Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Banned

Casio reveals "women-friendly" cameras

QuoteQuote:
Casio has announced a selection of new cameras which, it's claimed, were designed to appeal to women. How do you make a woman-friendly camera, you ask? Well, Casio seems to be of the opinion that offering a range of colors (obviously including pink), textured finishes and buttons which can be pressed even if you have long nails, will do the job.

The designed-for-women cameras include the Casio EXILIM EX-JE10, a 16-megapixel-shooter which comes with a matching jacket and shoulder-strap, and the EX-N10, a small compact which has a finish said to resemble a manicure.

The Casio EXILIM EX-JE10 features a 1/2.3-inch 16.1-megapixel CCD sensor, a 26mm wide-angle lens with a 5x optical zoom (that's a 35mm equivalent of 26-130 mm) and the ability to shoot 720p HD video at 30 frames per second. But while those mediocre technical specs are not going to make the camera stand out, Casio hopes its female-centric design – it's described in a press release as being "cute" – and features will.

Some of those features include menu colors that are coordinated with the body color (the camera is available in white, pink and black), buttons and a joystick which can apparently be easily operated even with long nails, and a "Make-up Function" that Casio says is for "making people's faces look their beautiful best."
Casio reveals "women-friendly" cameras

BTW I think Pentax had a better idea.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/27092/pentax-optio-rs1000/

Last edited by jogiba; 08-24-2012 at 10:07 AM.
08-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To make them completely Women friendly they will also have to make them make-up resistant (ie: resistant to make-up smears on view-finders, LCD screens and lenses).
I speak from experience,unfortunately too many times I have had to clean my cameras after being handled by the fairer sex.
Glenn
08-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like girly stuff. I like bling and hot pink and have no qualms about saying so. My little 6MP purse cam is pink actually. It was a breast cancer fundraiser model actually and while it's probably the crappiest cam ever I still like that it's pink. That pink camera above it's cuter but that's not what I'd want even if it is pink. Next pocket cam I'm doing is going to be one of these. They're good cameras, incredibly cheap to buy used. There are adapters all over the place for them and I like the design. Unfortunately they don't come in hot pink, or with leopard shots. I wish...

Amazon.com: Olympus PEN E-PL1 12.3MP Live MOS Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens (Black): Electronics

Or maybe one of these. They're a bit more, but I actually like the design on these better and it actually does come in lipstick red.

Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 12 MP Micro 4/3 Compact System Camera with 3-Inch Touchscreen LCD and 14-42mm Zoom Lens (Black): Electronics
08-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I quite like the design - love the matching pink body and half case/strap.

The back also looks elegant and clean - not geeky at all. Almost iPhone-esque.

The Make Up function will probably get over-used for photos of me :-(

08-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are so many replies I could make to the title of this thread - but they would all get me in trouble. So in the interest of domestic tranquility, I shall refrain!
08-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
To make them completely Women friendly they will also have to make them make-up resistant (ie: resistant to make-up smears on view-finders, LCD screens and lenses).
I speak from experience,unfortunately too many times I have had to clean my cameras after being handled by the fairer sex.
Glenn
That's what you get for sharing your cameras. LOL I almost never go there. My two teachers were allowed to handle my gear but I really don't let anyone else and I never wear lipstick et all while shooting though I have been known to get sunscreen on the LCD.
08-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
There are so many replies I could make to the title of this thread - but they would all get me in trouble. So in the interest of domestic tranquility, I shall refrain!
Sometimes the only winning move is not to play.

08-24-2012, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I want to know why they think "women friendly" is even reasonable. I dont know any women to whom these would appeal (except those in the thread already!). I find it offensive that theres an assumption that all women love pink (I detest it) and bling (and I detest that, too).

ARRGGGHHHHHH.
08-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
Size matters to some woman.

Last edited by jogiba; 08-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.
08-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Sometimes the only winning move is not to play.
Points for the War Games quote....
08-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I want to know why they think "women friendly" is even reasonable. I dont know any women to whom these would appeal (except those in the thread already!). I find it offensive that theres an assumption that all women love pink (I detest it) and bling (and I detest that, too).

ARRGGGHHHHHH.
Thank you!! I don't find them at all appealing, but if some do that's OK. I do find it offensive that they seem to believe women will only go after these "pretty" blingy models.

In the U.S., the American football league markets certain jerseys to women. They color all of them pink, regardless of team colors. It drives me f'in crazy!! What fan of a team would want to wear a pink jersey? It has nothing to do with the team?? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.
08-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thank you!! I don't find them at all appealing, but if some do that's OK. I do find it offensive that they seem to believe women will only go after these "pretty" blingy models.
Actually, they don't "believe" anything - they do marketing research.

If you don't like pretty blingy models, just buy the standard black models, of which there are plenty. But plenty of women out there do like pink blingy things. Whilst I personally would not buy the Casio models, I applaud them for trying to be stylish.

Whenever I'm in the train, I am always amazed - almost every woman I see is carrying an iPhone with a pretty pink blingy case. Casio is marketing to these women, not to the minority who claim they detest pink.
08-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Actually, they don't "believe" anything - they do marketing research.

If you don't like pretty blingy models, just buy the standard black models, of which there are plenty. But plenty of women out there do like pink blingy things. Whilst I personally would not buy the Casio models, I applaud them for trying to be stylish.

Whenever I'm in the train, I am always amazed - almost every woman I see is carrying an iPhone with a pretty pink blingy case. Casio is marketing to these women, not to the minority who claim they detest pink.

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote

In the U.S., the American football league markets certain jerseys to women. They color all of them pink, regardless of team colors. It drives me f'in crazy!! What fan of a team would want to wear a pink jersey? It has nothing to do with the team?? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Didn't mean to offend. I don't detest pink. I detest the insinuation that women will only buy something that is frilly or pink or has some pretty design. We don't care about functionality or how something performs. *rolls eyes*
08-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

From a marketing standpoint it is a great idea, and the case is the finishing touch. They will sell plenty of them if the price is right. Young women like that sort of thing, and there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever....if women were just like men...none of us would be here!
Regards!
08-24-2012, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #15

Our hockey team has a pink jersey for women as well... And it must work because I see them all the time.

I recently took up dirt biking, and finding women's gear that doesn't have pink on it seems almost impossible. Just cause I'm a girl, doesn't mean I want it in pink. I didnt have a choice, my boots have pink on them...Good thing the mud covers it up!

Besides some men like cute little things too.