Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to resist the urge to switch to Canon?

Their ads are everywhere, even here, so they must be teh besto?

Or is displaying Canon ads to people anonymously browsing the forums an added incentive to get Pentax loyalists to register and log into this site so they don't have to see the ads anymore?

(And yes, I realize it's probably just a semi-auto choice of ads aimed at a camera forum, but these things will still always make me laugh)

Attached Images

03-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The best way to resist the urge to switch to Canon is to hold one or use one.

*rimshot*

(just kidding, keep calm everybody)
03-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not our fault Pentax doesn't have an ad budget, as unfortunate as it may be. With that said, canon and nikon are both blacklisted keywords, so it's interesting that those ads are being rotated...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I suggest you you verify how many old Canon lenses will work on their new creations. Admittedly you may only use the old stuff for creative purposes and not use it every day.

03-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I suggest you you verify how many old Canon lenses will work on their new creations. Admittedly you may only use the old stuff for creative purposes and not use it every day.
26 years of EF lenses, and you can mount any modern lens on any old EF body or vice versa, retaining functionality including IS and AF.

Plus, you can adapt all those old Takumars just fine for Canon too. (And K-mounts for that matter.)

Meanwhile, Pentax opts to cripple their mount so you can't use a bunch of standard K-mount lenses without the green button...
03-15-2013, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Ads are ads ... and I won't hate on Canon. I use both Pentax and Canon cameras (as well and Olympus and Fuji) at the moment and just about every camera system from every major brand has its strengths and weaknesses.

Pentax's biggest strengths are: image quality (they get the most possible out of Sony's sensors), great build quality in a small package (the K-7 and K-5 generations of bodies have almost 1D series build quality but in a package the size of a Rebel), and those beautiful Pentax primes (particularly the FA and DA Limited line).

Canon's biggest strengths are: AF speed (not more accurate than Pentax, but usually faster since the Canon AF algorithm doesn't do that "double check" which takes a fraction of a second after it lands on the focus spot the way that Pentax cameras do), the flash system (Canon and Nikon are way ahead of Pentax if you're an event photographer or wedding photographer who needs to rely on flash), and the huge third-party support for the EOS system (you can find just about anything you want for Canon cameras but might have to struggle to find a specific accessory for Pentax).

Ergonomics are a wash ... some people like Canon ergonomics and some prefer Pentax. I think Pentax cameras generally feel better in your hands and have a more logical layout but I don't think Canon is terrible and I can train my brain to use it.
03-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A better question would be: "Why resist the urge to switch?"

03-15-2013, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
A better question would be: "Why resist the urge to switch?"
Because it costs money to reduce your IQ, unless you're sports shooter.
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #9

Are we Pentaxians or are we photographers? Answer: both. Many of us own many cameras collected over the years. If one is an active user/purchaser of cameras one probably has a Canon in the mix somewhere. I am drawn to Pentax because I started with them, but I went to Canon after that and I still like them. It appeared to me that in the 80's Pentax had lost it's mo jo. Now Pentax with Ricoh aid is coming back and I applaud their efforts, but more important than the camera I use are the pictures I take. I also drive a Chevy and a Ford.
03-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #10

As we see Pentax coming back I see Nikon slipping. They were the Cadillac of the SLR for decades and while still popular, I don't hear or see much about them. Sure pros still use the Nikon, but they use Canons as well. Nor do I see many pros, or pictures of pros taking pictures, using a Pentax. I wish it were otherwise, it used to be.

May the best maker of cameras win. Could that be Pentax?
03-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Because it costs money to reduce your IQ, unless you're sports shooter.
There is no perfect camera - and everything is a compromise in some respect. Rather than an endless chase for the best, perfect, what ever - I made a choice, and its good enough - plus I have enough glass and just can not justify changing for the sake of change.

Having said that, if I was shooting to put a roof over the family and food on the table, I would use what ever would bring in the business, and keep customers coming back.

03-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
The best way to resist the urge to switch to Canon is to hold one or use one.

*rimshot*

(just kidding, keep calm everybody)
agreed. bleh I can't stand the feeling of a Canon camera. "ergonomic" my left cheek. :P
03-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I've never got on too well with Canon ergos myself, but that's more a case of training muscle memory. I've got a D800 now, and get on very well with it, but the best camera I've had for every button and dial being in exactly the right place was my K5. The most important thing though is what you do with a camera, and that comes through familiarity, which teaches you what the camera can do and how to use it. For example, the AF in the D800 is head and shoulders above the K5 (as it should be for the price) but I learnt how to use the K5 within its capabilities so I rarely missed a shot. The flash system for events and weddings is much nicer though, as is being able to buy four YN560s for the price of the equivalent Pentax strobe and control them separately direct from the on-board flash.
03-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy what you want, you're making an informed decision and marketing should only make you aware of what other products are around, rather than stir you to buy the product impulsively. Just try (extensively) before you buy.
03-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It's nice to see considered viewpoints like these, rather than the rabid fanboyism I encounter on other sites. People who have experience of various camera systems can usually find much to like, and some things to dislike, but it is hard too find a duff camera these days. As a previous poster said, no camera is perfect. These days, I shoot Pentax K-5 and Nikon D800. They are both fantastic cameras and their capabilities well exceed mine. I have owned a Canon camera back in the film days - an AE1, but although it was a good camera, I never really took to it as it was shutter priority and I preferred to set the aperture. So, I sold it to my brother, and went back to Pentax. He has used Canon ever since. The AE1 is now in my collection, having been given back to me. I'm sure it's still capable of taking great photographs.

What is the point of all this? Just that I'm a fan of Pentax, but not a fanboy. I love my K-5 and my lenses, but I don't hate other brands of cameras: I am aware of their good qualities. I just wish that Pentax was marketed on the same lines as the big two, so that people were more aware of what great products they are, and can make informed choices. I'd hate them to buy a DSLR without having at least "held a Pentax".