Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Banned

Sony Full Frame mirrorless prototypes still being tested, coming in mid 2014

QuoteQuote:
Short update about the Sony Full Frame Mirrorless development. I had some chat with sources and they all do confirm that the final decision about the specs hasn’t been taken. The main challenge is to understand how big the market for such a camera could be and what features are requested to make a breakthrough. I have been told there are some prototypes being tested now and they have some very new tech not seen in any of the current NEX or SLT yet. Most of the source believe Sony is going to use an updated 24 FF megapixel sensor. Updated means that it has faster Phase Detection AF (thanks to new Phase Detection Pixels) and an increased dynamic range.

Sony now scheduled the release on market for mid 2014 while announcement should be made in very early 2014. Zeiss is definitely on board and as I told you weeks ago they will make three primes for June 2014. I will let you know when Sony decided the final camera details. So stay tuned!
The Full Frame mirrorless prototypes still being tested. Camera on market in mid 2014. | sonyalpharumors

02-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, I am looking forward to this. It kept me from buying a NEX 6, the 50 and the 35mm and selling some of my legacy glass. From your signature it looks like you already have a full frame NEX though. How do you like the Sony NEX-VG900?
02-14-2013, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yes, I am looking forward to this. It kept me from buying a NEX 6, the 50 and the 35mm and selling some of my legacy glass. From your signature it looks like you already have a full frame NEX though. How do you like the Sony NEX-VG900?
The NEX-VG900 is the most fun camera I ever used since it will work with any K-mount or Pentax 67 lens I have using low cost adapters. Here is a short clip I shot today using my 50mm F1.4 FA . The Original .MTS file (1920x1080 / 118MB) file is available for download for the next week on the Vimeo version.

02-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The NEX-VG900 is the most fun camera I ever used since it will work with any K-mount or Pentax 67 lens I have using low cost adapters. Here is a short clip I shot today using my 50mm F1.4 FA . The Original .MTS file (1920x1080 / 118MB) file is available for download for the next week on the Vimeo version.

Jules watching TV and Joey watching youtube videos on the Verizon Droid DNA - YouTube
Thanks for sharing. Your kids look to be about the same age gap as mine, though mine are a bit younger. If I were a serious video guy, and maybe I should be, I'd have bought this camera for sure. I tried to convince my friend to get one, but he ended up with two 5d mark IIs. Though for being the "video guy" among us, he's mostly been shooting stills lately.

Last edited by kenafein; 02-15-2013 at 10:01 AM.
02-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Banned

Chances are that a Sony mirrorless full frame will be available between November of this year and the first week of February.
02-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Chances are that a Sony mirrorless full frame will be available between November of this year and the first week of February.
I just hope it ends up working for Contax G and M mount.
02-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have used M series 50, 100, and 135mm lenses with my Nex 5n. Focus peaking works very well and with aperture rings on these lenses, its easy to shoot with lenses like these in the S mode.

At least for my Nex adapter, using manual lenses without an aperture ring would not appear to very ideal to me. Although one could do it, at least my adapter would not permit one to have any idea of the aperture being used. Unless i'm missing something - which is likely

02-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Where are you getting that info? Every single source I have read seems to think it wont even be officially announced until end of the year and probably not in stores until mid 2014. If it comes earlier, that is certainly good news!

I hope with the new FF NEX, the EVF will be bigger and better resolution. The technology now versus 2 years ago certainly should be able to provide them with the ability to pack something very much superior than the EVF used currently, even though it is quite good in itself.

Jason
02-16-2013, 03:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

At least for my Nex adapter, using manual lenses without an aperture ring would not appear to very ideal to me. Although one could do it, at least my adapter would not permit one to have any idea of the aperture being used. Unless i'm missing something - which is likely
I have a few K mount lenses without an aperture ring and have never tried them on my NEX. I too have wondered if I attached my Tamron 17-50 to my NEX via my K mount adapter, which aperture will the lens default to? The last setting from when it was an a Pentax body or does it default to the largest aperture or what?

Jason
02-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I have a few K mount lenses without an aperture ring and have never tried them on my NEX. I too have wondered if I attached my Tamron 17-50 to my NEX via my K mount adapter, which aperture will the lens default to? The last setting from when it was an a Pentax body or does it default to the largest aperture or what?

Jason
Just get a low cost PK-NEX adapter with aperture control ring.
02-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Looked for that on Amazon, but says its not out yet. Where did you get yours?

Jason
02-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
Banned

Original Poster

Jason
I purchased it from Amazon last year ( Sep 16 2012) . Here is a link to it on Fotodiox.
Fotodiox Pentax K/PK Lens to Sony Alpha Nex E-mount w/ Aperture Contral Camera Lens Mount Adapter, PK Lens to Sony E-Series Camera fits Sony NEX-3, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-7 and Sony Video Camcorder NEX-VG-10 VG10 - Sony NEX - Mirrorless DSLR - Adapters
02-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thats exactly the PK-NEX adapter that i use on my Nex 5n. It does have some limitations, but its not bad.

I just tried mounting that adapter to a Pentax FA50 f1.4. If you rotate the adapter ring with the Lock to Open markings, all the way to the open position, you will see by looking into the lens, that the lens is fully open to F1.4. If you set the aperture ring on the FA50f1.4 to f8, and then rotate the adapter ring to "lock", the lens will partially shut down the diaphragm to the f8 position. So in that way, you can adjust the FAlens and PK adapter to any specific aperture.

But take a modern DA lens without any aperture ring. If you install the PK adapter on such a lens, you can easily set it all the way OPEN to the wide open lens aperture, whatever that is. But going in the "LOCKED" direction, you will see the diaphragm start to close as the adapter ring is shut down, but you will not know exactly what aperture (smaller than wide open) that you are at.

So the PK-NEX adapter works best on a Pentax lens with a manual aperture ring, still has some aperture functionality on a Pentax FA lens, but will not tell the operator what aperture number you are at on a modern DA lens. You can still reduce the aperture wtih the LOCK/OPEN ring, but you won't know what numerical f-stop you are at.

@kenafein
I didn't buy the Nex 6 for similar reasons. I think if Sony makes the Nex FF as fully firmware featured as they can so as to out-strip the D600, they will have a winner on their hands. If they cripple the Nex FF firmware so it won't undermine the A99, then it will be less successful.

I carry around my 5n a lot, but its a good example of unnecessary crippling in my mind. Take the ABM mode, anti-blur motion, where it stacks up to 6 images to remove blur. Its an amazing piece of firmware, except they crippled it against the same mode in their Alpha cameras. You can't adjust the parameters in the Nex ABM mode, where you can in Apha line(so i've been told). Also, Nex ABM is restricted to jpeg output, don't know about the Alpha line. I won't pay $1700 to $2000 for a crippled Nex FF camera, but i'd be tempted if they make it all it can be.

Sony has the opportunity to build a stellar Nex FF, and they need a winner like it can be. But will they let the designers have a free hand - hope so.

Last edited by philbaum; 02-16-2013 at 08:04 PM.
02-17-2013, 03:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I just hope it ends up working for Contax G and M mount.
Check this out: Contax G to NEX successfully developed. | sonyalpharumors

Jason
02-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Jason
There are numerous cheap DA-NEX adapters on ebay. I bought one recently to use my DA35/f2.4 and Tamron 17-50. It cost ten quid or so. Aperture needs to be guesstimated, other than wide-open and fully stopped down, but it's OK.