Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #31

09-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It looks to be improved. I for one wouldn't mind a better EVF. But really I don't see what the big deal is. You don't need to read a newspaper with it. The old one doesn't stop you from seeing the composition or taking the photo. Frankly I really never notice the quality of the EVF when I'm taking a shot. But that's me. And you really don't need to chimp through the EVF either, IMHO.
+1 to this (up to a point anyway... )
An EVF with better resolution can be better for manual focus.
Better refresh rates mean less real world to EVF lag, esp. for moving subjects.

Man! this camera is way cool looking.
In a way I want it to have faster AF and better EVF so that I can buy one.
On the other hand, I wish it won't, so I can concentrate my money on the upcoming Pentax stuff
09-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #33
Veteran Member

It looks to be improved. I for one wouldn't mind a better EVF. But really I don't see what the big deal is. You don't need to read a newspaper with it. The old one doesn't stop you from seeing the composition or taking the photo. Frankly I really never notice the quality of the EVF when I'm taking a shot. But that's me. And you really don't need to chimp through the EVF either, IMHO.
Well, the old one was lagging and did not show shadow/highlight detail particularly well. One of the nice features of an EVF is WYSIWYG which you get with e.g. the OM-D (where you truly see what you will capture). The EVF in the X100 was fine to compose on, but it is nice being able to clearly tell how shadows and highlights will be recorded as well.

Also, with a nicer EVF you can really see the scene, not just an abstraction of it...
09-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those Fuji cameras are uber-nice. They would really piss me off if they ever release K-mount adapter ))

09-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have heard that pentax lenses work well on the x-pro. Not sure which adaptor was used.
09-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Those Fuji cameras are uber-nice. They would really piss me off if they ever release K-mount adapter ))
K mount adapters were available a couple weeks after the camera was. The advantage of the short registration mount.

With the 8mm Samyang for K mount and a Kipon adapter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/166455...ml#post1931115
09-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #37
Veteran Member

This is what the K01 should morph into

I think Fuji hit it out of the park on this one. Here's the summary and preview link from dpreview:

16MP X-Trans CMOS sensor
ISO 200-6400, 100 - 25600 expanded (JPEG only)
2.36M dot OLED electronic viewfinder
Same control layout as X-Pro1, including top-plate shutter speed and exposure compensation dials
2.8" 460k dot LCD
Built-in pop-up flash
Full HD movie recording with built-in stereo microphone
2.5mm stereo microphone socket, compatibility with wired remote control units (via USB port)
Available in silver or black

Fujifilm X-E1 hands-on preview: Digital Photography Review

I like an awful lot about this camera. They even have a cable shutter capability via the USB port.

The major thing i don't like - see above on the 100-25600 expanded is limited to Jpeg only. What's that all about. Is that because some of the software out there will not work with the non-Bayer 6x6 photosite design? I don't know but that seems strange to me. jpegs just don't respond to pp like RAW do and i like tweaking my photos - sometimes a lot.

This camera is why I would prefer that Pentax develop a smaller mount design - not as small as the Q, but smaller than the K.

I think Fuji is going to do really well with this camera - excellent design with that one quirk on the ISO expanded range.

Price with the new 18-55 zoom, ois, is $1399. This is a contradiction to the folks that say you can't sell an APS camera in that range, anymore. Hmmm...

09-06-2012, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think Fuji hit it out of the park on this one. Here's the summary and preview link from dpreview:

16MP X-Trans CMOS sensor
As a XP1 owner and one who does not do JPEGs, I feel Fuji is making a big mistake with that filter on the senor, again! It really sucks when the white logo on a persons colored shirt is all full of color bleeding. And the same goes for foliage and color bleeding.

You need to use more than one RAW editor depending on the shot. How convenient is that? Not until you can use the RAW editor of your choice without artifacts will this X-Trans crap be ready for prime time.

Last edited by tuco; 09-06-2012 at 11:50 AM.
09-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow... Fuiji's really shifted to the X-series. And the developments look really nice, the XE1makes the X100 seem like a long time ago..
09-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #40
Veteran Member

As a XP1 owner and one who does not do JPEGs, I feel Fuji is making a big mistake with that filter on the senor, again! It really sucks when the white logo on a persons colored shirt is all full of color bleeding. And the same goes for foliage and color bleeding.

You need to use more than one RAW editor depending on the shot. How convenient is that? Not until you can use the RAW editor of your choice without artifacts will this X-Trans crap be ready for prime time.
Tuco, i hope they fixed this problem on the XE1. Its hard for me to believe that they would repeat his problem on another model without fixing it. And I hope its something they can backfit on firmware or software.
09-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Tuco, i hope they fixed this problem on the XE1. Its hard for me to believe that they would repeat his problem on another model without fixing it. And I hope its something they can backfit on firmware or software.
No firmware can fix it. The problem is the complicated process of demosaicing the X-Trans sensor. And apparently Adobe does not want to spend anymore money on it just yet trying to get it right.
09-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Can anyone explain what this X-Trans sensor is, or why is it different?
09-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Can anyone explain what this X-Trans sensor is, or why is it different?
X-Trans CMOS | FUJIFILM X-Pro1

Because it's not a Bayer filter, for which demosiacing algorithms are well developed, RAW processing has proved to be a bit of an issue. Adobe's engine doesn't really process X-Pro RAW files that well. Others have varying degrees of success, but a lot of programmers are finding it difficult to code for the new sensor.
09-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Lightroom will process these files really well most of the time it seems. And do it better than Silkypix (editor that comes with the camera) for the ones it does I have found.
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #45
MSM
Veteran Member

A question for those that have shot with the XPro1 and the K5. How does the image quality compare? I know it is difficult as you have two different lenses and processors. I guess that I remember the bold claims that the Trans processor would truly rival FF sensors. I honestly stopped following the discussions when I realized that financially the XPro1 was not happening for me. I gathered that the images were good but not as they were touted initially. Is that fair to say? I ask because the XE-1 is more in my price range. While I am at it, how about the quality of the lenses both in feel/construction and IQ? I don't know about the focus by wire type lenses. Perhaps it is not a big deal at all. I still love my limiteds though.