Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon for a first time SLR user?

ok, a friend of mine is looking to buy his partner a digital SLR for christmas, she's never had an SLR, or used one extensively.

He said though that she enjoys her photography and up to now has been using P&S and Superzoom cameras, but is wanting to learn more (hence, SLR)

Anyway, he's thinking of a Nikon for her and asked for my advice. I gave some general advice but said I don;t know too many specifics of Nikon or their models.

What's the rough range of Nikons out there at the moment? what would be a good choice for a first time user? (must have auto modes, but I also recommended one that has manual modes too to learn with)

I would have recommended Pentax to him, but to be honest, since she's a first time user she'll want to be able to just walk into any camera store and look/buy accessories for it.
Unfortunately, Pentax just doesn't provide that.

12-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You want Pentax to continue making cameras for you right?
Then just recommend a K30.

Its not like you are decieving them anyway with a Pentax recommendation.
K30 is as good as it gets right now for a DSLR at that price point.

To me, Nikon is bad for the low end stuff. (no on camera motor; less features). They get good from D7K onwards.
Canon while poorer in build, at least has a more consistent lens lineup since there is no on-lens/on-camera motor confusion. Poorer sensor though.
So in the end, its honestly the K30 thats the best deal for 'entry dslrs'
12-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO, you would want to give your friend sound advise so that the friendship does not sustain any damage if you suggest something they don't like. To that end I do think that Nikon makes excellent offerings that will suit your friend's partner probably even better than Pentax. However what really may make it or break it is personal preferences. So I think it would be a good idea to let that person go to the nearby camera shop and actually try to hold, look into viewfinder, make few (even dummy) shots to see that she feels good with the way it handles, the way viewfinder shows the picture and the way the whole experience goes. Then she could make her choice. Obviously if it has to be a surprise, someone else would have to do it - probably your friend.

I would suggest that you don't quite listen to the arguments that Pentax should continue making cameras. Rather - your friends should be making pictures and if one day they would knowingly buy into Pentax - you will have done great service both to your friend and to your brand of choice.
12-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote

I would have recommended Pentax to him, but to be honest, since she's a first time user she'll want to be able to just walk into any camera store and look/buy accessories for it.
I know what you mean here; it's one of the many reasons I've recently bought a D800. The main entry level cameras Nikon are doing now are the 3200 and the 5100. This video might help a bit. If it's any help, I'm planning on getting a 5100 shortly to use as a backup body as it just seems to be a better body.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/06/21/nikon-d3200-vs-d5100-how-do-they-compare/

This might help as well. http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/body/chart/current_nikon_dslr_chart.html

12-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteQuote:
The Nikon D5200 is an upper entry-level DSLR that improves on the D5100 by offering a 24MP CMOS sensor, 1080i60 movie capability, a side-articulated 921K dot 3.0" tilt/swivel LCD and new processing filters. Interestingly, the D5200 is equipped with a significantly upgraded AF system, based around the same Multi-Cam 4800DX AF sensor that is used in the D7000, and the same 2016-pixel RGB metering sensor. The D5200 is also compatible with Nikon's optional WU-1a WiFi module.
Nikon D5200: Digital Photography Review

Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon D5200

12-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

D5100 is a fantastic bargain right now. D90 is also great, particularly if you want to use manual focus lenses.
12-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
D5100 is a fantastic bargain right now. D90 is also great, particularly if you want to use manual focus lenses.
A co-worker with a D70 was thinking about a 3100 or 3200, and wanted AF video. I suggested the 5100 which was on sale for about $550 and has the rotating LCD (that I want) and that's what he bought. I'm not sure it ever will get off auto, though.

I just hope he does not get the totally black images that 22 reviewers complained of

12-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
ok, a friend of mine is looking to buy his partner a digital SLR for christmas, she's never had an SLR, or used one extensively.

He said though that she enjoys her photography and up to now has been using P&S and Superzoom cameras, but is wanting to learn more (hence, SLR)

Anyway, he's thinking of a Nikon for her and asked for my advice. I gave some general advice but said I don;t know too many specifics of Nikon or their models.

What's the rough range of Nikons out there at the moment? what would be a good choice for a first time user? (must have auto modes, but I also recommended one that has manual modes too to learn with)

Basically Nikon has three consumer DSLR lines: the intro-level D3000 series (current camera is the D3200), the mid-range D5000 series (current camera is the D5200, to be released in January), and the advanced D7000.

For a beginner, I would say go for the D3100 (Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm NIKKOR VR Lens 25472) as it's cheap but still does everything that most people will need. The D3200 has more megapixels but that's about it, while the D5100 is nice because it has a tilting screen and better AF. Because it's about to be replaced by the D5200, there are lots of great deals on the 5100 it right now, so maybe that's what you should go for

So IMO it boils down to the D3100 or the D5100, depending on how much you're willing to spend. The former is around $480 while the latter is about $550, and both come with the kit lens. Go play with both of them in Target or wherever

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Does she know how to buy things online? You can buy online anything for Pentax from reputable dealers.
I do not really understand why we recommend only Nikon just because this is what you can find in high street shops.
Are we in the 1950s?
12-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ferdinand Quote
Does she know how to buy things online? You can buy online anything for Pentax from reputable dealers. I do not really understand why we recommend only Nikon just because this is what you can find in high street shops.
Trying before buying goes a long way...also, Pentax has no intro-level body at the moment

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Around 600 USD for the K-30 sounds like intro price. That friend probably does not think about pentax because he has not heard of it.
12-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ferdinand Quote
Does she know how to buy things online? You can buy online anything for Pentax from reputable dealers.
I do not really understand why we recommend only Nikon just because this is what you can find in high street shops.
Are we in the 1950s?
Because most of those lingering here have worn the Rings of Power and have been corrupted beyond redemption.
12-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It's one thing buying a dslr online but you don't rely on support online - I finally went to Nikon because of its fantastic backup support in my country -Pentax has nothing.

My 17 yr old (new to the dslr game) bought a 5100 and yes it's build is inferior to my D7000 but heck that's that's the only real difference - it churns out IQ and focus accuracy easily equal(sometimes I think better) than my dslr.

I also feel that it does slightly better at the upper 3200 ISO levels.

It also has a great learning mode and the articulating screen definitely comes in handy and it's nice and light too.

My son decided on it over an equivalent Canon as he felt the Nikon was better constructed.

The kit lenses are nothing to be sneezed at in the IQ dept (besides a nervous bokeh) - they provide exceptional contrast and sharpness.

Below are 3 newbie shots taken by him in auto jpeg with the 18-55 kit lens

Better than any p&s