Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
After launching a new mount, one would certainly expect increased activity over a previous mount.

My question is, why such mediocrity?

FWIW, I'm still not a believer at all in coke cans on cigarette packets.

Mirrorless requires small zooms or pancakes to leverage its advantage. Maximum acuity, and distortion be damned. Lightning-fast (imperceptible) in-camera PP to take care of the needs of 90% of consumers.
Have you ever used an NEX?

08-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My question is, why such mediocrity?
I am not qualified to judge if this is a correct description.

However, it is clear to me mirrorless started out to compete against entry-level SLRs and consumer zooms. And IMHO they do well.

More recent (corrolated) trends are mirrorless becoming more serious (E-M5 etc.) and SLRs becoming full frame. Therefore, I expect better E mount lenses to emerge sooner than later. But of course, I may be wrong.
08-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Have you ever used an NEX?
Yes. 3, 5 and 7.

The 3 and 5 have become far better, while the 7 was very good out of the gates. All, in my opinion, let down by the glass you stick in front of them. As a poster said earlier, if the NEX range could have the NX pancakes (and I'll add Oly in-body IS), that would be the beginnings of a wonderful mirrorless system.
08-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am not qualified to judge if this is a correct description.

However, it is clear to me mirrorless started out to compete against entry-level SLRs and consumer zooms. And IMHO they do well.

More recent (corrolated) trends are mirrorless becoming more serious (E-M5 etc.) and SLRs becoming full frame. Therefore, I expect better E mount lenses to emerge sooner than later. But of course, I may be wrong.
I would agree with both those trends.

Sony are very much in a strong position to disrupt the market to their advantage. I still stand by my assertion that they will need a broader range of better glass to do so.

08-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #35
Veteran Member

By this time next year you should see Sony's E mount lens lineup doubled, not to mention the third party producers. Relax, the system is only a couple of years old and finding its niche. As the bodies evolve, the lenses will follow.

Jason
08-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Hybrid mount ... 2013...

But this Andrea who is running the rumor site is a bit confusing. In the same post:

QuoteQuote:
There will be not a new native E-mount Full Frame lens system! The cameras are E-A mount hybrid (and more…)
QuoteQuote:
But One native E-mount FullFrame camera is coming for sure!
(SR5) There will be not a new native E-mount Full Frame lens system! The cameras are E-A mount hybrid (and more…) | sonyalpharumors
08-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
But this Andrea who is running the rumor site is a bit confusing. In the same post:
I read it as:
- there will be a full frame camera with E mount
- however, there will be no E mount full frame lenses (existing E-mount lenses are APS-C)

So basically to use full frame you need either A-mount adapter or other adapters (eg. M-mount)

If you read my earlier post in this thread this is exactly what I hypothesised.

08-19-2012, 02:16 AM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I read it as:
- there will be a full frame camera with E mount
- however, there will be no E mount full frame lenses (existing E-mount lenses are APS-C)

So basically to use full frame you need either A-mount adapter or other adapters (eg. M-mount)
wow, didn't looked into it this well. Who on earth is going to buy an expensive camera where the adapter is a minimum for use and not an extra? At least no buyers who just would like a full frame Nex for the use of their new bought lenses.
08-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
wow, didn't looked into it this well. Who on earth is going to buy an expensive camera where the adapter is a minimum for use and not an extra? At least no buyers who just would like a full frame Nex for the use of their new bought lenses.
Well, I would - if Sony executes this well, this would be what I was hoping Sony would produce.

I primarily shoot with M-mount lenses, so this will be the perfect body to pair with those lenses.

Hopefully it will be a NEX style body, so it will be relatively small and compact.

Then, for those occasions when I don't want to carry M-mount (for example, on vacation), I would use Sony E mount and get APS-C quality.

I don't think I'll bother using the camera with A-mount lenses. Well, maybe one or two, but not a complete set.

PS - there is a huge potential for Sony to market this as a "universal" full frame body, with adapters for all the other makes preserving AF and optical stabilisation. For example, either Sony or Pentax could produce a K mount adapter that translates K mount electrical contacts to the E mount (including a screw drive AF motor). That would then allow us Pentax users to finally have a full frame "Pentax" mirrorless camera.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 08-19-2012 at 02:39 AM.
08-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I wonder if Sony will publish and license the new mount specs like they did with the e-mount? Then I could see your scenario working. Would be cool though.
08-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
I wonder if Sony will publish and license the new mount specs like they did with the e-mount? Then I could see your scenario working. Would be cool though.
What new mount? I understand it is still an E-mount, or did I miss something?
08-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
What new mount? I understand it is still an E-mount, or did I miss something?
Gotta be somewhat different to use A mount lenses. Otherwise you could just use the LA-EA2 like you can now. If that's the case all the hoopla about dual A/E mount makes no sense. Unless that's how they touted the NEX line in the first place.

Then again, I've been wrong before.
08-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Gotta be somewhat different to use A mount lenses. Otherwise you could just use the LA-EA2 like you can now. If that's the case all the hoopla about dual A/E mount makes no sense. Unless that's how they touted the NEX line in the first place.
The difference here is that the full frame sensor is likely to have embedded PDAF sensors, like on the upcoming NEX-5R or NEX-6. That is the major win - it means adapters can be mostly passive, rather than the LA-EA2, and with proper "translation" of mount electrical contacts we can have PDAF with non native lenses.

Remember that Sony is also introducing app support on their cameras. Hopefully this also means that Sony and/or third party adapter makers can write software to provide non-native lens support - like lens ID, AF, image stabilisation etc. That is also another major difference over the "passive" non-electrical adapters currently available for the NEX platform.

The big question is whether the E mount electrical contacts are sufficiently flexible to allow all of the above. If not, then perhaps Sony will need to enhance the E mount format (E+ mount?).
08-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #44
Veteran Member

If this body offers the FF shooting experience and the advantages of a larger sensor, capable of letting me use my E mount lenses along with some choice A mounts, with no adapter, I'm in.

Jason
08-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #45
Banned

Photos: Albums
Mirrorless requires small zooms or pancakes to leverage its advantage. Maximum acuity, and distortion be damned. Lightning-fast (imperceptible) in-camera PP to take care of the needs of 90% of consumers.
I'm almost waiting for LensBaby to come out with a full frame.

It is also interesting how much consumers are willing to spend on a camera; and then also have zero interest in learning any of the camera settings. There are numerous Canon, Nikon, and Sony models that cater to this - basically a dslr version of a p&s. although I must admit it would almost be fun to volunteer at one of their call centers when a person knowing nothing about their camera calls in. Call from consumer - how do you get the lens back on??