Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

RX100 - Took the Plunge - questions

So i've decided to take the plunge and buy a Sony RX100. I wanted a camera without interchangeable lenses (I am a recovering Lens Buying Addict) as well as good enough IQ for computer monitors and the occasional 8x10 print. My K-5 will still be my go to camera for macro and artsy fartsy stuff.

So anyway, what Raw converters are you using since the big guys (LR and DXO) don't support it yet? I have heard that the Sony software is a pain in the @ss. I have also read that RPP is a great raw converter and it now supports the RX100, but it isn't a very user friendly program.

Also, any tips or tricks that I should be aware of?

08-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly, I am shocked to hear DXO doesn't support it. Is there any Adobe conversion program out there that does? Even if you're just converting to DNG?
08-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats,

I guess I couldn't convince you to give into the LBA and get a NEX. I'm sure the DxO support will come. Just in case I will put in a request on their form to add it for you. Every little bit helps.
08-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm shooting jpeg for now and waiting for RAW support in Lightroom

08-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just use RAW + JPG for now, LR should have RX100 support in the next update.
08-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Congrats,

I guess I couldn't convince you to give into the LBA and get a NEX. I'm sure the DxO support will come. Just in case I will put in a request on their form to add it for you. Every little bit helps.
Lol...if I were to get an interchangeable lens mirrorless, the 5N would top my list. The IQ on that thing is insane and using M-mount glass with focus peaking makes my mouth water. But like ive said, I just do not trust myself.
Thanks for filling it out. I am sure both LR4 and DxO will support it soon, I am just an impatient man.
08-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'm shooting jpeg for now and waiting for RAW support in Lightroom
Do you happen to have an Apple?
I have been playing around with RPP, which supports the RX100, the past couple of days and once I got used to the UI (well still a work in progress) I find it wonderful.
You could try using it to do your WB, exposure, contrast, and saturation. The rest would be done in LR.

Your pics look good to me, just a suggestion

09-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
So i've decided to take the plunge and buy a Sony RX100. I wanted a camera without interchangeable lenses (I am a recovering Lens Buying Addict) as well as good enough IQ for computer monitors and the occasional 8x10 print. My K-5 will still be my go to camera for macro and artsy fartsy stuff.

So anyway, what Raw converters are you using since the big guys (LR and DXO) don't support it yet? I have heard that the Sony software is a pain in the @ss. I have also read that RPP is a great raw converter and it now supports the RX100, but it isn't a very user friendly program.

Also, any tips or tricks that I should be aware of?
A late comment on RPP. It has an unusual interface, but it is very user friendly, once you familiarize yourself with it. What is less friendly (for some) is the fact that RPP is not a full featured editing program, meaning that a secondary editor, such as Photoshop, is almost always required. Then why bother with RPP? Because it is probably the best raw convertor available today at any price. (And the price is free.)

Regarding raw conversions for the RX100, all of the major programs will be doing it soon.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 09-08-2012 at 04:44 PM.
09-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Honestly, I am shocked to hear DXO doesn't support it.
Just for the record, it does in v7.5.4.