Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well the market of sportsphotography is very competative and Pentax isn't in that market at the time. When you look at the stock that Canon and Nikon hold onside for support of the pro-shooters you know that at the time Pentax isn't able to be there. For this olympics it would be great to have one or two photographers covering the Olympics with K-5 and 645D, but more isn't in it. Who knows how the world of photography looks like in 2016 in Rio?

08-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

There is such a variety of photography pros - wedding pros, sports pros, photojournalism pros, fashion pros, stock pros, real estate pros, portrait pros. Etc.

If Pentax just catered for sports pros at big events like the Olympics I think that would be nice, but sports pros are still a pretty narrow part of the pro market.
08-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There is such a variety of photography pros - wedding pros, sports pros, photojournalism pros, fashion pros, stock pros, real estate pros, portrait pros. Etc.

If Pentax just catered for sports pros at big events like the Olympics I think that would be nice, but sports pros are still a pretty narrow part of the pro market.
agreed, sports pro's in fact are likely the narrowest part of the market for the most part, but to the public they are the most visible. supporting them is really about marketing costs. The pro market is pretty diverse beyond that. a focus on improving flash and pursuing the wedding pro market probably has a greater return for ricoh for instance
08-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian

It sounds like all you have to do is supply a sports pro with a K-5 and they will FINALLY see the light? Not likely. Apart from pro features like focus speeds in that other brand, there is also the support infrastructure behind it that you may need to depend on. Pentax has a lot of work to do at having a leading, world-class support structure, I feel. And it takes years if not a decade to build that up. They need enough presence where you could go into any decent size city around the world and rent a BFL (big F-en lens) for your Pentax, for instance.

Last edited by tuco; 08-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.
08-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Pentax not only doesn't make sports-oriented cameras, but they also don't make sports-oriented lenses, they don't even have a 70-200/f2.8, the most basic sports lens there is, not to mention the 1.4x TC that lots use. Are they still making a 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500 or 600 f4?.

It would take a mammoth effort for them to get the infrastructure and equipment needed to compete with C&N in that field.
08-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I guess a benefit of Pentax making an effort to go after high-visibility sports by producing some pro level gear would be the trickle-down effect for average non-pro schmucks like me - the availability of good long WR lenses for birding (used/new), more options for fast Pentax primes and zooms, more cool accessories, more lens rental options.

The same would probably apply if they made a big effort to target wedding or any other pros I guess.

So go for it Pentax.
08-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Not likely. Apart from pro features like focus speeds in that other brand, there is also the support infrastructure behind it that you may need to depend on. Pentax has a lot of work to do at having a leading, world-class support structure, I feel. And it takes years if not a decade to build that up.
Even Sony doesn´t compete in that arena anymore and they did have plans to do soo.

08-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Canon and Nikon have this area pretty much wrapped up.
08-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Canon and Nikon have this area pretty much wrapped up.
of all the pro areas sports will be the toughest and most expensive to crack, building in the other areas first likely has a much higher ROI. then use that ROI to pursue the sport category if that is what ricoh wants
08-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #25

Olympics

Though I'm not professional the Olympics was the first run I had with my new K5 and wow have I been impressed! Fencing shots in really difficult light from nearly the farthest point from the fencers in the joint, and still I got some impressive shots.

As well as this photo of some dark clouds over the Basketball court in the Park.

Loving it! Up next the closing ceremony. Don't think my zoom will quite cut it from where I'll be sitting in the stadium stay tuned....
08-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by yhzgirl Quote
Loving it! Up next the closing ceremony. Don't think my zoom will quite cut it from where I'll be sitting in the stadium stay tuned....
enjoy it.

Make some pictures of the spice girls
12-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I mentioned something similar sometime ago. And being that anyone can take technically good photos with a smartphone or even a tablet, makes it more important that Ricoh / Pentax show some prescence in televised and upper professional sports. I understand that it may be expensive to setup a Professional Support desk with one or 2Pro Pentax photographers, but this is the price of marketting and Ricoh should be willing pay it as part of their Pentax investment.
12-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
I mentioned something similar sometime ago.
You do realize that you responded to a nearly 3 1/2 year old thread?