. As I said, it works for me! Whatever works for you......I hope it works as well as my X10 does for me!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
07-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Careful Rupert! I smell Otis.........
07-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Careful Rupert! I smell Otis.........
Damn it Will! Once you type "Otis" it comes up on his high tech search engine and he has to take a look-see. So once he saw this, he forced me to re-write this a little...with some corrections.

Things I left out.......The X10 is not a "real camera"...it is a Toy Camera and is not worth having for shooting Handsome Squirrels. It lacks the range and the resolution to print them at Billboard size posters for worldwide viewing. It is small, like something "Old Granny" would carry, and does not impart any sense of importance to the subject as a DSLR with a big ol' Bigma mounted does. If you are shot with a Toy Camera, you are not important, just another "snap" in time....nothing like a famous and dignified Handsome Squirrel shot with a fantastic camera, like say the K5 and a 50-500 Bigma or similar long lens. Toy Cameras are for "Jokers".......and have no place in this world for a real shooter.

There you go Otis...happy now?

Think it over....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
07-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
JHD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, what I see is that there are a lot of very nice small cameras out there......all with different strengths....and weaknesses. I appreciate your analysis here, but there is more to any camera than ISO 100. ...Next can you do a comparison on the OVF of all five cameras? See what I mean?
The above analysis wasn't done by me, although anyone could do it on their own and even beyond
at this link... Olympus XZ-1 Review: Digital Photography Review

I could compare the optional EVF to the X-10 OVF, which although given it will cost some money,
combined with the XZ-1 will still come to less money than the X-10. And the EVF will offer 100%
coverage as opposed to 85% of the OVF in the X-10.

As you are with the X-10 so am I with the XZ-1, but I am always curious about what comes next?
Technology advances very quick and many people get caught up in the never ending madness of
having the latest greatest. Contentment with what you have is better than an addiction powered
monetary vacuum.