Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Nex 5n from B&H. The more I thought about it, having a smaller camera was really the main point of me buying a new camera. I do have 2 DSLRs right now, both of which are no slouches. I also decided against the A65 for now as I just found out about the in body stabilization not working well with manual lenses and you need to use a different adapter for each lens focal length, even then it wont meter right since the adapter tells the body that it is stopped wide open.

I think I'll get more use out of the Nex 5n as well. I did really want a smaller camera that I can take with me every day. My DSLR's sit at home unless I'm going on a hike or trip somewhere. Now I can have a small camera that has great IQ with me wherever I go.

I can also get some older M39 lenses to make for a more compact unit, until the pancake lens comes out anyway.

09-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What about a K01? It will do most of what the NEX does but with AF and no need for an adapter, its a bit larger of course.
Not necessarily a bad thing if you want a camera body that is more 'right sized' esp. for APS-C lenses.
Less menu diving too, plus its also at a cheap price.

If you plan to stick to DSLR's for the faster handling and OVF, look to the K5.
The K5 will be a bit better in DR and better final o/p due to the almost chroma noiseless RAW.
The NEX5n has very good OOC jpgs, though I do find that its a lot stronger in the sharpening used.
In fact, I'd suggest a K30 for a lighter DSLR style camera.
Its a K5 in most of the stuff with improved AF and faster processing engine, lighter and smaller too.

NEX5n is pretty good, but the native lenses are not that great.
Adapted lenses are MF and 'longish' due to an adapter.
Its fairly well sized for RF lenses and small DLR primes.
Short flange distance and high mp sensors may be a potential problem (esp. in the future) from what has been seen on the NEX7 (ie. color cast on edges).
Perhaps a future NEX? with high mp will put this worry at ease?

K5 and NEX5n can both produce v. good quality output, to the point that imho its not that important to be actually comparing them anymore.
What sets them apart is handling and perhaps a bit of weight.
Size wise, they end up to be 'like' sized with the adapted lenses (and the K5 using small primes);
Both need some sort of camera bag, and non-native lenses for the NEX weigh a bit anyway (unless one uses RF lenses or the limited range of small fast primes native to NEX).
If you have a decent few non-Pentax lenses, the NEX may be a good choice.
09-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Nex 5n from B&H. The more I thought about it, having a smaller camera was really the main point of me buying a new camera. I do have 2 DSLRs right now, both of which are no slouches. I also decided against the A65 for now as I just found out about the in body stabilization not working well with manual lenses and you need to use a different adapter for each lens focal length, even then it wont meter right since the adapter tells the body that it is stopped wide open.

I think I'll get more use out of the Nex 5n as well. I did really want a smaller camera that I can take with me every day. My DSLR's sit at home unless I'm going on a hike or trip somewhere. Now I can have a small camera that has great IQ with me wherever I go.

I can also get some older M39 lenses to make for a more compact unit, until the pancake lens comes out anyway.
Good M39s cost a mint. I'm a big fan of the Contax G rangefinder lenses. The Voigtlander 15 seems to be a great choice as well. Best bargain, I think, is the Konica Hexanon 40/1.8 pancake. Even with the adapter it's still pretty small. Anything around the size of a Tak 55 works just fine on the camera, adapter included. The grip is so good that my gigantic FD lenses don't bother me much, but there are some great compact options.
09-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
JHD
Veteran Member

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Nex 5n from B&H. The more I thought about it, having a smaller camera was really the main point of me buying a new camera....
Congratulations! The NEX has decommissioned many DSLRs.

Here's a few comments from DPR...

QuoteQuote:
The 16.1MP sensor in the 5N is capable of capturing images that rival some of the best APS-C format DSLRs on the market, and up to ISO 6400 image quality is impressive. Even at ISO 12,800, image quality is perfectly acceptable for online use and for small prints...

In terms of image quality the NEX-5N sits untouched at the top of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact category. The low-light capability of its APS-C format CMOS sensor matches or exceeds what we've come to expect from the best of the current crop of APS-C DSLRs as well. Considering its sub $700 price point this is truly impressive...

09-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
What about a K01? It will do most of what the NEX does but with AF and no need for an adapter, its a bit larger of course.
The K-01 is more than a bit larger. And according to DPR, the NEX is better at metering and focus than the K-01! They also found the NEX to be superior when it comes to ergonomics & handling with better/more features, better raw and jpeg image quality, better low light performance, better screen, with over all much better performance, and a better movie mode, with superior value. They rated K-01 69% and the NEX-5n 79%.
09-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

"Unless all you use is the 16mm F2.8 pancake lens the 5N is not that small."

The 5n is actually a lot smaller and lighter when I connect my kit lens versus the standard zoom attached to my K-7. The weight is significantly less with the 5n. Just because the kit lens looks disproportionately larger than the body doe not mean it is actually a burden or anywhere nearly as large as a heavy as a DSLR, or even a M4/3.

"If you want small with standard zoom kit lens get a m4/3rds."

Or even smaller, get the 5n with the new upcoming pancake standard zoom, which reportedly is about the same size as the E mount 16mm prime or the 14-42 power zoom pictured above on the Panasonic. The IQ of the 5n is heads and shoulders above anything M4/3 at the moment too.

Solutions abound.

Jason
09-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
The K-01 is more than a bit larger. And according to DPR, the NEX is better at metering and focus than the K-01! They also found the NEX to be superior when it comes to ergonomics & handling with better/more features, better raw and jpeg image quality, better low light performance, better screen, with over all much better performance, and a better movie mode, with superior value. They rated K-01 69% and the NEX-5n 79%.
The K01 certainly does 2 things better than NEX.
1. It AF the Pentax lenses the TS has.
2. It uses the modern Pentax lenses with full functionality (ie. AF, auto modes, EXIF data, PTTL, etc)

I doubt DPR tried out any legacy k-mount lenses on the K-01.

Did DPR say NEX had better RAW, JPG metering, focus,etc compared to K-01?
I don't think they can compare the Nex5n to a camera that was not out yet.
The RAW is just more sharpened and so is the JPEG.
Download the sample files from DPR for both and you can see that you can get as good if not better with the K-01 RAW.
I'd give the nod to the better screen, tilt and touch screen for the NEX-5n though.

I've handled both cameras, and ergonomics is subjective.
I like the NEX size/grip better, but I found it too small and fiddly with adapted lenses (esp. RF small ones).
I did not like the K01 feel of a grip (too wide and boxy), but liked its handling with K-mount lenses of all sorts, esp. MF ones.

09-05-2012, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I REALLY don't care for the K01's styling. I just couldn't see myself being happy with the brick of a camera. Pentax definitely went with form over function when they designed the K01. There is zero ergonomics to the design and it looks too much like a toy for me to take seriously, even though it may have great IQ.

This video says it all really

09-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Awww, be fair. It is only a video from the clowns at DigitalRev. I personally think the K-01 is cool.

Anyway, just to confirm that I'm not NEX hater, I picked up a Sigma 30mm 2.8 NEX mount yesterday for $190 new. Look forward to giving it a run on my NEX-5.
09-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I picked up a Sigma 30mm 2.8 NEX mount yesterday for $190 new
Where?
09-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I REALLY don't care for the K01's styling. I just couldn't see myself being happy with the brick of a camera. Pentax definitely went with form over function when they designed the K01. There is zero ergonomics to the design and it looks too much like a toy for me to take seriously, even though it may have great IQ.

Pentax K-01 Hands-on Review - YouTube
No probs. Just opening up an option for you to consider with its pros and cos (and since this IS a pentax forum and you have Pentax lenses) .
DigitalRev is just an entertainment program
09-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Where?
dcexpert...
Places like DCW etc have it for about $220. Seems good value either way.
Hmm, there's even a used one on eBay AU at the moment. Maybe I should have waited.
09-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Anyway, just to confirm that I'm not NEX hater, I picked up a Sigma 30mm 2.8 NEX mount yesterday for $190 new. Look forward to giving it a run on my NEX-5.
dcexpert...
Places like DCW etc have it for about $220. Seems good value either way.
$220 is 15% more than $190. :-)
where did you get it for $190?
09-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
where did you get it for $190?
The dcexpert store on AU ebay (ie CRK direct). It had a dented box or something, but still comes with 2 years genuine AU warranty.
09-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can get the Sigma from B&H for $199.00 and free shipping.

I might look into getting one. Want to see how my Takumars work first though.