Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than Pentax, which are the best small digital cameras accepting K mount glass?

OK, I have been doing quite a bit of searching for finding out which "small" digital camera will accept K mount glass and of course, there are loads of them out there.

What I do really wonder is: which "compact" camera (apart from Pentax of course) will render the best IQ when adapting a K mount lens?
Lots of people here adapt their K glass to their "small" digital cameras ...

I had started a thread, a long while ago, regarding the possible choices for a "compact" back up for my K5, something easily portable, but there have been so many new models coming out during the past few months that the choice has become quite a chore.
As a matter of fact, I don't even know where to look anymore ... Yeah, I know: I was initially looking for a camera which wouldn't tempt me to get into a new LBA fit! But if I can use my present lenses .... good!

I have been contemplating a few models such as the Sony NEX6, Fuji X-E1 for instance.

So, perhaps by buying a small, advanced camera with the possibility to mount my existing K mount glass would be a good idea ?

As long as the said camera also has:
1. great IQ
2. viewfinder (I just can't focus with those darn rear monitors)
3. "as small as possible" (i.e.: smaller than my K5 for sure)

Anyone wants to jump in and help building a list of the possible choices?

10-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I don't want to start buying another collection of lenses besides the Pentax ones i already have.

I figure a good strategy wtih an advanced compact milc (for lens):
a. buy the camera wtih the kit lens to have one all around AF lens (or buy body only and purchase one AF lens for that emount)

b. supplement the one AF native lens with one or more Pentax lenses. e.g. to have a long lens, bring along the small Pentax M-135 lens,

The Nex6 sounds like an excellent camera.

Another camera i've thought about is the Nex 5R, perhaps body only to reduce cost even more and avoid that large older zoom.
Sony NEX-5R Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

Highlights from dpreview:
16.1MP CMOS sensor
ISO 100-25600
Top-plate control dial
Dedicated Fn button
Wi-Fi for connection via Wi-Fi networks or to smartphones
Proprietary in-camera apps
Touch-screen display
Electronic First Curtain shutter
1080p 60p HD movies in AVCHD (50p on PAL region models)
10-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I don't want to start buying another collection of lenses besides the Pentax ones i already have.

I figure a good strategy wtih an advanced compact milc (for lens):
a. buy the camera wtih the kit lens to have one all around AF lens (or buy body only and purchase one AF lens for that emount)

b. supplement the one AF native lens with one or more Pentax lenses. e.g. to have a long lens, bring along the small Pentax M-135 lens,

The Nex6 sounds like an excellent camera.

Another camera i've thought about is the Nex 5R, perhaps body only to reduce cost even more and avoid that large older zoom.
Sony NEX-5R Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

Highlights from dpreview:
16.1MP CMOS sensor
ISO 100-25600
Top-plate control dial
Dedicated Fn button
Wi-Fi for connection via Wi-Fi networks or to smartphones
Proprietary in-camera apps
Touch-screen display
Electronic First Curtain shutter
1080p 60p HD movies in AVCHD (50p on PAL region models)
Thanks Phil.

I've checked the NEX-5R and it is an interesting little camera but it doesn't have a viewfinder ... I can't go without that.
Overall though, if someone doesn't mind focusing with the monitor (rear): great!

JP
10-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been playing with an NEX3 and old Pentax primes - the cheapest way in to the NEX system. The focus peaking and MF assist button provide much greater MF accuracy than my K7 viewfinder. Especially when you're using faster glass. What you do lose is that engagement with the subject which an OVF provides. I think an EVF would be a good compromise, so if you can afford it, NEX6 or Ricoh GXR would be interesting.

10-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I have been playing with an NEX3 and old Pentax primes - the cheapest way in to the NEX system. The focus peaking and MF assist button provide much greater MF accuracy than my K7 viewfinder. Especially when you're using faster glass. What you do lose is that engagement with the subject which an OVF provides. I think an EVF would be a good compromise, so if you can afford it, NEX6 or Ricoh GXR would be interesting.
I definitely must have the viewfinder because this LV business is killing me !

JP
10-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The NEX 6 is your best option. It will do everything you want. Or you can buy my 5n, Viewfinder attachment and upgraded flash unit for 600 and I'll get the NEX 6. That's an even better option .
10-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

NEX6 seems your best option.

Fuji X-E1 would do it too, but it's bigger than the NEX

10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The NEX 6 is your best option. It will do everything you want. Or you can buy my 5n, Viewfinder attachment and upgraded flash unit for 600 and I'll get the NEX 6. That's an even better option .
Good try, kenafein !

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
NEX6 seems your best option.

Fuji X-E1 would do it too, but it's bigger than the NEX
Yes, I checked the specs for the Fuji ... litlle bit bigger indeed, and pricier.
Each has its own great things ...

So, now I am going to check which adapters are the verybest and what price they go for.

Cheers!

JP

Edit: adapters ...

Fotodiox : $19.95 ?? Looks cheap ? http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Pentax-E-mount-NEX-VG10/dp/B003Y302FI...xp_grid_pt_0_2
CowboyStudio Lens Mount Adapter : $19.95 looks cheap too. http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Adapter-Pentax--mount-Cameras/dp/B004KMWE...5003603&sr=1-1
Novoflex: $169.00. Pricey but is it worth the price? http://www.novoflex.com/index.php

Strange enough, this seems to be the same adapter as the previous one above, but nearly twice as much $$ from B&H:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737932-REG/Novoflex_NEX_PENT_Adapter_for_Pentax_K.html

Last edited by jpzk; 10-08-2012 at 06:44 PM.
10-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #9

I'm on the same boat too. Can't decide if I want the NEX-5N (cheaper) or NEX-6 (w/ the EVF at the same cost of a K-30) or Fuji X-E1 (much expensive - almost the same price as the new K-5ii). I'm favoring the X-E1 but need to see and try it on the flesh and it also comes with the good line of lenses that Pentax won't produce.

If buying an adapter, just make sure it can do infinity focus.

I have a K-x and I'm contemplating on either upgrading or complementing it with a different camera. I mainly shoot jpegs thus the Fuji is much more favorable since it renders very good jpeg images. But if I choose Fuji, that means I can also consider a K-5ii which has a lot more feature. I mainly shoot my kids and some static images which the k-x can handle.

If only Pentax had just released a FF then I would have gone to that direction. A recent visit from a camera shop gave me an opportunity to see a Nikon D600 and was turned-off by the enormous size. I was considering it but have now opted for a smaller camera. I wonder how big would a Pentax FF would be in the future?

Last edited by mannyquinto; 10-08-2012 at 08:07 PM.
10-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I bought the NEX-5N a couple of months ago (just after the K-01 release), and I am still surprised at how much I like the camera.

I got it specifically to use with my Pentax-M lenses.

I don't miss the viewfinder as much as I thought I would, although I might buy the add-on finder eventually.

The lack of lenses for the E mount can be an issue, but slowly we are seeing more and more options announced.

The NEX is a better camera for my vintage glass then any Pentax DSLR that I have ever used.
10-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, now I am going to check which adapters are the verybest and what price they go for.
They are simple devices - I got the cheapest one I could find on ebay, works great. I'm going to 'upgrade' to one that allows you to open/close the aperture on DA/FAJ lenses though - they're only slightly more expensive.
10-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Good try, kenafein !

Yes, I checked the specs for the Fuji ... litlle bit bigger indeed, and pricier.
Each has its own great things ...

Cheers!

JP

Edit: adapters ...

Fotodiox : $19.95 ?? Looks cheap ? http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Pentax-E-mount-NEX-VG10/dp/B003Y302FI...xp_grid_pt_0_2
CowboyStudio Lens Mount Adapter : $19.95 looks cheap too. Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Lens Mount Adapter for Pentax K PK Lens to Sony NEX E-mount Cameras - Sony NEX 3, Nex 5, NEX-VG10: Electronics
Novoflex: $169.00. Pricey but is it worth the price? Novoflex - _info

Strange enough, this seems to be the same adapter as the previous one above, but nearly twice as much $$ from B&H:Novoflex Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX/PENT
I mostly use Fotodiox and Metabones. You will occasionally have infinity issues with even the best adapters though.
10-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

A DA-NEX adapter might be a better choice as you could use Pentax DA lenses as well. It is only a few dollars extra, like this one Amazon.com: RainbowImaging Pentax DA lens to Sony E-Mount NEX-3 NEX-5 Camera Mount Adapter: Electronics
10-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
A DA-NEX adapter might be a better choice as you could use Pentax DA lenses as well. It is only a few dollars extra, like this one Amazon.com: RainbowImaging Pentax DA lens to Sony E-Mount NEX-3 NEX-5 Camera Mount Adapter: Electronics
Yes, that would be the ideal adapter because of the aperture control.

Thanks for the link!

JP
10-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I mostly use Fotodiox and Metabones. You will occasionally have infinity issues with even the best adapters though.
Just checked Metabones .... no Pentax to Sony adapters there?

JP