Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Banned

Canon 3D with 46MP & 25-12800 iso !

QuoteQuote:
The Big Megapixel
The rumours are starting to fly with Photokina around the corner. Below is the first spec list of a camera said to be Canon’s big megapixel entry.

Please remember, the “EOS-3D” name has been rumoured about since about 2005. With every major photo show, we get lots of mentions of its existence. What I do think is different now, is the “3D” name makes a bit more sense. I think this because the “5D” name is no longer the automatic “big megapixel” camera in the Canon lineup. There is room and separation between a 22mp 5D and a 40mp 3D. My other issue with the “3D” name, is the camera wouldn’t be 3D. However, add the “X” at the end and that should help alleviate any confusion with consumers (believe me, there would be).

Below is a spec list I received today, take it with a large grain of salt as it is a new contact. I’m still on the fence as to whether or not we’ll see another DSLR for Photokina, lots of conflicting information (Thanks Canon).

Canon EOS-3D X Specifications
◾46 MP
◾3.7 frame per second
◾Dual DIGIC 5+
◾ISO: (25) 50-6400 (12800)
◾AF: Same as 1DX
◾USB 3
◾CF+SD

Another feature mentioned about the camera is better heat dissipation of the sensor compared to other EOS cameras. Apparently, this results in industry leading low ISO performance.
Canon EOS 3D X [CR1]

08-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My D800E files are big enough for me without an added 10MP slowing things down even further. It would allow for a higher res crop mode though.

I wonder what Pentax intends doing with FF. What resolution would they release do you think? Surely there's room in the market if Canikon can deliver all these variants and still make a profit?
08-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
I don't think Pentax will go for anything more than 24mp if they come out with a FF DSLR to keep from hurting demand for the 40mp 645D.
Pentax To Announce the K-3 Full Frame DSLR At Photokina
08-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
...take it with a large grain of salt
Indeed. Note the very low CR1 status of the rumour.

08-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
I think Canon needs more than 22.3 megapixels in a FF DSLR to compete with the 36mp D800/D800E .

QuoteQuote:
Wedding, event and studio photographers, for example are likely to be far more concerned with resolution at low ISO sensitivities than shooting at 11 fps at ISO 204,000. To them, a camera with the D800's feature set, priced at less than half the cost of a D4 is an exciting prospect indeed.

The D800 consistently delivers excellent images that don't have to be viewed at pixel level detail to be appreciated. But if you're prepared to put in the effort, your reward is a degree of resolution and detail that is very, very impressive and visibly superior to anything else on the market in this form factor.
Nikon D800 Review: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
The 5D Mark III has a 22MP full frame sensor in a body that's based on the EOS 7D design, and with a 61-point AF system borrowed from the flagship EOS-1D X. From the glass-half-empty point of view, this could be seen as an unambitious update that trails disappointingly behind Nikon's 36MP D800 which was announced around the same time.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Review: Digital Photography Review

The D800 is the #2 selling DSLR on Amazon and the 5D III is #13.
Amazon Best Sellers: best Digital SLR Cameras
08-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I wonder what Pentax intends doing with FF. What resolution would they release do you think? Surely there's room in the market if Canikon can deliver all these variants and still make a profit?
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I don't think Pentax will go for anything more than 24mp if they come out with a FF DSLR to keep from hurting demand for the 40mp 645D.
My guess will also be at 24mp. Not only is that more then sufficient for current and expected clients (enthousiast, weddingphotographer, landscapers, maybe some reporter and artists), but also lackiing the power (PRIME M = nice) to make that machine working like the Canon can with Digic 5+ processors.

645D making RAW + JPG (with lenscorrections) take 7 to 8 seconds on a single file to process. That is fine for a landscaper, but not for an enthousiast, reporter or a weddingphotographer.

Giving such a camera dual PRIME M would make it a lot faster, but still not snappy.
08-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pixel Peepers and Numerators buy cameras based on MP's alone without looking at the uhhhhhhh excuse the term *Big Picture* . . . More pixels on X size sensor only increases noise and diffraction limits and therefore additional RAW image processing to the card to *dress up* the RAW file is required. More MP's should have bigger sensors to keep the size of those pixels from being too small. Full Frame 16mp is plenty for 99% of the work anyone is doing and years ago the 2.1mp and 4.1mp and 6mp cameras were *good enough*. How about a Canon 1D m . . . . a medium format sensor in a 1 series body that can use EOS lenses . . . now that would be a WoW introduction if you want something like that.