Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any Other Brands Use the K Mount?

I've been hoping to get a camera that does good-great video. Now that it seems like K5II won't really deliver on the video features of the K30, I'm thinking about the possibility of getting something from another brand. I don't want to buy into a whole new system so I was wondering if there are any other companies that use the K mount?

I've heard Panasonic is doing some great things with video. I'm hoping to not spend more than 500 (if that's possible). I also wouldn't mind something that uses an adapter, as long as the adapter doesn't make the camera completely manual. Not sure if this is even possible, but I figured it was worth the ask.

I have thought about the K01, but I don't know how the video on that camera compares to other brands. Thanks for your suggestions.

09-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Only Ricoh uses the K mount. Your K mount lenses will become manual when adapted to other cameras.
09-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The following link should help.............Cliff

Other brands with K-mount
09-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
The following link should help.............Cliff

Other brands with K-mount
I saw that but the list seems to end at 1994.

09-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I saw that but the list seems to end at 1994.
So does the use of K mount by other manufacturers.

You can use your K-mount lenses on any compact system camera (Canon EOS-M, Fujifilm X-Pro1 and X-E1, Nikon One system, Olympus's and Panasonic's µ4/3 cameras, Ricoh GXR with M module, Samsung NX, Sony NEX) with the appropriate adapter.

If your lenses are DAs (without aperture ring), you will have to buy an adapter with a ring that commands the lens's diaphragm.

Manual and aperture priority modes will be usable. Focus will be manual.

Alternatively, you might consider buying a K-01 if you are interested in its video performance.
09-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not a video guy, but from what I read about it, the K-01 is supposedly good at it. The youtube Pentax channel has some pro quality videos made with the K-01. Of course, they used a whole rig and good lighting.
The K-01 is a fun camera and good for video. I think it even has microphone jacks. Just keep in mind that focus peaking turns off when you start recording.
09-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wondering, how many Pentaxians have cursed the Ricoh K-mount for that pin?

09-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Many camera brands have used the K-mount, but Pentax is the only dSLR maker using the mount. Vivitar currently markets a Cosina-made film SLR with a K-mount. I think there may also me some Chinese film cameras as well.

Steve
09-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Just wondering, how many Pentaxians have cursed the Ricoh K-mount for that pin?
They should curse Pentax, not Ricoh. The Ricoh variant predates the Pentax AF mount by several years. Pentax was probably aware of the incompatibility when they brought their second-generation AF bodies to market.

Steve
09-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I've been hoping to get a camera that does good-great video. Now that it seems like K5II won't really deliver on the video features of the K30, I'm thinking about the possibility of getting something from another brand. I don't want to buy into a whole new system so I was wondering if there are any other companies that use the K mount?

I've heard Panasonic is doing some great things with video. I'm hoping to not spend more than 500 (if that's possible). I also wouldn't mind something that uses an adapter, as long as the adapter doesn't make the camera completely manual. Not sure if this is even possible, but I figured it was worth the ask.

I have thought about the K01, but I don't know how the video on that camera compares to other brands. Thanks for your suggestions.