Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help—I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime, I'm going to shoot [pictures].

10-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
If someone "hacks" the lens, it would, worst case scenario, not focus correctly, right?
The best answer is: who really knows? An attacker could simply fry the lens for fun and turn it into an optical 'brick'.

But the lens has a chip, the chip has a CPU, the chip has an ability to store data in order to function, the lens has an ability to interface to the 'dock', the dock can interface with a PC, and then the world.

Since the existing chips in Sigma lenses already interface with the camera to tell the camera about focal length and aperture, perhaps the new lenses might also be able to query other data on the camera (GPS info, name of photog) or send instructions to the body. Maybe it could run scripts on the body or read or corrupt or maniplulate data stored in the body.

The mining bitcoins issue is a good iilustrative example. A program can be executed off-line, then dump data upstream (or talk to a command-and-control server to receive new instructions) once a network connection is detected. If over time there are millions of Sigma lenses out there, each with even modest or intermittent spare CPU cycles available, connected to millions of cameras and PC's, that's still a significant resource one could put to use in any number of ways.

When DSLR's get their own IP addresses, connections to Wifi and the web (it's already happening - eg the latest NEX's) not only the bodies themselves, but their whole accessory eco-system will need to be designed with security in mind.

Last edited by rawr; 10-05-2012 at 04:32 PM.
10-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #18
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
When DSLR's get their own IP addresses, connections to Wifi and the web (it's already happening - eg the latest NEX's) not only the bodies themselves, but their whole accessory eco-system will need to be designed with security in mind
Could easily be dealt with with a version of system restore or last known good configuration. Out of all of the computer viruses or issues over the last twenty years - only two have actually been damaging to any computers. All of the many others are more of an inconvenience.
10-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Out of all of the computer viruses or issues over the last twenty years - only two have actually been damaging to any computers.
Viruses are one thing, being a malware host is another

10-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Several lens companies have been doing this for years. The concern over malware infecting my lens is kind of funny. How many programmable wireless mice are there on the market? They could all get hacked... Keyboards??? Welcome to the digital age.
10-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They could all get hacked
Perhaps they already are ..., and if it is a wireless keyboard or mouse, it's just too easy.
10-08-2012, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Perhaps they already are ..., and if it is a wireless keyboard or mouse, it's just too easy.
Maybe you can wrap them in some tinfoil from your hat and they'll be safe.

10-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Sigma have some good ideas and it's about time the user got some better control over AF. These new technologies will only work for lenses with built-in motors, of course, which I'm not a fan of as they drive up cost and introduce a very fragile system that will almost inevitably be the first part of the lens to break through normal use.
10-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
tinfoil
Ha! I don't need no tinfoil. I have a big titanium plate in my head. And all my clothing has wire mesh woven into it. I'm practically a walking Faraday cage.
10-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Sigma have some good ideas and it's about time the user got some better control over AF. These new technologies will only work for lenses with built-in motors, of course, which I'm not a fan of as they drive up cost and introduce a very fragile system that will almost inevitably be the first part of the lens to break through normal use.
Hah, what? Canon has used built in motors since 1987 and it is very rare that one fails.
10-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
and it is very rare that one fails.
Oh really and truly (Canon 100-400 IS L - AF motor, Canon 35mm f/1.4 - USM motor... ) ?
10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Your point being...? A google search (where, incidentally, the vast majority of results in your search do NOT relate to USM failures) tells nothing of how common a failure is. Remember that Canon has produced tens of millions of EF lenses, is a half dozen hits on failed AF motor going to somehow say that failures aren't rare?

The second link goes to a rental place that had 3 AF failures on the 35L with an average time before failure of 110 weeks. These are RENTAL lenses that get shipped around the country and generally handled with far less care than your average lens. Still, average of over two years before any problems. And Roger C. points out:
"Finally, the usual ‘don’t read this and lose your mind‘ call goes out: These are heavily used, frequently shipped lenses. A given lens would have a far lower repair rate owned by someone who uses it on weekends, takes good care of it, and doesn’t ship it around the country."

So, yeah. Go look at any of the big Canon forums and see how many posts you can find about AF motor failures.
10-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #28
Banned

Well I would like the new Sigma 120-300mm/f2.8 EX DG OS HSM with usb-connection in K-mount. I will sell my 70-200mm for that.
10-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shot Canon for years. 24-70L, 85L, 135L and I never had a problem or remember significant problems being reported by the user base. Pentax and SDM is the first time I have seen any large scale failure. Sigma has had some AF problems in the past, but HSM has been very reliable. Right now I would put Sigma's QC ahead of Pentax on any lens except the 3 FA Limited lenses, but those a simple lenses and should have all the flaws worked out of the design by now.
10-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I agree with the above, built in motors are reliable. I would say about as much as screw driven AF (yes they can fail too).

I purchased a 2nd hand Nikon 28-70 AF-S which was originally purchased back in 1999, it has a built in motor similar to the SDM and has not yet failed more than 10 years later. Just because Pentax has problems with their built in motor does not mean that everyone else has. Pentax has just been unlucky to produce an unreliable design. Lots of people in these forums have become paranoid with built in motors because of Pentax's issues and assume that everyone else has those problems as well. It is understandable but false.