Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
5D mkii or D600 transition

Okay, I've searched but I can't find the answer...

I can't afford to buy into either system right off the bat, pretty much body one month, and then a lens every 2 months.

So the roadmap would be:

Body
70-200 f2.8
24-70 f2.8
50 f1.4
85 f1.4-8
flashgun

to be completed in about a year and a half.

The thing is, I want to mount my M lenses to get me through. So I know with the 5D Mkii I need to adapt the lenses by removing the apreture feeler. The Nikon wouldn't require the modification, but does require an adapter with a glass element.

Pro's and con's exist to each situation of mounting K glass on either FF body. I'm not giving up my compact K5 system. I plan on this new system to work alongside my K mount system. I'm not selling any Pentax gear, nor will I stop supporting Pentax during my experimentation into the new system.. or so I say now. So I would like the better solution between the two.

The question that remains:

Can anyone here provide any photos of their D600 (or D800 even) with Pentax glass mounted using one of the adapters with the optical element for infinity focusing. How much IQ do you lose? Is it noticeable? Can you show examples?

I much prefer the Nikon ergonomics. However, the 5D mkii can be had for $500 less than the D600.

10-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
You should wait and save money so you can start off with one body and two lenses.
10-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

On the Nikon side of that lens road map, you can optionally look at the new 70-200mm f4 G both at a pocket book savings and a lens you might actually want to carry around.

And you could start off with D AF-S primes. You could buy used 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 D AF-S lenses for about half the cost of a 24-70/2.8 zoom. I haven't had my D600 long but so far my 24-70/2.8 does not get used that much in lieu of some of those primes I've had. I just don't like walking around with the heavy thing but that's me. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by tuco; 10-25-2012 at 09:49 AM.
10-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
On the Nikon side of that lens road map, you can optionally look at the new 70-200mm f4 G both at a pocket book savings and a lens you might actually want to carry around.

And you could start off with D AF-S primes. You could buy used 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 D AF-S lenses for about half the cost of a 24-70/2.8 zoom. I haven't had my D600 long but so far my 24-70/2.8 does not get used that much in lieu of some of those primes I've had. I just don't like walking around with the heavy thing but that's me. Your mileage may vary.
Thats a huge issue of going full frame. I went in and loaded my bag with the D600, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, and the 85 1.4 (seeing as how my pro pentax field kit is K5, 16-50, 50-135, 55 1.4) and the weight was awful. The 70-200 is a huge lens, and it would be my most used without a doubt. I would also spend the extra dollars to get it f.28 over the f4.

I did find the Canon a lil lighter of a kit overall though... I just wish the control dials were better placed.

10-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I shoot with K5 and 5DII systems. The 5DII is more of my everyday camera and I use the K5 as my field camera for hiking (well eventually, anyway, once I get the 16-50 this will really be the case). I think the 5DII is a good value "bang for the buck" FF camera, but if you are looking for awesome AF or excellent shadow lifting, look elsewhere. The 5DII/III sensor gets creamed by the K5 in lifting shadows. Not a big deal, as I know of this weakness and know how to work around it in the field (carry ND filters, bracket, etc). The 5DII and a few lenses get really heavy really quickly, which is why I started investing in Pentax gear. The K5 is a much more compact camera for hiking and its WR give me that extra bit of confidence.

Actually, I kind of wonder sometimes if it was a mistake to tackle two systems as I can't afford to have a decent lens collection for both. This is definitely a consideration. And also take into account that you may need to upgrade hard drives and other computer gear if you want to move to a D800 and its massive files. (I have enough problems dealing with my 20-30MB 5DII files).
10-26-2012, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
5D mkii or D600 transition

Found a fantastic deal on a 5D kit.

Mki body
Battery grip
28-80 kit lens (crud I know)
PK adapter (wha?!?)
3 batteries
2 8gb CF cards
50 1.4

For under $1000. Gonna take a few extra dollars and grab the 85 1.8.

See what I think of the system. Then maybe sell the body and pickup a mkii or mkiii.

Never thought I'd own a Canon... I feel dirty.

I'm not looking for AF, I just use single point anyways. I just want to use my M lenses with a FF sensor. So this is to get me by until pentax decides to get off the pot.

Last edited by Ash; 10-28-2012 at 09:58 PM.
10-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Realizing that everyone’s situation may be different, I bought the D600 since Pentax did not release a 24mp APS-C that I was hoping for during my upgrade cycle. I can’t afford to run two systems and knew the Nikon f2.8 zooms would be costly and I could only buy them over a long period of time, so I bought a Pentax to Nikon adapter to use with my manual lenses. After some long thoughts on where I can improve my skills and make photography more enjoyable, I realized that carrying a heavy bag of zoom lenses is not fun for me. I have since taken the route that tuco has suggested. My Nikon kit now includes the D600, 20/2.8D, 50/1.8D, 85/1.8G and the Tamron 70-300/4-5.6 as a general purpose zoom. I still need to get a flash and maybe the 35/2. I feel that this kit suits me well, it was very cost effective and I really have no need for the adapter.

I only just today tested using the adapter. My first impressions are that as long as you hit focus, the pictures are good enough. Here is a link to a unscientific test comparing the Pentax A 50/1.4 to the Nikon 50/1.8D.

Flickr: scratch_69's Photostream

10-27-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Myself being an avid mountaineer and not getting any younger it is the the new Oly OMD that is capturing my interest - nothing can beat its compactness, superb lenses and IQ.

Owning a D7000 (so the K5 will be the same) - I have yet to see a MK11 file that betters anything from my D7000 for normal landscape shots - I still see the normal Canon mushiness of fine detail to be quite honest.

To my eyes Nikon lenses with the Nikon FF just seem to produce far greater acuity and sharpness than Canon FF.

Lastly after now using Nikon lenses for some time now I just cannot understand the hype over Pentax lenses - sorry
10-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I Pentland handled the 5D kit today and walked way from the deal. Canon is just not comfortable. The rear dial is a stretch for my girly hands and I don't like th front dial verticle.

Pentax did fantastic work with ergonomics thats for sure.

So I went into my local shop and asked: Help me choose between Nikon and Canon. What would best compliment my Pentax kit?

The answer was surprising...especially since I picked a retailer that only offers Pentax via special order.

What is my main kit? DA*16-50 2.8, DA*50-135 2.8, DA*55 1.4, and FA 77mm 1.8

What do I primarily shoot? People

What is your favourite lens? DA*55 1.4

She hands me a 5D mkiii with 85 1.2 and a 600D with 85 1.4

The reasoning in her not handing me the 800 way due to its resolution not doing anyone's skin any favors. Finally a shop keep not looking at the dollar signs.

All I have to say now is.. I'll be finding a way to get the D600 and 85 1.4 ASAP. What an amazing combo. Light too.
10-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

All I have to say now is.. I'll be finding a way to get the D600 and 85 1.4 ASAP. What an amazing combo. Light too.
The 85/1.4G? I picked up the 85/1.8D. Not much of a portrait curve wide open but a fraction of the price of a new G, sharp lens and much smaller. That 2/3rds of a stop really increases the size and cost of the lens.
10-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The 85/1.4G? I picked up the 85/1.8D. Not much of a portrait curve wide open but a fraction of the price of a new G, sharp lens and much smaller. That 2/3rds of a stop really increases the size and cost of the lens.

I've been debating that for sure. The 1.4 speed would b great for low light work. Thinking my road map will be 85 1.x, 28 1.x, 70-200 2.8 to start
10-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I've been debating that for sure. The 1.4 speed would b great for low light work. Thinking my road map will be 85 1.x, 28 1.x, 70-200 2.8 to start
I have other cameras and in one brand a 50/1.2 and 85/1.4. Of course you can find shots to shoot at f1.2/f1.4 but only speaking for myself all I can say is the percentage of my shots from those lenses taken at f1.2 and f1.4 is extremely small in the long run. But, again, your milage may vary.
10-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Myself being an avid mountaineer and not getting any younger it is the the new Oly OMD that is capturing my interest - nothing can beat its compactness, superb lenses and IQ.

Owning a D7000 (so the K5 will be the same) - I have yet to see a MK11 file that betters anything from my D7000 for normal landscape shots - I still see the normal Canon mushiness of fine detail to be quite honest.

To my eyes Nikon lenses with the Nikon FF just seem to produce far greater acuity and sharpness than Canon FF.

Lastly after now using Nikon lenses for some time now I just cannot understand the hype over Pentax lenses - sorry
Have to disagree here....the reason I haven't parted with my 5DII is that gives an extra bit of crispness and res that the K5 doesn't offer for landscape shots. Raising shadows, I'd take the K5 or D7000 in a heartbeat. But I've taken to using ND filters to help solve those problems and the files look awesome to me...though I find the K5 files tend to need less post processing.

I don't have any Nikon cameras or glass, but I find that I prefer the color given by good Pentax glass over the Canon L lenses I've used. The DA21 especially comes to mind here--offering color that is almost too saturated and nice contrast--though it certainly doesn't have uber sharpness going for it. I guess I'd have to say that Pentax lenses have character, for better or for worse.

Last edited by sb in ak; 10-29-2012 at 02:19 AM.
10-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is true. I use my DA*55 1.4 a lot. But usually no faster than f2. But the option to use it as wide as 1.4 is there. I don't have to sit and grumble... Man I wish I had an extra stop of light right now. Or I just wanna throw her hair out of focus and focus on those beautiful eyes...oh can't do it because I'm limited to 2.8.

Better to have the option available I think.

I played the "good enough" game with Pentax for far too long. If I'm going to invest in Nikon gear, I'm doing it right 1.4 for primes, 2.8 for zooms.
10-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There is no reason to go full-frame if you can't afford the best lenses, IMO (or at least sharp ones). So yeah, F2.8 zooms and fast primes is the right way to go.

Pentax lets you save a lot in the long run thanks to the availability of sharp vintage lenses, but there isn't much you can adapt on Nikon.

Speaking of FF, I heard that it's now fully confirmed that Pentax will be making one, and that late 2013 is going to be the target release date.

But I know many won't wait that long w/o an official announcement...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: