Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon D600 now #1 on Day 1 at Amazon US

Wow, Nikon D600 sits at #1 on Amazon USA on its first day !

Maybe this will make Canon notice ?

My favorite spec D600 offers that no Canon offers is f8 autofocus, second favorite is built in flash on full frame platform.

Amazon Best Sellers: best Digital SLR Cameras

09-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We went through the same kind of thing with the D800. I'm not really sure of the relevance, or of why Canon needs to take notice. Nikon sells a lot of cameras... we all know that. DO we even know what tracking from Amazon means? What kind of camera buyer buys stuff from Amazon? Of what relevance is that to the overall market? If my local drug store sells more Dentine than Juicy Fruit, is that cause for thought? Just wondering where you're going with this.
09-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We went through the same kind of thing with the D800. I'm not really sure of the relevance, or of why Canon needs to take notice. Nikon sells a lot of cameras... we all know that. DO we even know what tracking from Amazon means? What kind of camera buyer buys stuff from Amazon? Of what relevance is that to the overall market? If my local drug store sells more Dentine than Juicy Fruit, is that cause for thought? Just wondering where you're going with this.
If you are Dentine and Juicy Fruit, it should be thought for their respective product development and marketing people.
09-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If you are Dentine and Juicy Fruit, it should be thought for their respective product development and marketing people.
So you're saying this is a post directed to the Canon marketing department... my mistake, I thought being a public forum not a corporate office it might have some relevance to me.

09-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got one foot firmly planted in Canon Camp, other firmly planted in Nikon System.
Still have Pentax gear waiting for 24x36 solution for all the Pentax glass I've acquired past 10 years.
I'm not the only one waiting...

I wish Canon offered more in 2012 but they are #1, they think they don't have to.
Nikon does offer more bang for buck cause they are #2.

Still having Pentax gear in my kit keeps me watchin and wondering how long it will take Ricoh to make any full frame K Mount ? I'd like to see how my Pentax lenses made for full frame hold up on Pentax full frame Dslr.

09-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

So you're saying this is a post directed to the Canon marketing department... my mistake, I thought being a public forum not a corporate office it might have some relevance to me.
We weren't talking about the post but the sales ranking and you know it. Nice try at the old Texas side step though.

This is what I suggested that they would be looking at:

Amazon Best Sellers: best Digital SLR Cameras

Besides, why would a Dentine or Juicy Fruit R&D or marketing team be reading posts in this sub-forum at PF?

sarcasm
09-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Pentax K-5 #44, wooooo hooooo.. Man those Canon guys sell a lot of cameras. I notice the Canon EOS 5D Mk II is hanging in at #12, and is now the cheapest FF body by about $300... , I think the Canon marketing people might be watching.

09-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Norm, you are continually wandering in to the non-Pentax subforum and asking why people are talking about non-Pentax cameras in here. What's up with that?
09-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

jsherman you are constantly wandering into whatever forums and misrepresenting what I say... what's up with that? Even if it was about Pentax I would have questioned if that stat had any meaning to anyone.... our previous history is affecting your current judgement.

Or is Amazon the latest and greatest interpreter of what's good in the world, and I missed the memo?
09-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter

jsherman you are constantly wandering into whatever forums and misrepresenting what I say... what's up with that? Even if it was about Pentax I would have questioned if that stat had any meaning to anyone.... our previous history is affecting your current judgement.

Or is Amazon the latest and greatest interpreter of what's good in the world, and I missed the memo?

Its just one data set for sales across brands. If I were a marketing guy, it would certainly interest me along with many other data sets.
09-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Its just one data set for sales across brands. If I were a marketing guy, it would certainly interest me along with many other data sets.
Yes well the in this case having a handle on some of the other data sets might prevent one from bandering about skewed information, unless one doesn't care whether one's information is skewed.

But maybe you're right, if you started with nada, getting one piece of the puzzle is probably huge...

But really, now that the 5d Mk II is like $1900, and the cheapest as far as I know FF... what's it like, and can you get a Canon to K-mount adapter for it? Anyone know?
09-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Yes well the in this case having a handle on some of the other data sets might prevent one from bandering about skewed information, unless one doesn't care whether one's information is skewed.

But maybe you're right, if you started with nada, getting one piece of the puzzle is probably huge...

But really, now that the 5d Mk II is like $1900, and the cheapest as far as I know FF... what's it like, and can you get a Canon to K-mount adapter for it? Anyone know?
The Canon marketing guys would know how long the MK II has been on the market and how many new units are likely still in the distribution network. Plus, no one was talking about using a single source or skewed data. A good marketing group would know that.

Canon and Nikon are in a different situation. From a Pentax context, looking at Amazon, BH, Adorama, and Pentax Imaging would give a good snap shot of the U.S. sales. The trick is to find out how much they could have handled relative to production and distribution.
09-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
From a Pentax context, looking at Amazon, BH, Adorama, and Pentax Imaging would give a good snap shot of the U.S. sales. The trick is to find out how much they could have handled relative to production and distribution.
A Pentax guy would know what their capacity was, how close to capacity they operated, how many units they sold each month and whether that was increasing or decreasing. I find it hard to believe how many were sold on Amazon would play much part in their thinking. That would seem like pretty peripheral information, unless a baseline had already been established to be able to interpret the whole market from one indicator, and Amazon was chosen as that indicator.
09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter

A Pentax guy would know what their capacity was, how close to capacity they operated, how many units they sold each month and whether that was increasing or decreasing. I find it hard to believe how many were sold on Amazon would play much part in their thinking. That would seem like pretty peripheral information, unless a baseline had already been established to be able to interpret the whole market from one indicator, and Amazon was chosen as that indicator.
So you are back to that one indicator thing again. So you propose that Pentax just make some lenses send them to Colorado and not track the distribution channels. Unbelievable. Wait, have you been working out in Golden and Denver?

sarcasm
09-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

So you're saying every marketing department tracks every item of every sale for everyone who sells their product? You're too funny. I get a kick out of people who talk thorough their hats and then try and make it sound like they know something by ridiculing their opponent.

QuoteQuote:
Unbelievable. Wait, have you been working out in Golden and Denver?
Ya, pretty much your only way to get any cred I guess.