Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Any reason to consider an original Canon 5D when I have a K5?

Hi guys,

I've had my K5 for about a year now and love it(after having a K10 and many lenses for years). I have some extra money was looking at picking up an FA31mm.

However, I noticed I could get an old Canon EOS 5D (the first one) for equal/less than a FA31mm.

How does this camera hold up nowadays? Especially against a K5? Is an old full frame worth it?

11-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It depends on what tools you believe your long-term photography will require. If you plan on doing the kind of shooting for which Canon provides an advantage-such as sports, architecture, wildlife--then a 5D will be a cheaper entryway for using the not inexpensive lenses you gotta have.
If your current and planned photography is satisfied by your current Pentax equipment then don't set yourself up for a new line of credit.

M
11-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Miguel is right...what do you think you want to shoot? Long term?

My two cents....owning the K5, 5DII and 20D (the "little brother" to the 5D classic)
Personally, I think that the K5 is a more capable camera unless you really need the thinner depth of field & larger viewfinder. If you have a stash of old EF glass it might be worth it (or if you want to start investing in EF glass). I'd have a hard time investing in the 5D classic as it's getting a little long in the tooth, is very susceptible to dust, lacks a big LCD (OK, to be fair you don't really need that, but it sure is nice). It's almost worth upgrading to the 5DII just because it's self cleaning abilities work so well. This means less time cleaning and less time cloning dust spots out. Plus, the 5DII has been falling nicely in price lately too. I suspect it's pretty cheap under the Canon Loyalty Program now (roughly a 20% discount on Refurb prices).
11-10-2012, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
axl
Veteran Member

If you want the 5D to replace your Pentax stuff then no, if you want it to supplement it then big yes.
Technically speaking, K-5 is superior camera in just about every respect. It has SR in body, body is WR, it has better buid, it records video, it has better sensor (smaller, with bigger density of sensels, more resolution, better DR, comparable noise) and it's smaller and lighter. On the other side, the 5D is one of those things that many here would describe as "sprinkled by pixie dust". It has a lot weaker AA filter and displays fantastic detail on pixel level, despite it's age the sensor still compares well and many describe it's outbut at any ISO as one of the nicest in EOS land (something like K10D in Pentax IMO). Also, despite having only one cross AF sensor, when using that one and USM lens I'd bet the AF speed would trump K-5. So, if you want the advantages of FF sensor and you want to run it alongside your K mount system, 5D is a good choice. If, however, you'd want to replace your K mount system for FF, there are better, although more expensive) choices out there.

My 2p

11-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Another thing I forgot to mention was the fairly common issue with the 5D where the mirror would fall out. If you shop for one, you might check to see if the owner had the mirror reinforcement done. This is actually something that Canon would preemptively fix for free, and I believe they still do if you send it to them. I wouldn't let it dissuade you; just an FYI.
11-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a 5D and I've used the K5 for 2yrs.

The K5 is superior in every way except shallower DOF type shots.
Interface, the 5D is clunky and not well thought out imo. (no auto iso; 2ev bracketing only; no 3s timer; lousy info "at a glance" in both LCD and viewfinder; antiquated AF)
Larger viewfinder, yes, but I MF without issues on the K5.
As a system, Canon is larger and heavier.
The 5d isn't that heavy by itself, but it is with some of the lenses. (though the cheapy f1.8 plastic fantastics are 'weightless')

The nice thing about FF is how the fast 50mm, 'transforms' into a very versatile lens that gives shallow DOF type shots be it portrait (head, half body, full body).
Very nice for environmental portraits with a shallow DOF if you are into this sort of shots.
The 85mm also transforms to a very usable FL indoors.
Once you stop down (eg. landscapes; macros; or for more DOF)the FF advantage is taken away, the K5 is far better. (ISO; usability; megapix for large printing or cropping; fine grain; DR; AF, etc)

My advice is that if you crave the 'shallow DOF look', try one.
It won't replace the K5 if you are thinking in that direction.
12mp is pretty fine imho, and the 5d is still an able (though antiquated) camera (and so are film cameras )

my few cents.
(BTW, I only use MF M42 lenses on the 5D; don't believe in investing in the Canon system)
11-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I wouldn't bother using the 5D unless your shooting in decent light and NEED that super shallow DoF work.. if not there is nothing that the K-5 can't handle much better than the 5D.. it's all about what glass you throw in front of it.

11-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I've been reorganizing my cameras and chose to include a 5D.

Pen Mini + O45 = 470
K-01 + 40mm = 460
5D + EF 50/1.4 = 800

Each system cost about the same as a good lens used to cost. Each system has a purpose and I'll pick the tool for the job. I can get the FF look, the Sony APS-C sensitivity/DR, and the ease/size of the sweet Olympus. All 3 systems combined costs about the same as a used D700. I'm not expecting miracles, but I also don't have excuses.
11-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle Quote
Hi guys,

I've had my K5 for about a year now and love it(after having a K10 and many lenses for years). I have some extra money was looking at picking up an FA31mm.

However, I noticed I could get an old Canon EOS 5D (the first one) for equal/less than a FA31mm.

How does this camera hold up nowadays? Especially against a K5? Is an old full frame worth it?
Tough question! K5 + FA31 is a really really really fine system. 5D Classic & EF 1.4/50 will gain a little less dof at the wide end.

I think depends on where you want to go from here. Sounds like you'd like to experiment; in that case by all means get a 5D! Full frame is really really really nice; 5D classic is a still very nice camera capable of most excellent results. Also sounds like you have invested in crop K5 system; might be worth sticking with that system & getting FA31 for an upgrade. But 5D can be re-sold...

I use many manual focus lenses on 5D, mostly M42 & Nikon mount. I am well pleased to have made the switch to full frame camera; no regrets moving away from crop.
11-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys.

Definitely don't wanna replace my Pentax stuff. As someone put it, it would be to experiment with.

I bought the FA31mm from my local camera store. However, the same camera store had a used 5D for $475. So I might pick it up in a few months if it is still there haha (though by then, there might be some details on a FF Pentax )
11-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would rather grab the FA31 or FA43 (loved my FA43 on the K-5 before the ex took it!) After you play with the 5D, you would go back to using your K-5 in no time.. Canon's menu system is convoluted and seems to be designed by a retarded eclectic crazy types.. so non-inuitive! myself I would be hard pressed to grab the amazing FA31.. when you could get a DA15Ltd and a DA40 or maybe an FA43 Ltd for the same price.
11-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original 5D is a really good camera, even today. I disagree with some one above who posted that k5 is superior in every way except shallower DOF.

5D viewfinder is much bigger, low light image quality is cleaner (even if it goes upto 3200 only, you can push it higher), center point focus accuracy is much better, the color rendition is very unique and natural (i find the colors better than 5D2). 5D is still a great camera.

cheers,

Abhi
11-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Tough question! K5 + FA31 is a really really really fine system. 5D Classic & EF 1.4/50 will gain a little less dof at the wide end.
K-5 + 31 shooting wide open will have nearly the same DOF as 5D with 40/2.8 STM. 50/1.4 on 5D will beat 31 on APSC by nearly 2 full stops of DOF which is hardly "gain a little less dof"
11-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
[...]50/1.4 on 5D will beat 31 on APSC by nearly 2 full stops of DOF which is hardly "gain a little less dof"
Okay, so 2 stops in narrower dof is gaining a lot less dof range. happy now?
11-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

But the FA 31mm renders nicer