Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If video is going to be important to you, check out the Panasonic GH3.

10-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a fantastic deal on a D7000, you won't regret it. My uncle has one and loves it.

Tough call though.
10-14-2012, 04:57 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
Thanks for posting this. Pentax K-30 with 18-55 kit lens purchased. Now to wait a few weeks before I can open and use it.
Enjoy!!! You are welcome.
10-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I've had the K10, K20 and now the K5 since Feb 2012. Like many others, i have expressed my wishes and thoughts about where I thought Pentax should be headed, in particular expressing support for a more enthusiastic mirrorless program.

Well, yesterday i ordered a Sony Nex 5N, they are currently heavily discounted to make way for newer models, the 5R and the 6 most likely.

The Nex system offers a lot of options that Pentax seemingly refuses to consider, like a tilting LCD, a smaller mount for a smaller camera, but a large APS sensor, etc. What slowed me down in making this purchase, is that Sony still doesn't have some types of native lenses for its NEX series that we take for granted with our pentax cameras. In particular, their e-mount zooms, like the the 55-210 have a top end f-stop of F6.3, and yet the volume of these lenses is quite large compared to the F stop they offer. I think the reason is they have incorporated OSS in this and their other zooms. So i bought the cheapest Nex relatively, to supplement my K5 rather than to replace it. Do you want a constant F2.8 or F4 zoom, well Pentax can provide it but not Sony Nex. Those are the type of zooms i use every month for my theatre event work

In short, there is no perfect camera system. I think i'm going to enjoy being a 2-system photographer :-), i can enjoy the best of both systems.

10-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #35

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
In short, there is no perfect camera system. I think i'm going to enjoy being a 2-system photographer :-), i can enjoy the best of both systems.
In the end, this is probably something I will go to. Starting out, I'm going with Pentax. It's just right for me. Though buying into a system, I need to have a camera that is right for me. The K-30 just felt right in my hands. It was comfortable. That and my feelings toward the brand made it easier for me. I may end up supplementing the system with another. Not sure what that will be but, for the time being, I'm a Pentax guy. Thanks to all of you for the input. It was helpful in thinking this out and in making it known that I have support from the community if I have other questions or issues that I need help with.
10-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I've read through the first two pages of this thread and two things jump out at me 1) your initial budget and 2) your annual on-going budget for lenses (at one per year - that desire will change) ! TB brutally H, a lens budget of US$300-500 per annum is not going to get you much at all.

IMHO you have only two choices, Nikon or Pentax, because both of those brands have huge supplies of high IQ legacy glass that will fit within your budget since most high quality modern lenses are going to leave you gasping. You need to look at what you currently believe you will be shooting and pick up an older used camera from the likes of B&H, Adorama or KEH and look at what insurance cover you can get for it, then use the bulk of your budget on buying high quality legacy glass (of course most will be MF but for many subjects this is hardly an issue). There will be a few very good quality modern lenses (I'm thinking of the Nikon G range) that may creep into your budget for AF lenses and of course in years to come will be available used for bargain prices. This will get you far higher IQ than a brand new camera and lower quality glass.

Just my 2c.
10-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #37
Banned

All the research I've done has been on Pentax. Two years worth of research lol.
You seem to have missed one major trend: mirrorless cameras will replace DSLRs and right now, Nikon and Ricoh/Pentax neither offer a system worth investing in. Canon has the EOS-M, which is meager today, but can be beefed up over night, if needed. Everyone else already has a system going: Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Fuji, are all innovating in this area. Best thing you can do is to wait one more year and see how things progress. If you need a camera right now, get a capable camera like the RX100 - it should keep you busy for one year.

10-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
IMHO you have only two choices, Nikon or Pentax, because both of those brands have huge supplies of high IQ legacy glass that will fit within your budget since most high quality modern lenses are going to leave you gasping. You need to look at what you currently believe you will be shooting and pick up an older used camera from the likes of B&H, Adorama or KEH and look at what insurance cover you can get for it, then use the bulk of your budget on buying high quality legacy glass (of course most will be MF but for many subjects this is hardly an issue). There will be a few very good quality modern lenses (I'm thinking of the Nikon G range) that may creep into your budget for AF lenses and of course in years to come will be available used for bargain prices. This will get you far higher IQ than a brand new camera and lower quality glass.
Thanks so much for the input. Yes, I agree the budget is a problem and that LBA will soon get to me. However, that is what it is and I can't change it. Luckily, I'm with you on the legacy glass. I love MF and have no problems using older, more affordable stuff. Marketplace, here I come.

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
You seem to have missed one major trend: mirrorless cameras will replace DSLRs and right now, Nikon and Ricoh/Pentax neither offer a system worth investing in. Canon has the EOS-M, which is meager today, but can be beefed up over night, if needed. Everyone else already has a system going: Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Fuji, are all innovating in this area. Best thing you can do is to wait one more year and see how things progress. If you need a camera right now, get a capable camera like the RX100 - it should keep you busy for one year.
Thanks for your input as well. I'm very intrigued by the mirrorless camera systems and have looked at them a lot. The K-01 has been one I've looked at mostly for the video capabilities it brings to the table. Luckily, as the K-01 uses K mount lenses, if I do choose to pick one up, I'll have lenses for it (eventually). Plus, in my uneducated opinion, even if the mirrorless cameras do become more and more popular, I fell like the DSLR systems will always have a place in the industry. I'm just not convinced the mirrorless systems have all the bases covered to edge the old standbys out completely.

This is great conversation and I'd love to continue hearing more about it. I do have a K-30 and kit lens sitting in my closet upstairs waiting patiently for me to open it on my birthday next month. I on the other hand am not waiting so patiently. It's killing me
10-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is great conversation and I'd love to continue hearing more about it. I do have a K-30 and kit lens sitting in my closet upstairs waiting patiently for me to open it on my birthday next month. I on the other hand am not waiting so patiently. It's killing me
You haven't heard? Because of the Mayan calendar fiasco, the details of which are too complicated to explain on here, the months have been pushed forward by one month. It's actually November now. Go ahead and open the box.