Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Some ISO tests of the A99 :

Fotopolis.pl: Sony A99 - zdj
Good high ISO performance. Otherwise not very impressive; hardly distinguishable from a K-5 at lower ISO's. Pentax should use a 36mp sensor in their FF camera...

09-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Doesn't look like it has a flash from here. Surely that small section behind the microphones can't be one? That'd be about as useful as the front legs on a T-Rex.
Eh, could be, if the 'microphones' are part of the flippy-bit. You could *have* a couple little Iphone strobes under there without needing a big reflector, ... it's unlikely to look good anyway, but a lot of people don't want to be like 'No can do' with their fancy DSLR.

Looks like a nice enough design, though, maybe *except* the articulated screen and taller-than-it-needs-to be mode-dial- in my off-eye line of sight.

Still not sold on this 'articulated screen' thing in a DSLR: not worth making me crowd the real viewfinder over some plastic in there, it's too bulky and fragile and case-penetrating for me to want to risk destroying a pricey camera over. I realize they're useful for video, but I don't want one till they're skinny and self-contained. The glass tech is coming down the pipeline, though.

Sony does come up with some nice designs, though, never could quite put it all together for someone like me, though. Have to admit the things I like about this remind me of Mzs's and the K-5, but nicely-done, looks like, overall, if it performs.
09-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Some ISO tests of the A99 :

Fotopolis.pl: Sony A99 - zdj
Chroma noise reduction know how has certainly improved over the past few years and been better implmented into the cameras when previously we needed a seperate software.

From the high ISO samples, I would suspect I'm still seeing the same smeared look that has been on the Sony SLT cameras from ISO3200 and up.
Certainly usable at normal viewing, but against the better detail retention of its competitiors, I'm not sure if it will match up.

Once samples are avaliable on ImagingResource or DPR, we will know for sure.
09-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

To me a camera like that should never take JPEGs. It's all about RAW and I would like to see how it performs in LR etc... It's common knowledge that Sony's JPEG engine is pretty bad.