Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Receiving 2nd in line Leica M Monochrom

A Leica 18mp full frame B&W (only) rangefinder.

Can't wait and really looking forward to this one. The serial will match as being the second consumer camera made for this model number. Unfortunately few will really see the advantages of owning a camera where the sensor is B&W only.

08-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good luck. I find it interesting as a concept, and i'm sure the IQ will be mindblowing, but can't really see the inflexibility of it for the money required, but that's purely personal prospective. That said, I would be very interested in seeing output once you've have a chance to play with it.
08-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote

Can't wait and really looking forward to this one. The serial will match as being the second consumer camera made for this model number. Unfortunately few will really see the advantages of owning a camera where the sensor is B&W only.
If I had the funds this would be at the very top of my list. Really looking forward to seeing the results from it. I'd love to see some more product in b/w only. I could see ricoh doing a GRD in b/w (it already produces excellent b/w). Unfortunately not many will see the advantage as you say (effective higher resolution, better noise characteristics......) I probably convert 50-60% of what I shoot to b/w already, and a rangefinder really suits my shooting style - just not my pocketbook
08-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If I had the funds I would be on this like white on rice! I don't, so I will live vicariously thru your photos Be sure to post plenty

08-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Banned

Enjoy that nice camera and make a nice story off it for us poor people.
08-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
I've seen some nice used Leica's; some for about 2k; which isn't bad considering how long they last and also the level of the optics. Perhaps someone purchasing one of the Monochrom's just won't like it; or will find some reason to sell it within the first year.

Also if Ricoh, Pentax, or whomever also came out with another version of this (a B&W only camera); I'd also try my best to be first in line to have it. Maybe this is exactly what Pentax needs; either a B&W or a student level all manual camera. If only Pentax could somehow come out with a weatherized all manual camera for about five or six hundred - using the existing 16mp sensor - then targeting it to students and beginners... Pentax could regain it's glory years all over again.

In closing a note about the 18mp full frame sensor in the Leica... Check out the pre-review on B&H... A lot of people (outside of the B&H review) are stating that due to the color factor being taken out of the sensor that the images actually rival most (if not all) medium format. That if Ansel Adams were still alive today; and would "step down" from large format to use such a camera that even he would be quite satisfied of the results. I'll have to rebrush up on my zone system skills. I also fully expect to take many hundreds of pics to be testing this one out - when it comes out quite soon
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've seen some nice used Leica's; some for about 2k; which isn't bad considering how long they last and also the level of the optics. Perhaps someone purchasing one of the Monochrom's just won't like it; or will find some reason to sell it within the first year.

Also if Ricoh, Pentax, or whomever also came out with another version of this (a B&W only camera); I'd also try my best to be first in line to have it. Maybe this is exactly what Pentax needs; either a B&W or a student level all manual camera. If only Pentax could somehow come out with a weatherized all manual camera for about five or six hundred - using the existing 16mp sensor - then targeting it to students and beginners... Pentax could regain it's glory years all over again.

In closing a note about the 18mp full frame sensor in the Leica... Check out the pre-review on B&H... A lot of people (outside of the B&H review) are stating that due to the color factor being taken out of the sensor that the images actually rival most (if not all) medium format. That if Ansel Adams were still alive today; and would "step down" from large format to use such a camera that even he would be quite satisfied of the results. I'll have to rebrush up on my zone system skills. I also fully expect to take many hundreds of pics to be testing this one out - when it comes out quite soon
the luminous landscape preview sold me

even if someone doesn't like it and sells a year from now it will be out of my league. the only thing i've seen near 2k is the apsc m8 which has a myriad of issues with CA etc (not even the 8.2 version hits 2k)
best for me to shoot leica as a b/w camera would be an m3 or m6 and shoot film but to be honest i would rather have a zeiss at the price of those.

08-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I wonder what they'll bring to the table with the M10 at Photokina?
08-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I wonder what they'll bring to the table with the M10 at Photokina

The Leica area would probably be my second stop if I went there. I'd also have to ask a few of the people from Leica about (the following)... It is to my understanding that they are working on a new sub f.1.0 lens - perhaps two of them. Unfortunately the existing 50mm f.o.95 goes for about 11k in the states. But for Leica (and for me) it's always ben more about the optics versus any seconday consideration - even the camera bodies.

Btw for anyone going to the show; I'm also wondering what type of access the weill have to the Monochrom. By then I'll already have had mine for a few weeks. But I'm wondering if they'll let everyone have access to what will be a very limited run camera. Better than the camera itself - the results.

As for the Leica pricing... That's soething that I've always been against. For not much more than the Monochrom one is also at... The same exact level as the flagship Nikon and Canon models - darn even near the Pentax medium format and a few of the other medium formats. But if one does get lucky; it is worth the waiting game to see if one can find one somewhere for about the eventual 2k price. I've seen a few people get lucky on that one. That's how I also got one of my first cameras; a Hasselblad 2000 f/c with three lens; for not much more than 1k - back in the 80's at an estate sale.
08-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

that was a major estate sale score. I remember pricing on those and a grand was an absolute steal for a 3 lens set up (heck you could probably sell it for a grand or more still)

I think the first 2 stops for me would be leica and hassleblad because both have some very interesting product rumoured.

I saw a 50 0.95 go for 14 grand on ebay BTW. yep 11 grand is retail but because the wait list is so long many people seem to bid it up astronomically to get it right away. personally i'd live with a 1.4 while i waited
08-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I was reading about M9 today and noted it has ccd sensor.
Why?
I ask because I still have ist ds with 6 MP ccd and in its ideal iso range 200~400 I think the srgb images are better color fidelity than my much newer M43 with 12 MP cmos.
I am not sure if this is sensor hardware or optics or that the newer camera has some image pre-processing in it. ??