Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #136
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I also wondered why Samsung is often ignored. I think their brand just doesn't have the same recognition that Sony has with customers, especially when it comes to higher end cameras. And I am also not sure whether we may just have an incorrect perception in North America about them not doing well. They might be doing much better in Asia.

Canon did not copy Samsung. It's really a typical Canon design. Competent but not amazing. I hoped for more, but I am not surprised. The 22/2 lens is however a faster pancake than those offered by other manufacturers as 35mm AOV equivalents: Pentax has the 21/3.2, Samsung the 20/2.8, Sony doesn't have any such pancake, Olympus has the 17/2.8 - Panasonic is the only one that offers a faster lens in the 20/1.7. Once Canon will decide to put more muscle behind this system, we will see more interesting lenses. NEX cameras are great, but a system needs lenses as well as cameras and the Canon system is more promising long term. Sony needs to add some exciting lenses, but their lens roadmap is rather uninspiring.
I think that Samsung will be marketleader in this mirrorless segment in 5 years from now. They are good at what they want to do and want to be number 1 in the market. They still have to get a good foot on the European and american ground, but they will achief that (I think).

07-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I also wondered why Samsung is often ignored. I think their brand just doesn't have the same recognition that Sony has with customers, especially when it comes to higher end cameras. And I am also not sure whether we may just have an incorrect perception in North America about them not doing well. They might be doing much better in Asia.

Canon did not copy Samsung. It's really a typical Canon design. Competent but not amazing. I hoped for more, but I am not surprised. The 22/2 lens is however a faster pancake than those offered by other manufacturers as 35mm AOV equivalents: Pentax has the 21/3.2, Samsung the 20/2.8, Sony doesn't have any such pancake, Olympus has the 17/2.8 - Panasonic is the only one that offers a faster lens in the 20/1.7. Once Canon will decide to put more muscle behind this system, we will see more interesting lenses. NEX cameras are great, but a system needs lenses as well as cameras and the Canon system is more promising long term. Sony needs to add some exciting lenses, but their lens roadmap is rather uninspiring.
The 22/2 is the only appealing thing for me. I know Canon can make excellent lenses, but we will have to see if it is usable wide open. It could have just been made fast for marketing. Samsung has a 24/1.8 on the roadmap, but it is not a pancake. Sony has the Zeiss, but I have very few native lenses. Hopefully Sony will see Canon as a threat and start delivering the lenses the system needs, but I use my NEX for adapted lenses, mostly. Focus peaking and the articulated screen are musts for me, cameras without need not apply.

Last edited by kenafein; 07-26-2012 at 08:27 AM.
07-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #138
Veteran Member

As a Canon and Pentax owner I've been waiting for both mirrorless offerings and neither of them tick my boxes.

The Canon falls short on:

- same old 18 megapixels, granted its a "newer version" but I suspect it'll have the same base ISO DR
- no viewfinder
- bit lacking in controls
- bit on the expensive side

Instead ive plumped for the Sony NEX-7 which for me is so much better in every way. With £100 cash back deals just now, it made it a similar price to the Canon. My Metabones Canon EF to Sony E mount adapter arrived so I've been enjoying my Canon lenses on it. Image quality is sensational. The big plus points to the NEX-7 are:

- 24.3 megapixels
- 13.4 stops of DR at ISO 100
- partially articulating screen
- OLED viewfinder (much better than I thought it would be)
- built in flash

It doubles up as a cracking compact camera for nights outs and holidays, but also as a digital back with full size glass for my landscape work. I love it.
07-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #139
Banned

Photos: Albums
I'd like to see image stabilization show up in APS-C MILCs (other than K-01). There was a rumor that Samsung was looking into adding it to their NX line, but it did not materialize yet.

07-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #140
Banned

Photos: Gallery
sensor size?

The only thing I don't understand is the choice for the sensorsize. Why this 18 megapixel sensor and not the sensor from the G1x camera that is also brand new.
07-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The only thing I don't understand is the choice for the sensorsize. Why this 18 megapixel sensor and not the sensor from the G1x camera that is also brand new.

I for one don't see the larger sensor size as being a problem in the slightest. In fact for me it makes it a far more attractive e package.