Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
You're forgetting about macro. The DOF of the small Q sensor is a huge advantage for extreme macro too. It even has professional applications that no other camera can do. So it's not a joke at all. Think of using this for photographing a jeweler's products. Or the products of an electronics manufacturer.
Good point! Everyone has spent so much time talking about telephoto work with the Q, I never even thought about macro.

03-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Back to the original question, I own a NEX-3, and have regular access to a K-01. Excluding the flash limitations of the early/low spec NEX models, it is a far more versatile system.

* The screen "behavior" is better.
* The tilting screen is very helpful, I use mine with a hood like it is a TLR.
* The prevalence of inexpensive, high quality lens adapters allows easy use of an overwhelming majority of the classic SLR and rangefinder lenses. With the K mount you ask what fits, with the NEX system you ask what doesn't fit. M42, M39, MD, FD, K, Alpha, EOS, F, Leica M, Olympus Pen, and C mount are all common adapters that are readily available. There is even a tilt adapter for everyday F mount lenses.

If you can afford it, I would go with the NEX-6.
03-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have my NEX 5N before the purchase of my K-5. And I have K20D and K7 when I get NEX 5N. It is the best traveling camera that I have gotten. I used to like my past K-x for traveling light, but my NEX 5N is up a couple of notches in terms of size, lightweight and good high ISO performance.

To be honest, I think you can do just as well if you venture into Fuji, Olympus or Panasonic. They all do have a MILC that is well suited for traveling light.

As for the NEX, it is lacking flash, I recently get Wansen Hot-Shoe adapter for NEX

and you can visit my blog page for reference as I used my NEX5N with an external flash and Cactus v5. I have to use flash in manual mode. I have many articles in my blog posts and flickr stream mixing between my K-5 and NEX 5N. Both are used in my hobby and I will not dump one over the other as they both serve me good. In traveling light, my NEX is my go-to camera.

[update:] If you consider the NEX and that if you can afford it, go with NEX 6 or NEX 7. Both come with an EVF which is missing in the 5N.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 03-13-2013 at 02:06 PM.
03-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Sony Nex 3N brand new march 2013, cheap, super wide lens (16-50),
Built in flash, APS-C, light: 210gr,
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=105...52921666540746