Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Too bad Voigt never made a digital...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Voigt made some purdy cams in their day. I never had one, so don't know if the beauty is only skin deep. But would have loved a digital like this....almost temps me to get back into film!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USA-Voigtlander-40mm-40-1-4-MC-or-SC-lens-with-Voigtlander-Bessa-R3M-or-R3A-/270835001916?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item3f0f062a3c

07-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't care how well it performs, it just looks AWESOME!

(Ok ... I do sort of care how well it performs.)
07-22-2012, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

It really is. It would be a lower cost Leica with 95% of the IQ !
07-22-2012, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cosina is still in business. They make the Voigtlander line of 35mm rangefinder cameras and lenses.
FWIW Cosina manufactured the highly regarded Epson R-D1 and R-D1s digital rangefinder cameras.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-22-2012 at 08:50 AM.
07-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WOW...what the hell hap to them Chris? Why did they quit??? They were spectacular!

You see the price of those old R-D1 cams on ebay...they must be collectors items at that price for a 6mp cam!

Last edited by slackercruster; 07-22-2012 at 09:18 AM.
07-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cosina has long been rumored to have another digital in the works.
They seem to be doing just fine in their current niche market though.

Chris
07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Banned

The m4/3rds are the best bodies for using the ultra fast F0.95 Voigtländer lenses.

Last edited by jogiba; 07-22-2012 at 01:03 PM.
07-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They are usable on many of the MILC out there nowadays, so I'd not even encourage them to wade into the cesspool of digital camera bodies
The costs involved and the turn around times have been the demise of more than one camera company.
07-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
They are usable on many of the MILC out there nowadays, so I'd not even encourage them to wade into the cesspool of digital camera bodies
The costs involved and the turn around times have been the demise of more than one camera company.
If Voigtlander were to make a digital version of their of their Bessa III 35mm rangefinder camera, for example, I think it would be an instant success. Their rangefinders compete well with the Leicas simply because they deliver great quality but at a much lower cost. The non-digital rangefinder market is a diminishing niche market (maybe China aside but even then it's the digital Leicas that sell) and if Voigtlander are going to have a long term future then they need to produce a digital version.

Their Cosina-made lenses are superb but that's no surprise because the later day incarnation of Cosina makes many (most ? all ?) of Zeiss' top quality lenses.
07-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
incarnation of Cosina makes many (most ? all ?) of Zeiss' top quality lenses
They make Zeiss SLR and M mount lenses. They also make the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder camera. And yes, that is a film camera that came out just a few years ago...sort of a Bessa III on steroids. Very nice. I want one. As for a digital version of the Bessa III...it was called the EPSON R-D1. Rumor is that Mr. K. at Cosina has not been fond of making digital cameras due to their experience with the R-D1. That may explain why they have stayed out of the digital market.

Steve
07-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Voigtlander lenses sell for half the price of equivalent Leitz models, and apparently sell quite well.
Perhaps Kobayashi-san is content with the money he makes selling lenses to the Leica crowd?

Chris
07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
WOW...what the hell hap to them Chris? Why did they quit??? They were spectacular!

You see the price of those old R-D1 cams on ebay...they must be collectors items at that price for a 6mp cam!
The guy who runs Cosina is not a fan of Digital AFAIK, but I would be very surprised if they didn't have something under development. Main reason theRD1 and RD1s sell for so much is because the competing cams sell for even more (the leicas)
the Bessa rangefinders are excellent cameras, and the voigtlander lenses are also excellent. and at a fraction of the comparable leica prices.
I've seen rumours of a partnership with Fuji (X pro kills that one) and others to develop a bessa based RF (Fuji was the most likely as they already work together on the amazing Bessa III 6x6/ 6x7 folder -which was available in Japan as the Fuji 667) Voigtlander has since launched a wide version of the Bessa III which is not duplicated in a Fuji model AFAIK - I'd love to own this one

Voigtlander Bessa III Wide