Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New Pro NEX and the Pentax K-3

(SR5) HOT surprise! Super secret NEX camera to be announced on September 12th! | sonyalpharumors

According to Sonyalpharomors a pro Nex camera will soon be released, I suspect this camera shares the same sensor as the upcoming K-3. Keep an eye out, we may get some hints about the new sensor from another source.

09-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope Pentax has something more up their sleeve than what's been announced thus far

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I hope Pentax has something more up their sleeve than what's been announced thus far
I suspect they do, and I suspect you even know a little about this! But I guess we'll all know in a few days ... uh, exactly how many days will that be Adam?
09-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Dunno But soon!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Isn't the K-3 going to be a 24 MP APS-C K3? The new 'surprise' NEX is a rumoured full-frame.
09-09-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A full-frame NEX for use with all the existing K to NEX adapters could be fun, if the price was right, and assuming no changes to the basic dimensions of E-mount.

Would also potentially throw a real spanner in the works for any Pentax FF plans, especially as Sony will likely get this out before any Pentax FF arrives.
09-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Would also potentially throw a real spanner in the works for any Pentax FF plans, especially as Sony will likely get this out before any Pentax FF arrives.
I don't think so. How many here, if given the choice between a Pentax FF DSLR and a Sony FF NEX would buy the Sony? I suspect most would go with the Pentax. Unless they were already looking for a smaller/lighter package.

09-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
if given the choice between a Pentax FF DSLR and a Sony FF NEX
True, in the sense that if Pentax users were going to jump ship for FF, most would certainly go to Canon or Nikon rather than Sony...

However NEX FF may be more attractive because adapting PK to E-mount is already well established, albeit without AF. People with lots of legacy Pentax glass may probably find it easier to keep using their Pentax glass on NEX than other mounts. That was the [admittedly rather weak] point I was trying to make.

If Pentax made public plans to get into FF, then of course there would be less reason for FF enthusiasts to consider alternatives.

Not that I personally would be the first in any queue for FF, Pentax, NEX or otherwise. I'm OK with APS-C atm.
09-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
I don't think so. How many here, if given the choice between a Pentax FF DSLR and a Sony FF NEX would buy the Sony? I suspect most would go with the Pentax. Unless they were already looking for a smaller/lighter package.
Unless we have the two cameras side by side it is impossible to answer the question. The Pentax FF is at best vaporware right now.

A well made Sony FF EVIL with Zeiss glass would definitely be in the running for my money. The pictures of the new RX1 don't show an EVF. That could be a deal breaker unless an accessory EVF is offered.
09-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
True, in the sense that if Pentax users were going to jump ship for FF, most would certainly go to Canon or Nikon rather than Sony...

However NEX FF may be more attractive because adapting PK to E-mount is already well established, albeit without AF. People with lots of legacy Pentax glass may probably find it easier to keep using their Pentax glass on NEX than other mounts. That was the [admittedly rather weak] point I was trying to make.

If Pentax made public plans to get into FF, then of course there would be less reason for FF enthusiasts to consider alternatives.

Not that I personally would be the first in any queue for FF, Pentax, NEX or otherwise. I'm OK with APS-C atm.
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Unless we have the two cameras side by side it is impossible to answer the question. The Pentax FF is at best vaporware right now.

A well made Sony FF EVIL with Zeiss glass would definitely be in the running for my money. The pictures of the new RX1 don't show an EVF. That could be a deal breaker unless an accessory EVF is offered.
Good points all. I'd be inclined to use a FF NEX with MF lenses just to keep things simple.
09-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The pictures of the new RX1 don't show an EVF. That could be a deal breaker unless an accessory EVF is offered.
Apparently there will be one:

Sony RX1 specifications | Photo Rumors

I'm not clear as to how an OVF option would work - there would have to be a hole in the body wherever it would fit, or they'd have to offer a separate model with it built in.
09-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Maybe NEX FF would be nice for travelling...even lenses are still big size and heayvy and that is not good combination with little body to try to hold in hand...are those NEX cameras suitable for travelling cos they looks like they do go broken easyly, not tank build like K5 for sure...
09-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I suspect this camera shares the same sensor as the upcoming K-3.
Not necessarily.

To avoid color shifts at the edges of the full frame
with a compact, short-register Sonnar wide angle lens,
this camera would probably need angled microlenses
like those on the Ricoh Leica M mountor.
09-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Not necessarily.

To avoid color shifts at the edges of the full frame
with a compact, short-register Sonnar wide angle lens,
this camera would probably need angled microlenses
like those on the Ricoh Leica M mountor.
If doing this, it will probably give color shift if using (D)SLR lenses.
So Pentax users will have to wait for another FF camera...
09-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
Banned

The Pentax FF is at best vaporware right now
I'd have to disagree on that one. Even if Pentax never had any plans for FF; they could easily come up with one in a matter of a few short months.

But I also strongly believe that Pentax has very likely even come up with a type of operation mock-up - even if they have no plans of introducing it anytime soon. They do have a few different camera bodies that could be rather easilt adapted to full frame - quite easily. I don't believe that Pentax woould start off with a FF of about the size/weight of an item like an F4; it would most likely be a Pentax version of a Sony FF -of about that size/weight; perhaps a bit heavier.

Darn, I'd almost be tempted to go to a bank to get the investment myself and then offer a type of buyout to Pentax (just to get a Pentax FF out there, but... something tells me they'll do it on their own.