Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Looking at DPR test results the Fuji 16MP in the XP-1 is the best performing APS-C sensor.
DPR results are just bad guesses. Aside from that, Richard Butler said the Sony 24mp is the best APS-C sensor recently.

10-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
DPR results are just bad guesses. Aside from that, Richard Butler said the Sony 24mp is the best APS-C sensor recently.
Really. They had the Pentax K-5 as the best for the past 2 years... were they wrong?

Which Sony 24MP is he talking about? Sony has at least 2 different 24MP APS-C sensor currently in production.

The latest 24MP pretty much matches the 16MP in in the K-5, but with much better detail.
10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Really. They had the Pentax K-5 as the best for the past 2 years... were they wrong?

Which Sony 24MP is he talking about? Sony has at least 2 different 24MP APS-C sensor currently in production.

The latest 24MP pretty much matches the 16MP in in the K-5, but with much better detail.
The one in the NEX-7. He was replying to someone in the Pentax Forum who said the K-5 sensor was the best APS-C.
10-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #109
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The k-x has inferior build quality? Lol? I'd love for you to lend me a EPL-2 and I'll put it through exactly what my k-x has gone through. Then we'll see about build quality.
The K-x body is all plastic. The E-PL2 body is half metal, half plastic and it feels more rigid in my hand - I find it superior because of this.

The k-x is fantastically well built - better than any other entry level from Nikon or Canon even till now. You can mock it's lack of customization and AF (dear lord, it's 6 years old), but to mock it's build quality is just idiotic.
I am not mocking its build quality. I just think it is inferior to the E-PL2. The fact that it may be superior to some Nikon and Canon cameras is besides the point.

Also, the K-x is not 6 years old, it is just 3 years old. And the lack of control customization is present in all Pentax DSLRs, including the K-5.

10-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
So, to properly summarize, the dxomark results show that low light ISO performance of K-x, K-5, and E-M5 holds well until camera settings of a bit over ISO 800, ISO 1200, and ISO 1600, respectively (after converting the dxomark ISO values into actual camera ISO values, to reflect practical use). This gives E-M5 almost a half stop advantage over the K-5 and a full stop over the K-x.

Again:

K-x - ~ISO 800
K-5 - ~ISO 1200
E-M5 - ~ISO 1600
What are you talking about? DXO results show the K-x and E-M5 the same at ~800, the K-5 half a stop better.
10-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The K-x body is all plastic. The E-PL2 body is half metal, half plastic and it feels more rigid in my hand - I find it superior because of this.

I am not mocking its build quality. I just think it is inferior to the E-PL2. The fact that it may be superior to some Nikon and Canon cameras is besides the point.

Also, the K-x is not 6 years old, it is just 3 years old. And the lack of control customization is present in all Pentax DSLRs, including the K-5.
Apologies on the age - mistook that.

Lack of control customization may be a failing on the k-5, but on the k-x it's expected. I would not fault it, when comparing it to something that came out last year. The body may be all plastic, but it's solid beyond belief. I've had mine drop from a 6 foot height onto a marble floor. It survived very well.
10-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #112
Banned

Original Poster
The body may be all plastic, but it's solid beyond belief. I've had mine drop from a 6 foot height onto a marble floor. It survived very well.
I am pretty sure that the K-x, like all the other Pentax cameras I own, is pretty good at resisting shocks or control failures. I was not implying that it would fall apart or anything like that. But I never got adjusted to its plastic build. Sometimes, if I would tighten my grip on it, the plastic would flex slightly. The on/off switch also feels loose and doesn't click as it does on my other cameras with similar switches. It's a tactile issue for me.

Also, regarding the E-PL2, it has a very nice built in flash that can be tilted with the thumb to bounce it. In this aspect, it is superior even to the E-M5. I think it's the only Pen with this feature and it makes the built in flash much more versatile than it usually is.

I got the K-x for the sensor, but I ended up using it almost exclusively with mirror lenses, where I needed high ISO. For everything else, I preferred going back to the K10D or K-7 which gave me better controls, a better viewfinder and overall a better shooting experience. Sensor performance is just one aspect and I think it became secondary several years ago.

10-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The one in the NEX-7. He was replying to someone in the Pentax Forum who said the K-5 sensor was the best APS-C.
The new 24MP in the D3200 scores a DXO Low-light ISO score of 1131.
The older 24MP in the NEX-7 scores a DXO Low-Light ISO score of 1016.
The K-5 16MP scores a 1162.

The D3200 is Nikon's entry level camera with less than optimal image processing. I'm pretty sure Pentax can get a lot more out of that sensor.

The NEX-7 has a 24MP sensor with a different pixel pitch than the D3200. 3.9 (NEX-7) vs. 3.82 (D3200).

For large print work the 24MP is the better sensor.
10-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #114
Banned

Original Poster
A nice review of the E-M5 with excellent image samples:

Full review: The Olympus OM-D E-M5 ? Ming Thein | Photographer

Probably not new for many, but worth adding to this thread.