Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Not too ergonomic for a wedding tog- something with an APSC sized body perhaps and then what about the flash options?
I too believe this is abit much for a fixed lens, sub 2k minimum. can't use E-Mount as pretty much all those lenses are designed for APSC.
Don't get me wrong- incredible innovation.

09-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the other hand, doesn't it reduce the shallower-DoF advantage of a FF sensor by putting a fixed f/2 lens on it ?

A X-E1 + 23mm/1.4 would have almost the same DoF for less than 2/3 of the RX1 price. And it would have a VF.
09-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

This means that Sony is making the sensor. That means Pentax will be able to put it in their bodies in 6-12 months, if they so choose. Since Pentax has been using other Sony sensors, I can conclude that the only reason there might not be a Pentax camera with this sensor in a year is to protect 645D sales--which would only make sense if the 645D costs half as much. Either way, this is good news.

As for the camera itself, I like the idea but haven't the budget.
09-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Equivalent exposures, but FF still has an IQ advantage due to less enlargement of the image and will also have a detail advantage with 24MP. Also, RX1 will still be much smaller than a X-E1. While the RX1 will have effectively no competitors, it's going to shake up the camera market much like the RX100 is doing for compacts. Sony (and Fuji) are kicking the backsides of the traditional camera companies.

09-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

It looks like Sony is preparing to explode the market next year with FF NEX: just remember the rumor about CZ CSC optics. This should kill both DSLR and Fuji X sales (DSLRs because those are old unreliable crap, Fuji X because of its conventional telecentric lens design)
09-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If Sony would only "get it" when it comes to support and things like ergonomics, DNG support, menu layout, and firmware updates.

The new camera looks like an excellent step in the right direction. Hopefully like Fuji they will follow their high end fixed lens camera with a high end ICL body very soon.

If the AF and IQ of the new camera are EXCELLENT then it is not a bad price. I know a wedding 'tog who carries one 5DII with a 35L on it 100% of the time while working. She keeps another body that rotates the 50L & 85L on it through the day.

If the new body can perform at a very high level (fast write speeds, good buffer, fast accurate AF, clean RAW files) then it will find its way into a lot of bags of event and wedding 'togs.

If another version of this was made with the 50mm F/1.4 I would probably buy it.
That's the niche I see for it, too. Small back up camera for a well heeled professional or travel camera for an amateur that can afford it.
09-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #37
Veteran Member

A ballsy move. But I wonder why they're testing the markets with a fixed lens model like this and not a FF NEX?

09-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Good question. Maybe because they don't want to put in the investment to have an array of FF lenses available if it was a FF ILC. My understanding is there are few if any FF E-mount lenses.

Another reason could be that they want to fill out the RX compact range and define it as a very premium compact camera range. NEX FF might still come.

I'm guessing there's also a APS-C Sony RX camera is in the works.
09-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #39
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a couple of NEX cameras, but I couldn't give a **** about Sony because I think Foveon is the future!
09-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #40
gtl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There has been rumors saying that the FF Nex would aim to be used with lenses from other mounts, and would take e mount lenses in crop mode. Still, I am happy to see Sony pushing the boundaries for compact cameras. If not for the price, I would definitely be considering one and selling most of my Pentax primes.
09-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I think it looks fantastic, though without a viwefinder I wouldn't use it (not that I could afford it anyway). Will there be an add-on VF?

35mm is a little short for my tastes, I think a 40 or 45mm lens would have been better, more general-purpose.
09-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #42
Banned

I would love one of these, to be honest. I'm not sure if FF is really the big deal anymore when compared to some amazing APS sensors out there, but at least it provides the proper angle with the lenses.

I'd have liked a 50, sure, but 35 is really usable and cropable. Maybe one might not get the bokeh they want all the time, but whatever.

It makes me wish even more that Pentax had a fast 35eq for APSc. It's conspicuously missing.