Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Nikon film camera repair

Now, for Pentax, there's you-know-who. What about Nikon film cameras?

Reason I'm asking is because after failing to sell a Nikon F2a with a Nikon MD-3 grip that I have here, I'm looking to have it CLA'd and tested. I found one online but he's quite expensive, and nowhere as thorough as Eric is. The Nikon F2a looks a little bit beaten on the outside, but its insides look pristine, and I'm hoping not to have to pay a couple hundred bucks to simply have it CLA'd.

10-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi, I think it time to part with your old friend ^_^. I have a working Nikon FM2 and several lenses. But I'd better to send them to eaby before it died. After it died, you can probably only DIY otherwise you are killing yourself from the repair cost point of view.
10-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nonsense. There are plenty of good repairers of film cameras out there.
Standard service on your F2A will range from $100-200.
How much digital camera would $100-200 buy you?

Chris
10-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Essex Camera Services Inc. - Home $150 for the standard repair

10-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #5

Hi, with $100 - $200, I can grab working Nikon manual camera from craigslist or ebay ^_^ already. And normally that's the package price with other stuff. So I don't think reapir really worth it at this point unless DIY as a hobby.
10-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
Hi, with $100 - $200, I can grab working Nikon manual camera from craigslist or ebay ^_^ already. And normally that's the package price with other stuff. So I don't think reapir really worth it at this point unless DIY as a hobby.
There is a difference between working and working right. I have a couple K1000s sitting here that "work" just fine, whether or not the shutter speeds are accurate is another matter. They are over 20 years old, so the light seals are mostly gone along with the mirror bumper foam, but technically they do work. If I planned to put them into regular use they would be going to Eric for a full service.

There is a huge difference between some 30 year old camera from Craigslist that "works" and one that has just had a CLA.
10-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #7

Yes, that's true. Then we have to spend the money to do CLA ^_^. My FM2's sealing is sticky and keep falling off. I never got the chance to use it for so many years. Maybe it's time for me to listed them on ebay with the 50mm 1.8 and 300mm ed-if 4.5 as well. The lenses are easy to tell if it is in working order. To my surprise, my old Vivitar 283 still works just fine. It is so unbelievable for Vivitar to make such an advanced flash so many years ago and still compatible with today's DSLR. It's so cheap to own such a nice flash than getting a modern one. I like the old quality stuff ^_^. Anyway, it is no harm to keep one of the old follow as a souvenir if we can't sell them. It could worth a lot more for our grandchildren .

10-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was talking to a camera shop owner yesterday who does a lot of repairs and he said that Nikon is only passing out repair parts to authorized repair centers so the repair costs aren't as reasonable as when the local shops could get parts.
10-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
I respectfully disagree. Throwing out a broken camera in favor of buying another working used camera for the same basic price is wasteful. A little more junk in the world, a little less useful in the world. That is a lose-lose proposition.

Besides, what guarantees that the new old camera will not go belly up tomorrow? A repair done with the right firm will last for years to come and will pretty much guarantee no issues.

woof
(working to dig you out)