Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Who buys old 35mm Leicas?

... I was just curious, because I spotted one on eBay, a "IIIF" which has gone over $7000. M3's, which is what I searched next, are selling for $500 & up. So I wondered who's buying these? I know Leicas' reputation. So are they collectors, for display, or are there actually film-lovers out there still using them...? Anyone know?
(Edit: no, this is not a buy & sell thread. I'm just curious why they're in such demand.)

01-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There are a lot of people still shooting film with rangefinders.
01-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
... I was just curious, because I spotted one on eBay, a "IIIF" which has gone over $7000. M3's, which is what I searched next, are selling for $500 & up. So I wondered who's buying these? I know Leicas' reputation. So are they collectors, for display, or are there actually film-lovers out there still using them...? Anyone know?
(Edit: no, this is not a buy & sell thread. I'm just curious why they're in such demand.)
You do realize they are "Leica", right? they hold their value
01-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
You do realize they are "Leica", right? they hold their value
like us, some people like old things, and Leica things arent cheap

Many people like rangefinder as it is small, compact, quite discrete.

01-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Banned

For 35mm based camera bodies and lens' nothing gets better than a Leica; it's been that way for decades - and will continue for many more decades. The same hlds true for any 35mm based Leica and also a majority of their digital cameras. Simply look at the Leica mirrorless; sells for over 2k and is rated as the best mirrorless camera ever produced - nothing even comes close. The same can be said for their entire M line.

And it's not just limited to the sensors on the cameras, but the incredible quality of the cameras. Most of them sound like a version of a swiss watch, but better. The optics are literally unmatched for any cameras with those size sensors. As a matter of fact the optics well excess any of the cameras they are attached to.

And while not the majority in any particular field, not any cmaera out there in mass production holds it's value like a Leica camera body or lens. It almost like a mechanic having a Snap-On tool box. That tool box might go for well in excess of 1ok empty, but guess what - five years (or much, much more) down the road it will also sell for exactly that amount.
01-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A friend of mine at school worked for years on his Saturday jobs and so on to buy an M3. I wondered at the time why he'd bothered, but then I guess that 20 years later he could get his money back at least, so it will have cost him nothing to own.

I do wonder how the values of old bodies will hold up when you can't get film any more though.
01-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
like us, some people like old things, and Leica things arent cheap

Many people like rangefinder as it is small, compact, quite discrete.
Not only that, but Leica camera do hold their value.... you are most likely sell more than when you buy it. Well, will see if the current digital leica will hold their value like the film leica.

Honestly, I do want to try a film Leica as well.... but then I don't know if I have the money to buy any lenses..

01-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Some old cars cost more than new cars. People collect older machines.