Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Banned

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Hands-on Preview

QuoteQuote:
With its electronic viewfinder and SLR-like form factor the G5 is arguably the most direct competitor to 'traditional' entry-level SLRs in the current Lumix lineup. It sits above the simpler GF5 and below the top-of-the-line and enthusiast models GH2 and GX1.

Under the hood, the G5's 'newly developed' 16MP Live MOS sensor is what Panasonic calls a 'digital sensor' with some of the processing happening on the chip itself. In theory this translates into improved high-ISO performance which is very welcome news, the more so because the G5's maximum ISO setting has been increased to 12,800. The continuous shooting rate has also been bumped up compared to the DMC-G3, from 4 to 6 frames per second, but almost certainly more important to most users is the increase in resolution for the touch-sensitive rear LCD, from 460,000 to 920,000 dots. The LCD now also comes with a feature that is called 'Touchpad AF'. It allows you to move the AF area across the frame with your finger on the LCD while you're framing the shot through the EVF.

Video specs have also been improved. Like the GF5 the G5 now records video in the MP4 format, as well as the now-standard (for Panasonic) AVCHD. The latter Video clips shot in the MP4 format are easier to organize because they're not stored in a separate file structure to stills, and are far more widely compatible when it comes to playback. However, shooting in the AVCHD format allows you to capture footage at 1080 60/50p, vs 1080 60i on the G3. In this mode the camera captures video a t a bit rate of 28 Mbps which is in line with Panasonic's high-end consumer camcorders.
•16 MP Live MOS sensor
•ISO 160-12,800
•3.0", 920k dot touch-sensitive LCD with Touchpad AF control
•1.44 million dots electronic viewfinder with eye sensor

•Full AVCHD 1080/60p video with 1080 30p MP4 recording option
•6 frames per second continuous shooting, 3.7 fps with AF-tracking
•14 Creative Control filter effects options
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

07-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd still go with a Pentax DSLR against these two i'm really,really,really not too much of a big fan of 43 or M43 it's either a self contained P&S or at minimum for IL an AP-C sensor like Sony's NEX or Samsungs NX systems.
07-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I'd still go with a Pentax DSLR against these two i'm really,really,really not too much of a big fan of 43 or M43 it's either a self contained P&S or at minimum for IL an AP-C sensor like Sony's NEX or Samsungs NX systems.
m43 has the better sensors that Samsung, faster CDAF than both Sony NEX and Samsung, native lens selection that both Sony NEX and Samsung can only dream about, both in assortment and quality, and in terms of video the same... granted Sony and Samsung have more megapixels and little bigger sensors and Sony still have better sensor tech (that is unless Chipworks by teardown or DxOMark by testing will confirm the alleged Sony origin of Olympus EM5 sensor)...

as for Pentax - since I sold Pentax dSLRs I have no need to test and calibrate and recalibrate my lenses to work properly w/ PDAF under any light : bright or dim, daylight or tungsten w/ every new body , no need to replace stock focusing screens to have split prism w/ every new body (and then worry about spot metering), no need to worry about subpar sensor stabilization w/ shutter induced blur and so on... good riddance.