Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

considering trade for sony

Hi everyone.

First of all, i love my k5. And spotmatic too.
But...

I´m doing a lot of video lately, and as sad as it might be, working with pentax is a real pain in the ***
The video quality it self is pretty good compared to canon, but the lack of control is a huge downside.

So, i´m considering abandon pentax a get into sony system. Nex 7, nex 6 or alfa77.

Anyone been in this situation? any suggestion/advice?

02-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If video is your passion, you should feed your passion. Go with what best suits your neeeds.
02-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Banned

I wanted better video with my Pentax lenses so I purchased the Panasonic GH2 back in 2010 and then a few months ago I purchased the Sony NEX-VG900 full frame camcorder that could use all of my Pentax full frame and APS-C lenses since it has both full frame and APS-C mode. The only lenses I purchased so far for the VG900 is the 24mm F1.4 Rokinon, 35mm F1.4 Bower and 16-50mm Sony power zoom lens. If you have a limited budget then the NEX-6 or 7 should work great in APS-C mode for video or wait for the 7N.

QuoteQuote:
Trusted sources told us that the new NEX-7n is going to be announced in one month and it will be available in stores by May. The new NEX-7n will look almost the same of the current NEX-7 but feature major changes inside the body. Every aspect has been improved and the main goal from Sony was to outperform the top MFT model like the Panasonic GH3 and Olympus OMD. Sensor, viewfinder and autofocus have been improved. I am working on the specs right now. And there may be some new E-mount lens too (like the Zeiss zoom).
(SR5) Sony NEX-7n to be announced in one month! | sonyalpharumors
02-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

hm,

recognize this...
I recently needed videofeature as well for pentax (have a k20d a a bunch of lenses..) and signed up for classes.

So i started looking around & must say I: i was tempted by sony (A57). very nice camera, as is A77. IS and nice set of lenses.

In the end, i purchased a K01 since rather inexpensive, which I think is fine to learn video for a year (or two at the most).
By then, i hope pentax has a real good offering for video. if not, I will move away, and maybe as mentioned above, choose a system that can handle my old manual pentax lenses as they are great for videowork....

If the A57 would have taken pentax lenses, i would have bought it. The nex series are a bit too small for me.
& the NEX-VG900 is not an option now. still too much too learn. When I know more about video, offerings on the market will have changed.
not sure if this helps...

02-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
sound promising. The nex6 seems to have a nice focus system, but lacks the jack input. If they improve the nex7, probably is the way o go.
02-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sarabico Quote
sound promising. The nex6 seems to have a nice focus system, but lacks the jack input. If they improve the nex7, probably is the way o go.
I love my NEX cameras, but what about picking up a K-01 for 299? It's such a bargain right now. I am not a video guy though.
02-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I love my NEX cameras, but what about picking up a K-01 for 299? It's such a bargain right now. I am not a video guy though.

The k-01 sounded really cool, but tried one few days ago, and it´s incredible slow. even with a fast lens.

02-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

you need to install new firmware first...
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Firmware updates suck. I wouldn´t be needing to change system if in the latest firmware update for the k5 offered manual control over video.
Is not that hard... i guess
02-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Do you have to trade? Why not do what I did and keep your Pentax gear and also buy into the NEX system as well? Both systems have their pros and cons and surely you can make use of a lot of your Pentax glass on an NEX as I do. You never know, if/when Pentax releases a FF body or at least a full featured mirror-less body with decent AF, you'll be glad you kept your Pentax gear.

Or you can always wait and sell it next year if you are find9ng you are not using it any longer.

Jason
02-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

NEX-7n is on the way and should be announced in a few weeks.

Jason
02-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't really have money to spend i new gear, so the idea is to make some kind of trade. But i´m not in a hurry. Will see what's gonna be...
02-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Firmware updates suck. I wouldn´t be needing to change system if in the latest firmware update for the k5 offered manual control over video.
Is not that hard... i guess
a bit harsh no?
Every brand will have it's frustrations, i'm sure.

if you are after manual control for video, pick K01 for now. especially at current price. you think it is too slow, ok, firmware update... it does help.

Besides, don't know what kind of video you do, but whatever the cam, your videos will improve by NOT using AF! speed issue resolved...
video entiles so much more than just the cam anyway.

ps: but to be honest, if pentax doesn't show a lot more progress in video some time soon, i'll end up making the trade sooner than yourself!
Or at least, as Jason mentions, start buying myself into two brands
02-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Banned

Get the Pentax K-01 for $300 if you have limited funds and want full manual control in video mode.
Pentax K-01 Digital Camera (Black) 15222 B&H Photo Video
03-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Get the Pentax K-01 for $300 if you have limited funds and want full manual control in video mode.
Pentax K-01 Digital Camera (Black) 15222 B&H Photo Video
The Wedding Speech - YouTube
Behind the Scenes - The Wedding Speech - YouTube
Made my mind already. I´m searching for a panasonic gh3.