Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus OMD EM5, Aesthetics.

So I was in JB Hifi the other day and they had this Olympus OMD EM5 on display.
I'm not going to make any comment on it'd ability *as* a camera (although they seem to be making a big deal about this 'worlds fastest auto focus' business) but is it a stunning looking little thing.
I have a big thing for aesthetics, especially retro modern tech (the same reason I love the the Fuji X100). But this thing looks like its right out of the 70s/80s. It harks back to my Mothers old Praktica that is on display in my lounge room (of which I now use its glorious 50mm )

Last edited by Ash; 12-31-2012 at 07:18 AM.
12-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I haven't had the chance to hold one but I agree...it's a stunning piece of equipment!
01-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks good on display and feels decent in the hands but the rubber buttons (playback etc) just feel awful. Also I seriously dislike their implementation of the EVF, it as over contrasty, over saturated and simply looks harsh at best. Its a shame because it feels good besides that.l
01-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
I reviewed the E-M5 here. The buttons are interesting because they protrude from the camera body and have angled tips that make them easy to recognize by touch. I like the EVF too - my main use for it is to help me manually focus and judge the exposure and it works perfectly for that. I didn't particularly like the small size at first, but after carrying it around, I started appreciating its compactness and how people didn't seem to notice it that much. It's a well built camera - I even managed to drop it on concrete and it just got a few scratches.

It's a very different camera from a DSLR though and if you never used a MILC, it might take you some time to "get it". But it's well worth looking into it. I used to think that tilting LCDs and touchscreens are a gimmick, but check how you can select focus points by touch or simply trigger the shutter by touch rather than using a remote and you'll figure out that these are very useful features. The LCD tilting mechanism is also very solid, unlike any other I have used in the past.

Overall, after three months of regular use, I cannot find any faults that I would look for to be corrected in a future model.

01-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The E-M5 really looks great, wish Pentax makes the K-02 to be similar in styling, as in looking more like a film SLR body.
01-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I noticed this morning the DP Review named it their camera of the year. I have yet to see one other than pictures.
01-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I reviewed the E-M5 here. The buttons are interesting because they protrude from the camera body and have angled tips that make them easy to recognize by touch. I like the EVF too - my main use for it is to help me manually focus and judge the exposure and it works perfectly for that. I didn't particularly like the small size at first, but after carrying it around, I started appreciating its compactness and how people didn't seem to notice it that much. It's a well built camera - I even managed to drop it on concrete and it just got a few scratches.
The problem with the rubber buttons is that they got nearly zero tactile feedback so even if you feel them you don't get enough physical feedback when using them. The EVF makes both me and my brother's eyes hurt and I almost get seasick, like I'm wearing some kind of bad virtual reality gear. I really want to see past these things but every time i try that camera I reminded of why I don't want it.

01-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I love the way it looks as well ... hope Pentax will bring something similar (looks) in the future
01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I love the way it looks as well ... hope Pentax will bring something similar (looks) in the future
Digital K1000?
01-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Digital K1000?
I'd buy that if done properly ... and designed by a true camera designer .
01-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
The problem with the rubber buttons is that they got nearly zero tactile feedback so even if you feel them you don't get enough physical feedback when using them. The EVF makes both me and my brother's eyes hurt and I almost get seasick, like I'm wearing some kind of bad virtual reality gear. I really want to see past these things but every time i try that camera I reminded of why I don't want it.
Indeed, the EVF's image, while usable, is quite poor. Epson demonstrated a new EVF at Photokina, and one could compare it directly with the OM-D's - the difference was substantial, while I would still prefer a high quality OVF the "bad VR gear" feeling was corrected.
Maybe in OM-D MkII?
01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter

The OMD uses Epson's best EVF. Maybe Epson demonstrated something different, but I wouldn't think so.
Olympus OM-D Boasts Epson Viewfinder | PhotographyBLOG

The OMD also has various EVF options in the super control panel, including options to improve appearance and options to improve framerate. I generally preferred the high framerate option, which may be how the Epson demo was configured.
01-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The OM-D used the best Epson EVF available, at the time it was launched. The next Epson EVF is much better IMHO - I saw it with my own eyes, at Photokina; a Japanese gentleman was happy and proud to show their last work to me (actually invited me to see, as I was passing by).
01-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Doesn't do a thing for me, way too plastic looking for retro in a good way, shug. I really like my little Olympus Pen E-PL1 but honestly I don't like a lot of the designs on their stuff otherwise. Even the later versions of my Pens are not really to my taste. I would not actually get a descendant of my camera. The E-PL1 is pretty cute, but the later models IMHO are just not as...
01-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I noticed this morning the DP Review named it their camera of the year. I have yet to see one other than pictures.
No they didn't. The DP Review users voted it their favourite release of 2012. Subtle but significant difference.