Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon G1X Reasonably Priced

Finally, the G1X price has come down to reasonable levels. It can be picked up at Amazon for $600, which puts it in XZ-2, X20 and RX100 range, with of course a much larger sensor.
Do you guys think it is cheap enough to pick it up despite its handling complaints?

Amazon.com: Canon G1 X 14.3 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 4x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom Lens Full 1080p HD Video and 3.0-Inch Vari-Angle LCD: Camera & Photo

02-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Won't make me budge from getting the Fuji X20. Once you have handled the fine quality solid body of the X10/X20 it is hard to accept anything less. The OVF of the X20 with information overlay is also a strong selling point for those in bright climates. The new Fuji sensor also appears to offer a higher standard than most in this camera range.
Of course....having owned and loved my X10 for the past year and a half, I might be considered biased?

Regards!
02-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Won't make me budge from getting the Fuji X20. Once you have handled the fine quality solid body of the X10/X20 it is hard to accept anything less. The OVF of the X20 with information overlay is also a strong selling point for those in bright climates. The new Fuji sensor also appears to offer a higher standard than most in this camera range.
Of course....having owned and loved my X10 for the past year and a half, I might be considered biased?

Regards!
Have you even held the G1X? I find it hard to believe that you have because its build quality is top notch. And while the new Fuji sensor may rival the RX100, the G1X sensor is in a completely different league. It is a good amount larger than the micro 4/3 sensor which itself is a good amount larger than the 2/3 and 1" sensor of the X20 and the RX100.

If you want to bring up handling and the viewfinder, that's a valid argument. But c'mon build quality and the sensor? No way.
02-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For that money, I would look into a Sony NEX with the 16-50 pancake zoom. Believe it or not, the NEX with that lens is actually more compact than the GX1 and miles beyond anything else with a smaller sensor. Another thing to consider is that with the NEX, you have almost unlimited possibilities for expansion versus the GX1.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Jason

02-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Have you even held the G1X? I find it hard to believe that you have because its build quality is top notch. And while the new Fuji sensor may rival the RX100, the G1X sensor is in a completely different league. It is a good amount larger than the micro 4/3 sensor which itself is a good amount larger than the 2/3 and 1" sensor of the X20 and the RX100.

If you want to bring up handling and the viewfinder, that's a valid argument. But c'mon build quality and the sensor? No way.
His post is actually well beyond biased.

And it remains to be seen if the 2/3 sensor performs greater than its size would indicate. Even Fuji fans are ripping the claims apart on DPR because there's little way to get around physics, first thing.