Speed Booster?

600 bucks...

Jason
Alpa mount, not Alpha.

01-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Comparison: APS-C with Speed Booster VS Full Frame | Fuji Rumors

Since I shoot with primes 100% of the time I like the idea behind the product. I just hope it performs as advertised. 3 lenses and this adapter would give you the equivalent of 6 lenses. The Fuji X system is looking better an better......
01-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Yeah, but in the same way that an tele-converter degrades IQ this would improve IQ if their statements are true.
A teleconverter does not degrade IQ because it is a teleconverter, but because it adds a number of glass elements behind the lens that were not part of the original design. The same way front converters (both tele and wide) and filters will degrade IQ.

If a reverse teleconverter was able to improve IQ, then I am sure that many lenses would have been designed as telephotos with a build-in converter.

It would be interesting to see the differences when some real tests are published.

01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
Pentaxian

First test of a prototype by EOSHD:

Prototype Metabones Speed Booster equipped NEX 7 *VS* full frame 5D Mark III – 1st comparison shots | EOSHD.com

Bodies: NEX-7 + Speed Booster vs EOS 5D Mk III.

Lenses used: Sigma 24mm f/1.8 - Samyang 35mm f/1.4 - Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake.

Tester's comment: "This is a groundbreaking product for photographers and cinematographers alike."
01-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
A teleconverter does not degrade IQ because it is a teleconverter, but because it adds a number of glass elements behind the lens that were not part of the original design. The same way front converters (both tele and wide) and filters will degrade IQ.

If a reverse teleconverter was able to improve IQ, then I am sure that many lenses would have been designed as telephotos with a build-in converter.

It would be interesting to see the differences when some real tests are published.
A TC magnifies an image and makes flaws more pronounced just like enlarging a print. There is a lot more to it than simple glass elements causing degradation.
First tests are already being posted.
Prototype Metabones Speed Booster equipped NEX 7 *VS* full frame 5D Mark III – 1st comparison shots | EOSHD.com

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9467/aps-c-and-super-35mm-just-went-full-frame-...-speed-booster
01-15-2013, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

...Another Mirrorless advantage.
Hopefully Pentax is paying attention.

01-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
...Another Mirrorless advantage.
Hopefully Pentax is paying attention.
Seeing the current state of their flash system, sensor formats, lens lineup, 3rd party support, tethering, etc... I'd say good luck with that! LOL! I agree, lets hope Ricoh is able to whip some new survival-spirit into Pentax.
01-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #24
HSV
Veteran Member

Interesting implementation, sounds very promising!

Just curious...is the reduced flange distance a requirement for this to work? What are the effects on depth of field (asumming an equal framing)?

What would be the benefits of a real FF vs a "boosted" APS-C?

I think that signal to noise ratio would be one benefit of the FF (because of larger photosites).

Since this thing has AF (for EF lenses) and it doubles the light, in theory this should improve AF accuracy.
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
Interesting implementation, sounds very promising!

Just curious...is the reduced flange distance a requirement for this to work? What are the effects on depth of field (asumming an equal framing)?

What would be the benefits of a real FF vs a "boosted" APS-C?

I think that signal to noise ratio would be one benefit of the FF (because of larger photosites).

Since this thing has AF (for EF lenses) and it doubles the light, in theory this should improve AF accuracy.
Yes. You would need a mirrorless body for "most" of these adapters to work or the lenses wont focus properly.

We will have to see how this effects the gap between the two sensor sizes. I have said for a long time that APS-C can match FF performance if you have faster sharper glass (sharper at larger apertures), but this makes APS-C lenses more expensive than FF lenses. This adapter wont be cheap, but it can be used on multiple lenses.

The photosites on the 36MP D800 are the same size as the photosites on the 16MP K-5. You have to enlarge the K-5 image 2x as much to match the output of the D800 so even if noise is equal the K-5 will look noisier (especially on a back illuminated monitor) than the D800.
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
(UPDATED) Metabones Speed Booster adapter will be made for OM lenses too! | 43 Rumors
01-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Comparison: APS-C with Speed Booster VS Full Frame | Fuji Rumors

Since I shoot with primes 100% of the time I like the idea behind the product. I just hope it performs as advertised. 3 lenses and this adapter would give you the equivalent of 6 lenses. The Fuji X system is looking better an better......
Huh?

Unless the Fuji mirrorless camera lenses produce a FF image circle, it is utterly useless for that "range" of (2, basically the same, right?) cameras.

I do like the product, but acclaiming it as a Fuji-booster is waaay off the mark. Stating it politely.
01-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Huh?

Unless the Fuji mirrorless camera lenses produce a FF image circle, it is utterly useless for that "range" of (2, basically the same, right?) cameras.

I do like the product, but acclaiming it as a Fuji-booster is waaay off the mark. Stating it politely.
It make the Fuji system look better to me because I have some older Olympus, Contax, Canon FD glass that I could use on the Fuji body. It has nothing to do with Fuji lenses. The adapter allows you to use FF glass on an APS-C body (which the Fuji is) and get better results. It seems way off the mark because you don't know where the mark is..... stating it politely....
01-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #29
Forum Member

I'm assuming from a quick read that there is no chance of this ever being an adapter I could use on my K5 with Pentax lens

Trevor
01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by climbertrev Quote
I'm assuming from a quick read that there is no chance of this ever being an adapter I could use on my K5 with Pentax lens

Trevor
no you cannot

but it would be amazing to have k-01 with this adapter build-in from factory in the space of mirror box (where k-01 has wasted space) and evf, I would but it immediately even knowing that you cannot use most DA lenses...