Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I've been reorganizing my cameras and chose to include a 5D.

Pen Mini + O45 = 470
K-01 + 40mm = 460
5D + EF 50/1.4 = 800

Each system cost about the same as a good lens used to cost. Each system has a purpose and I'll pick the tool for the job. I can get the FF look, the Sony APS-C sensitivity/DR, and the ease/size of the sweet Olympus. All 3 systems combined costs about the same as a used D700. I'm not expecting miracles, but I also don't have excuses.
Unusual logic.

90, 60 and 50mm FOVs. Plus 3 bodies, 3 memory cards and 3 connections/disconnections from computers.

But you save on changing lenses.

I'm not dissing your thoughts; anything unusual is thought-provoking.

11-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #17
Site Supporter

I'm not terribly concerned with the FOV, except to say that I don't like wide too much. I have plenty of room in my cabinet for bodies, maybe if I was constrained for space I might have to pick a single system. My concerns are mostly related to size/weight. I don't like to carry stuff and I've got young kids. I often choose based on bringing the smallest camera I can use to do the job.

5D + 50/1.4 gets a different look altogether than my other systems. It is good up to max iso, 3200, and at 3200 with ƒ/1.4 I can operate well in very low light.
The K-01 is for general use when IQ is important. I like Pentax (which is more than I can say about Canon).
The Pen Mini is small, for the times that being small is important. I love Olympus, bless their bankrupt heart.

As an aside, under good light they are all very similar. I set up good lighting for a studio type shoot and the Pen Mini made the best looking pictures.

Also, I like to experiment with different systems/lenses/stuff. I learn all sorts of great things by noodling.