Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 02:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Fastest AF mirrorless camera

Faster FPS mirrorless camera

In a lot of ways, my V1 is a better outdoor sports shooter than my K-5. Faster AF, more FPS, bigger buffer.

The Nikon V1 is perfect for soccer moms and dads

Andy Roddick at 30FPS (Nikon 1 v1)
And I just got an email for the V1 at $259 shipped with the 10-30 zoom.

12-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
And I just got an email for the V1 at $259 shipped with the 10-30 zoom.
IMO at this price it's a no-brainer for those who want to invest in this system.
12-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
IMO at this price it's a no-brainer for those who want to invest in this system.
I agree. The AF speed and IQ are great/good and the camera has been described elsewhere as a soccer mom's dream because of that combination.
12-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Have you ever shot with a Nikon 1 series camera? What kind of photos do you take? Where did you find the camera lacking? Do you have any examples to share?
Yes, I have handled one and overall did not like it. No, I don't examples to share since I didn't buy one. I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours, I just don't care for it, its ergonomics, its tiny sensor and its limitations for my style of shooting. If it works for you, then more power to you.

Jason

12-22-2012, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Yes, I have handled one and overall did not like it. No, I don't examples to share since I didn't buy one. I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours, I just don't care for it, its ergonomics, its tiny sensor and its limitations for my style of shooting. If it works for you, then more power to you.

Jason
Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. But your prior opinions had no value beyond being flippant and dismissive. This response is much more meaningful.

I'm struggling with the ergos myself. Image quality is good enough for magazine work - I'll rig it to the motorcycle for some shots and the compact 30-110 (approx 80-300eq) is always nice to bring along for compression effects. It's not my daily shooter, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 1" sensor format grows though, as Sony's showing what's capable.
12-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Christine, I ask this as a guy who owns three DSLRs, an OM-D, and a RX100... but how many cameras does a girl really need?
12-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Christine, I ask this as a guy who owns three DSLRs, an OM-D, and a RX100... but how many cameras does a girl really need?
That's an "n + 1" answer (the number of cameras you need is the current number that you own, plus 1)

But seriously, each camera has it's own set of use cases.

Looking back on this year, I have taken nearly 50,000 images on all my cameras. The bulk of them have been on the NEX, but I also have loved the compacts (ZS-20 and RX100).

The Nikon 1 is unique for it's smallish size and the incredible AF and burst modes, which makes it a go to camera for action shooting. Also the twin lens kit covers a wide FOV range, so it's great for travel. My partner took it with us when we travelled to Germany this year. It's a very easy camera to use for an amateur - takes great photos.

The camera that I have used the least is my K-5. I don't think I will ever use it again (or any other DSLR - I can't imagine why anyone would own 3!) - so in the New Year I will probably give it to my brother. Last time I checked, he is still using my *ist D - so it's about time he got an upgrade :-)

12-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oops just realised the 50000 is an overstatement - I was counting the number of photos in my Lightroom catalogs - but I realised the Sony catalog includes shots taken in late 2011. I think 40000 is probably a more realistic number in terms of shots taken - about 10000 per quarter seems to be my rate for the last 1-2 years.
12-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Fair enough.

As to why you'd want to still shoot with DSLRs: OVF, handling, sports AF, full-frame sensor, among others.

Different strokes.
12-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you know that your V1 is in focus, when everything is in focus all the time, anyway?
12-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
As to why you'd want to still shoot with DSLRs: OVF, handling, sports AF, full-frame sensor, among others.
OVF - negative for me, due to my right eye not being able to focus properly anymore
Handling - also negative, due to the bulk and weight
sports AF - I think the Nikon 1 will beat almost all DSLRs, and I have shot with the Canon 1D Mk IV - V2 has impressive specs - pretty much state of the art ...
full frame sensor - I was using the Leica M9 for a little bit last year, so a DSLR is not the only option for FF. I ended up not liking the M9 (again - focusing problem with my right eye) - FF NEX is coming next year ...
12-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
How do you know that your V1 is in focus, when everything is in focus all the time, anyway?
Have you had your eyes checked recently?
12-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Three comments from a J1 shooter:

1.) Right out of the box, the factory default ISO setting on my J1 was A3200 Auto (100-3200) with the typical result for my shots being 3200, for whatever reason. Once I changed it to ISO 400 or less I felt the image quality of my shots improved vastly. Also, I typically use the Program setting instead of the Scene Auto Selector option with the result being for me more controlled settings from the camera.

2.) Shooting my FX primes on my J1 + FT-1 adapter gives a very real feel for DOF focusing range which is similar to that of my old film SLRs. The MF focus peeping feature then takes the process to another level when using a tripod. If anything, using the screen for manually focusing a fast prime lens is a welcome experience for me after the 25 years since I last shot any format larger than 35mm film. If you think of the screen as a small ground glass and avoid direct overhead light or sunlight the J1 becomes an excellent small view camera. For that matter, even with the slow 10-30 kit zoom a subject pops into focus nicely with OOF areas being visibly out of focus.

3.) I'd argue that the image quality from shooting my 20mm to 105mm AF-D prime lenses on my J1 is every bit as good as that from shooting them on my DX DSLR, albeit with vastly different FOV results of course. I'm very pleased and enjoy shooting the J1 as an alternative to my much bigger DSLR.
12-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Funny, I can often get more OOF with the Q and the 8.5mm F1.9 than the V1 with either the 10mm F2.8 prime or the 10-30mm zoom due to issues of focal length, minimum focusing distance, and aperture. OOF with the V1 is possible, but you've got to work those variables carefully:

I'm curious about the new Nikkor 18.5mm F1.8 (50mm EQ) for the DOF/OOF possibilities.
12-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Funny, I can often get more OOF with the Q and the 8.5mm F1.9 than the V1 with either the 10mm F2.8 prime or the 10-30mm zoom due to issues of focal length,
The lens design can affect DOF, which is not something that DOF calculators take into account. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover I can get a lot of pleasing bokeh with my ZS-20 compact

I remember when the Q was announced there was a lot of criticism that the Q would not have a lot of bokeh. When I pointed out that according to my calculations the 8.5mm f1.9 may provide the 35mm equivalent of f8, some people thought that wasn't enough. f8 under the right conditions can give excellent bokeh - all depends on the focal length, focus distance, and skill of the photographer. One of the biggest mistakes amateurs make when they buy a fast lens is to over-use wide apertures - often a photo looks better with more pleasing bokeh at f4 or f5.6 than at f2.8.

For example, this would be the 35mm equiv of f8 (it's actually shot in APS-C at f5.6 at focal length of around 100mm):

Last edited by Christine Tham; 12-24-2012 at 12:57 PM.