Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Sense in Purchasing a Sony DSLR?

I've accumulated the following Sony/Minolta lenses for about $400 total and I've been using them (with the exception of the 7mm) on my Minolta SLR to do some film work....

Vivitar Series 1 7mm 3.5 Fisheye
Vivitar Series 1 13mm 2.8
Minolta AF 50mm 1.7
Minolta AF 70-210mm 4 ("beercan")
Vivitar Series 1 85mm 1.4
and a cheap Minolta kit zoom lens or two...

I'm enjoying shooting with these on film, especially the 13mm, but after I wrap up my last film project, I probably won't need any of this stuff anymore... I'm going to miss it and I don't really want to sell it... even if I did sell it, I'd miss the 13mm and 85mm and have to pay $300-ish for each Vivitar Series 1 lens in Pentax mount, if I wanted to replace them...

So, I was thinking that *maybe* I could purchase a used, cheap Sony DSLR body (looking at something like the A100,200,350 - $200-300 range) to use these lenses and see what they're like on digital because I feel a little limited when shooting with film. Even if I'm not happy with the results I get, I'll just turn around and sell the camera and lenses, hopefully without loosing too much money. If I like it, then I'll hang on to the camera and lenses for awhile and then sell them when I'm done with them and possibly fund the Sigma 10-20 3.5 HSM for Pentax.

I do not plan on switching to Sony for my main camera or buying any additional lenses for the system.

Your guys' opinion, please?
Keep the glass and buy a cheap Sony digital body to play around with? Or just sell everything, forget about it, and possibly fund a good super wide-angle or fisheye lens in Pentax mount?

Last edited by Julie; 11-08-2012 at 09:01 PM.
11-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would say, buy a Sony NEX. Those are some great lenses, mostly Samyang MF lenses anyways. The NEX opens a lot of possibilities and it meters well.
11-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The dslrs have focus peaking too right? The only issues I've heard with the Sony dslrs are that they aren't as feature packed as some of the other equivalent cams, and they tend to have less light to the sensor thanks to the SLT. Otherwise, I'd love a sony dslr myself.. that FPS and video mode.
11-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I would say, buy a Sony NEX. Those are some great lenses, mostly Samyang MF lenses anyways. The NEX opens a lot of possibilities and it meters well.
Thanks, but I wasn't really looking into buying into a new system just a cheap used decent DSLR body; most likely just temporary (as I'm not leaving Pentax), that is capable of decent 8x10 prints.
Isn't Sony NEX a totally different system/lens mount from the Sony DSLR cameras with Sony/Minolta Alpha A mount?
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The dslrs have focus peaking too right? The only issues I've heard with the Sony dslrs are that they aren't as feature packed as some of the other equivalent cams, and they tend to have less light to the sensor thanks to the SLT. Otherwise, I'd love a sony dslr myself.. that FPS and video mode.
Not sure about the focus peaking; older bodies that I'm looking at probably don't... newer ones probably do.
I don't think I'll be needing many bells and whistles, as long as all technical functions work, I'm sure I'll be fine.

11-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #5

Correct, you would need an adapter to use Minolta AF/Sony Alpha lenses on the NEX.

All the Apha users I know love their cameras and are very happy with the results when using their older Minolta glass on them.

I'm a Minolta person myself but never upgraded to AF. In my case an NEX would make more sense to use my old manual focus Minolta lenses.
11-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

I'm a Minolta person myself but never upgraded to AF. In my case an NEX would make more sense to use my old manual focus Minolta lenses.
Ah, you just reminded me of an important point; image stabilization (which I don't think the NEX series has...?). Good thing A200 and A350 have in-body stabilization, I'm just grown accustomed to having in-body IS because of Pentax.
11-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would get an A55 or A33 from a couple of years ago. You can find them relatively cheap, they are feature packed, small and have in body stabilization.

About the SLT and the reduction of light argument. I have seen so many tests and points of view on this issue that I wouldn't factor this into a decision about an SLT. It just seems to be a favorite arguing point for those who cant find anything else to chew on. Bottom line is the A99 (the new FF model) is an SLT and compares note for note to the D600 image quality, only the Sony is way more feature laden, and a bit more expensive. I bet when DXO releases the test score of the sensor, it will be up there among the other Sony sensored Nikons of late.

Now, if they would only make an A99 with an OVF...

Jason

11-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think with an OVF, you can't have an SLT.. and that would affect that massive FPS the A99 gives.
11-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Thanks, but I wasn't really looking into buying into a new system just a cheap used decent DSLR body; most likely just temporary (as I'm not leaving Pentax), that is capable of decent 8x10 prints.
Isn't Sony NEX a totally different system/lens mount from the Sony DSLR cameras with Sony/Minolta Alpha A mount?

Not sure about the focus peaking; older bodies that I'm looking at probably don't... newer ones probably do.
I don't think I'll be needing many bells and whistles, as long as all technical functions work, I'm sure I'll be fine.
Yes, it is a different mount, but it is a near universal mount. I use my alpha, CanonFD, ContaxG, C, Pentax, M42 and Konica AR lenses on it. I didn't buy a NEX system lens for a few months after getting my 5N. You certainly do lose stabilization, but it can act as a backup cam for any system.
11-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife shoots a Sony A300 - and while I don't like the buttons & menu layout, it seems to be a decent camera. Other than her 2 kit lenses, she uses a Minolta AF 50/1.7 which works very well. It does have in-body stabilization, and the build quality seems good. It has the same Sony 10 mp sensor as the K10D, so it's output is similar. I don't like the small viewfinder - it seems smaller than the one on my K100D, and is like looking thru a keyhole! It does have live-view & a tiltable rear lcd, which is nice. They can be had pretty cheaply on the used market, so it might be a decent choice as an economical vehicle for your Minolta lenses.