Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
EOS 6D--11-point AF disappointing, but looks just like Nikon Multi-CAM 1000

Look at the EOS 6D's AF system (using Imgur to avoid hotlinking to Canon's website; direct link here for HTTPS users):

Canon Inc.

Now compare that to this image:

Notice how similar this is to Nikon's Multi-CAM 1000 system. While Canon's new AF system has an extra high-precision vertical-sensitive sensor and works down to EV -3 (matching the K-5 II), it just doesn't seem any different otherwise. Well, this is disappointing to those who expected better, EOS 7D-like AF...

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 09-17-2012 at 08:37 AM.
09-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am disappointed in their AF choice for their entry level FF. It's understandable to give up a few things to make it cheaper, but I don't think AF is one of them, considering the amount of people who were unhappy with the 5D Mk2's AF system.
09-17-2012, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In terms of specification, the K-5 II has a better AF system, with 9 cross-type points rather than one and the same EV -3 sensitivity and f/2.8 high-precision capability. If the tests agree, I'm virtually certain that Canon users will be very upset, even angry, given the US$1400 price gap between the EOS 6D and EOS 5D Mark III.

Edit: Just noticed that this is my 500th post, yay!

--DragonLord
09-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats on the 500th post - and it was a useful post!

I, personally, am fine with the k-5ii having 11 point AF - especially considering that it is upgraded to -3EV and most likely have a similar AF algorithm to the k-30 (which has been noted by several users to be more decisive and accurate). This is, however, on the caveat that the subsequent k-3 flagship (or FF) will have at LEAST 19 points.

But for the 6D, however, I don't think it should have been issued with the 11 point AF. I don't see why they couldn't go with something similar to the 19 point system on the 7D - people love the 7D's AF. It's just so short-sighted, in my opinion.

09-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To see that Canon's new AF system doesn't compare to that of the Nikon D600's Multi-CAM 4800FX, with the same arrangement as the D7000's Multi-CAM 4800DX only scaled up for FX format, is really disappointing. I am very dismayed by the fact that Canon has decided to use essentially the same AF point layout found in Nikon's entry-level cameras...

--DragonLord
09-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was thinking of getting the 5D3 from 7D but the more i thought about it the more i got dis-interested of upgrading to FF, so i'm just working on adding to my lens collection and try to use my systems that i have currently.

In the future FF should be the norm as it was in film and prices should reflect mass manufacturing etc.

Right now it's social media sharing and online storage in my opinion a P&S is good enough
09-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When I first saw the specs I thought the 11 point system was low considering that on most comparisons across the range on average Canon has higher af point counts. On the other hand most experienced users use center + recompose (unless in superthin dof situtations), in which case the Canon stil has the best one as it seems to have diagonal ones as well (based on the diagram drawn).

09-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
When I first saw the specs I thought the 11 point system was low considering that on most comparisons across the range on average Canon has higher af point counts. On the other hand most experienced users use center + recompose (unless in superthin dof situtations), in which case the Canon stil has the best one as it seems to have diagonal ones as well (based on the diagram drawn).
Diagonal? What do you mean?
09-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Look at the image again. The diagram for the EOS 6D AF system does not indicate any diagonal sensors.

--DragonLord
09-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Look at the image again. The diagram for the EOS 6D AF system does not indicate any diagonal sensors.

--DragonLord
I think Verglace confused it with the 60D. I just noticed that the 60D center point shows diagonals.

Not sure how that helps with focus and recompose though...
09-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

LOL.

It's funny seeing people say stuff like 'most experienced users use focus and recompose' when we are talking Canon, but mention the same thing when we are talking Pentax AF in other areas of these forums and everyone says 'it's unacceptable', 'I'm jumping ship' etc.
09-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I think Verglace confused it with the 60D. I just noticed that the 60D center point shows diagonals.

Not sure how that helps with focus and recompose though...
Yep, was just looking at the drawings and not the cgi one. That's a pretty bad nerf.