Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
I think so, which is why I want to be sure and have a camera with a big sensor without a removable lens. haha.

I bought a Sony RX100 for concerts, and it's been really good. I'd like to try the Nikon, but it's so expensive.
The new NEX-3n with the 16-50 powerzoom is tiny and looks just like an attached lens camera compact when the camera is off and the lens is retracted, the price for the combo brand new is $499. The RX100 should be capable enough, no?

Jason

03-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
You could do the same with the NEX-5 or 3 and have way more options for lenses. Believe it or not, the NEX is actually smaller than the Nikon. With the pancacke zoom, the NEX fits into most pockets and delivers K-5 like quality.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Jason
Sorry but I find the NEX way more bulky once you attach a lens, even a pancake :

Compact Camera Meter
03-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Sorry but I find the NEX way more bulky once you attach a lens, even a pancake :

Compact Camera Meter
It may be considered bulkier because its not flat like the Nikon, but its very small and takes very little space with the 16-50 attached. With the lens attached, it barely protrudes further than that grip does (referring to my NEX-5N). Even when you don't need to shove it a pocket,which I don't really feel the need to do with any camera other than the one on my phone, having the ability to attach pretty much any lens ever made is reason enough to choose this over a built in, 1 trick pony lens as the Nikon boasts. No comparison really.

Jason
03-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The new NEX-3n with the 16-50 powerzoom is tiny and looks just like an attached lens camera compact when the camera is off and the lens is retracted, the price for the combo brand new is $499. The RX100 should be capable enough, no?

Jason
Taking apertures and sensor sizes into consideration, the RX100 is pretty much a mini NEX. You'll be surprised how good it is for a pocket camera. There is a gulf between it and everything else.

03-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #50

Photos: Gallery
The RX100 is such a good camera.
03-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #51
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tried out the Coolpix A (silver) in a Nikon showroom yesterday. I was interested in the camera because I have enjoyed using a GR Digital for the past 7 years, which was very expensive when I bought it. So I have no objection to the idea of an expensive camera with a fixed 28mm lens in principle. Sorry, I made no attempt to evaluate image quality, but the samples look good.

Good
- Compact understated design.
- No need for a lens cap.
- Good amount of direct controls for a compact.
- Manual focusing is great. There's a physical switch to select between AF, MF and macro and a very smooth focus-by-wire ring around the lens.
- Build quality is very nice. All metal. Imagine the build of a DA Limited spread across a whole camera.
- Being made in Japan will appeal to some people.

Bad
- Strange grip. It's better than nothing but not especially comfortable. Do they think it looks smarter than having a large expanse of rubber?
- No focus peaking in current firmware, so the manual focus is not as useful as it could be.
- Having said that the build quality is nice, it still doesn't feel like it justifies the price. It's not that much better than other cameras.
- Focussing seems a bit slow. It's CDAF, so can probably be improved with firmware updates.
- Minimum focus in macro mode is too far. You often want to get up close with that angle of view.
- Its a two-handed camera. The button placement means that you'll have to bring up your left hand to do simple things like EV comp. It seems clear that Nikon has tried to keep the controls as close to their DSLRs as possible. I think when Ricoh designed the GRD, they came without that baggage and came up with a better control scheme for a compact.

I use a K-01 with a DA 21mm Ltd, so I'm not about to buy a camera like this. If I were starting from scratch and had the money, I think I'd go for a GXR with the 28mm module at half the price over this, even now. I also think that if Ricoh really does release a GRD with an APS-C sensor, it would be better than this almost by default. I hope they can do that soon and prevent their users from jumping over to Nikon.
03-16-2013, 01:48 AM   #52
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I also think that if Ricoh really does release a GRD with an APS-C sensor, it would be better than this almost by default. I hope they can do that soon and prevent their users from jumping over to Nikon.
I just can't even begin to imagine how expensive an APS GRD would be.

Also I'm not too hot about the wide angle for a prime. Some might be, maybe for street shooters, but I really wish someone would step up and do another 35 (we have the X100, X1, and RX1 for that, too) and/or 50. IMO, Ricoh missed out on the GXR by not making a fast 50 module. Hell, if any of their modules were fast, things would be quite different for that system.

03-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some "real-user" pics :

Nikon COOLPIX A - a set on Flickr